WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Addiction

Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 PM
BluebellCharm (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25
Default Addiction

So, I have my own experiences of addiction however for research purposes I could do with a varied opinion. So my question is if you have ever had any kind of addiction, did you give up your addiction and if so, how? Or if not how does it affect your life and loved ones?

Last edited by BluebellCharm; 10-26-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

I was addicted to smoking cocaine in the late eighties/early nineties. I also did every other kind of drug handed to me. I was playing music in and around Los Angeles and it ended in me crashing and burning and fucking up every connection and bridge I had. I sold all my basses and equipment for drugs and was homeless for a couple months. A friend of mine loaned me his old junky Honda Prelude to live in and I ended up driving it to Phoenix where my mom put me up for a couple of months.

I quit on my own, but I really had to hit rock bottom. I never told my mom about any of it but I think she knew. She never said anything about it to me. She was a recovering alcoholic.

Later I dabbled in weed and alcohol but when my wife got pregnant with our first she threatened to leave if I continued getting high.

I quit everything for almost 20 years.

Now I drink a little beer but am careful not to be excessive about it. No hard alcohol or elicit drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
BluebellCharm (10-29-2016)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM
AlicinMadnessdg (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by BluebellCharm View Post
So, I have my own experiences of addiction however for research purposes I could do with a varied opinion. So my question is if you have ever had any kind of addiction, did you give up your addiction and if so, how? Or if not how does it affect your life and loved ones?
So this is a late reply but I think addiction is a really interesting topic. I have never had any hard drug addictions but I smoked cigarettes for 6 years and used to drink fairly heavily (blackout drunk 4 nights/week). I've always been fascinated by drug use though, in terms of how different chemicals alter perception in different ways. At the end of my first year of grad school I was only sleeping 2-3 hours per night and hallucinated constantly. I was hospitalized for "sleep-deprived psychosis" and given a large dose of antipsychotics intravenously. I thought at the time it was acid and I was taking part in a social experiment, which was cool until they stole my childhood memories.

Around that time I had a friend who was an ex-heroin user who told me he quit cold-turkey when his wife committed suicide 7 years prior. He explained that injecting a drug is the most immediate and efficient high, followed by snorting and then oral consumption (I snorted morphine once in high school, which resulted in a nasty drip, and is why I never snorted anything ever again).

So back to the IV antipsychotic, up until the injection I had a constant screaming in my head that stopped almost immediately. I was able to breathe fully for the first time in a long time. that was 5 years ago and I have a lingering fear I now have have an IV drug addiction though I've never injected any other hard drug (or had someone do it for me). I'm told that's just "irrational fear" and "paranoia."

So, again, I apologize for the late reply as well as my random babble. I have a flash fiction piece I wrote about my experience you may (though I do not know anything about you) find interesting. Additionally, I typed this ridiculously long response on an iPad kind of late (for me) in the day, so I apologize for grammatical and technological (autocorrect, etc) mistakes I have made. When I get to a real computer I will find a way to share my flash fiction piece.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by AlicinMadnessdg View Post
So this is a late reply but I think addiction is a really interesting topic. I have never had any hard drug addictions but I smoked cigarettes for 6 years and used to drink fairly heavily (blackout drunk 4 nights/week). I've always been fascinated by drug use though, in terms of how different chemicals alter perception in different ways. At the end of my first year of grad school I was only sleeping 2-3 hours per night and hallucinated constantly. I was hospitalized for "sleep-deprived psychosis" and given a large dose of antipsychotics intravenously. I thought at the time it was acid and I was taking part in a social experiment, which was cool until they stole my childhood memories.

Around that time I had a friend who was an ex-heroin user who told me he quit cold-turkey when his wife committed suicide 7 years prior. He explained that injecting a drug is the most immediate and efficient high, followed by snorting and then oral consumption (I snorted morphine once in high school, which resulted in a nasty drip, and is why I never snorted anything ever again).

So back to the IV antipsychotic, up until the injection I had a constant screaming in my head that stopped almost immediately. I was able to breathe fully for the first time in a long time. that was 5 years ago and I have a lingering fear I now have have an IV drug addiction though I've never injected any other hard drug (or had someone do it for me). I'm told that's just "irrational fear" and "paranoia."

So, again, I apologize for the late reply as well as my random babble. I have a flash fiction piece I wrote about my experience you may (though I do not know anything about you) find interesting. Additionally, I typed this ridiculously long response on an iPad kind of late (for me) in the day, so I apologize for grammatical and technological (autocorrect, etc) mistakes I have made. When I get to a real computer I will find a way to share my flash fiction piece.
You have become one of the most interesting people in my immediate life.

Go to a library and use their "real computer" (this is what I do when my stuff breaks [or ... ahem ... gets broken]) to post your flash fiction.

Seems the Madness in your handle is earned rather than awarded.

Bravo!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 AM
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
You have become one of the most interesting people in my immediate life.

Go to a library and use their "real computer" (this is what I do when my stuff breaks [or ... ahem ... gets broken]) to post your flash fiction.

Seems the Madness in your handle is earned rather than awarded.

Bravo!
Thank you Nick, I am honored. I do actually have a "real computer" however it is too much of a hassle to use late in the evening. I have to actually wake the damn thing up and then answer a bunch of questions about what I'm doing, which requires a long explanation to my husband about my sudden obsession with replying *Right Now* to some online thread that will likely be in the same place 12-18 hours later.

