WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

A book starting in the middle

Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 PM
ADreamer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default A book starting in the middle

Not sure how to explain it.

Essentially what would be a "prologue" starts the story in the middle of the book.

Example - prologue gives the guys talking about some high profiled guy they just murdered and what to do now.

The next chapters flashback / backtrack to X number of days beforehand and explain the planning / build up to the event. Then you get to the murder and continue on.

Now I know a number of prologues start this way anyways, however, how to do with without giving too much away?

Bind me in chains. Throw me in the darkest prisons. Cut out my tongue. Break my fingers. Here do you want my eyes? It matters not. For it is you who fears not I; and so you will never quiet my voice.

If people really feared they would say something wrong, then the world would be blissfully quiet. Why, you ask. Because then no one would open their mouth.

It is not the brave who are foolish, it is the foolish who are brave.

Literary fiction takes skill. Unlike other forms of fiction the authors can't be afraid to grab the ugly side of humanity by the horns and pull it kicking and screaming into the light.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

[QUOTE=ADreamer

Now I know a number of prologues start this way anyways, however, how to do with without giving too much away?

[/QUOTE]

Get a ghost writer who's skill is up to the task?

That apostrophe on who's is in the wrong place, isn't it?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Beaviz81 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 4

Thats the Ibsen-start. You start in the middle and backtrack.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 750
Default A book starting in the middle

Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages. -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Other than that, I've found that describing what the writing 'will' be, and asking for advice, is less likely to produce the results you desire, than posting a chunk of the actual work.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
wyf (03-29-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:11 AM
ADreamer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages. -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Other than that, I've found that describing what the writing 'will' be, and asking for advice, is less likely to produce the results you desire, than posting a chunk of the actual work.
The only book I ever read by Vonnegut was Slaughterhouse Five. No insult but Vonnegut wrote for readers who needed every little detail in such black & white writing that a blind man could "see" it. In that book, he gives a rather interesting concept - the meaning of life. The potential depth to that one question could make an entire book - Kilgore answers it five seconds later with life has no meaning beyond been the eyes & ears of the Creator. Okay so then someone born deaf and blind thus has an utterly meaningless existence in the world.

I prefer writing my non-fiction or reading fiction books where the readers actually have to engage the brain and think about what is being said beyond what is on the page rather than be half asleep turning pages. Probably why I could never, even as a teenager, get past chapter 2 of books like Harry Potter.

As for sharing I probably will when I get some time next weekend.

Bind me in chains. Throw me in the darkest prisons. Cut out my tongue. Break my fingers. Here do you want my eyes? It matters not. For it is you who fears not I; and so you will never quiet my voice.

If people really feared they would say something wrong, then the world would be blissfully quiet. Why, you ask. Because then no one would open their mouth.

It is not the brave who are foolish, it is the foolish who are brave.

Literary fiction takes skill. Unlike other forms of fiction the authors can't be afraid to grab the ugly side of humanity by the horns and pull it kicking and screaming into the light.

Last edited by ADreamer; 03-27-2016 at 05:13 AM..
Old 03-27-2016, 07:09 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Get a ghost writer who's skill is up to the task?

I don't mind if the apostrophe is left hangin' but I sure would appreciate knowin' it's hangin' in the correct