Anyway, to post my flash fiction article I need to make a couple other posts first so I can include an image. Of an equation. Because I can't find Greek characters to add any other way. But I am on my way!
The Following User Says Thank You to AlicinMadnessdg For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by BluebellCharm View Post

Does having carried a syringe (the kind with the pacifier nipple, folks) on a thread around the neck (under a shirt of course) indicate an association with addiction?

Just looked through the 'net. The type I am referring to don't exist even in pics anymore.

Well ... learn something every day, eh?

Maybe I imagined some parts of the past I think I lived.

Hey, if my imagination is that developed maybe I should try being a writer.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 03-08-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Does having carried a syringe (the kind with the pacifier nipple, folks) on a thread around the neck (under a shirt of course) indicate an association with addiction?

Just looked through the 'net. The type I am referring to don't exist even in pics anymore.

Well ... learn something every day, eh?

Maybe I imagined some parts of the past I think I lived.

Hey, if my imagination is that developed maybe I should try being a writer.

Now I'm startin' to wonder if my entire personna is the representation of some heavy guy in New Jersey living in his invalid mother's basement's ability to create an online character.

I wonder if Mickey Mouse has these moments of introspective self worth.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Now I'm startin' to wonder if my entire personna is the representation of some heavy guy in New Jersey living in his invalid mother's basement's ability to create an online character.

I wonder if Mickey Mouse has these moments of introspective self worth.
Consider a Bill Hicks quote about the lack of positive drug stories in the news.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather."

Reality is a subjective term, defined by one's perception. I once held a mind-blowing conversation with myself via text message through a 10-year time warp. One self was a woman in her mid-20s standing next to a loft bed in her efficiency apartment, upon whom the entire universe was collapsing, and the other self was a guy in his late-30s sitting in his apartment 15 miles away reeking of incense and playing with his pet snake Dumbala.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:29 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by AlicinMadnessdg View Post
Consider a Bill Hicks quote about the lack of positive drug stories in the news.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather."

Reality is a subjective term, defined by one's perception. I once held a mind-blowing conversation with myself via text message through a 10-year time warp. One self was a woman in her mid-20s standing next to a loft bed in her efficiency apartment, upon whom the entire universe was collapsing, and the other self was a guy in his late-30s sitting in his apartment 15 miles away reeking of incense and playing with his pet snake Dumbala.

I wanna be one of your alternate personalities.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 AM
Connor (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 11

I come from a family of addictive personalities - alcohol, gambling, shopping. My experience with addiction is different from most as I have an extreme penchant for control. I have to control everything in my life, and so as soon as something is beyond my control, I find a way to force myself to stop. I went through a stage of spending £100 a month on gambling and always losing it. Now I buy one weekly scratch card to prove to myself I can beat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I come from a family of addictive personalities - alcohol, gambling, shopping. My experience with addiction is different from most as I have an extreme penchant for control. I have to control everything in my life, and so as soon as something is beyond my control, I find a way to force myself to stop. I went through a stage of spending £100 a month on gambling and always losing it. Now I buy one weekly scratch card to prove to myself I can beat it.

Wouldn't beating the activity be not doing it at all?
Isn't once a week gambling, no matter the cost, gambling?

Not lookin' to fault your progress here, Connor.
Just seein' it from a do or don't (my approach) technique.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

i was addicted to alcohol for awhile, would burn through a case of beer easy and it didnt help that my family would always just buy more lol, how i beat it? simple, some of my brothers moved out and we stopped being able to afford it as much so i grew out of it, i guess it wasnt a super serious addiction but it certainly was a really bad habit drinking that much, i have still yet to loose the belly from that lol
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

I am becoming dependent on reading posts by chat bot.

There. I've said it.

Yes, admitting an addiction may be the first step towards recovery but I'm not ready to stop.
copenhagen_dipz (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM
copenhagen_dipz (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 27

I am becoming dependent on reading posts by chat bot.

There. I've said it.

Yes, admitting an addiction may be the first step towards recovery but I'm not ready to stop.
That sounds worse than any substance addiction I can imagine Nick.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by copenhagen_dipz View Post
That sounds worse than any substance addiction I can imagine Nick.

And it only makes recovery more difficult that the affliction is not medically recognized.

Like being a drunk in the '50s.

And yes, I am on the site this morning looking to score.
Ain't had nothin' fresh for two days and I'm startin' to feel undistracted from the mind numbing horror of normal reality.
copenhagen_dipz (03-25-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:23 AM
madisheridan (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

nasal sprays, 8 years and counting. if i don't use this stuff, i can't breathe at all
any advice on how to gradually quit this stuff?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 345

Damn. That's a long time. When I was in high school, I had a cold and just grabbed some Afrin from the medicine cabinet and started using it without paying much attention to the directions. Big time rebound effect. But I was only on it for a couple of weeks.

I switched to old school nasal spray (Dristan?) and saline, and I used decongestants. And I did a whole lot of mouth breathing. Nights were the worst. I can't remember how long it took to kick -- maybe 3 or 4 days.

Otherwise, you might want to see a doctor about that...

Last edited by Myers; 08-05-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:36 AM
marshajonnes (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Interesting topic, thank you

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe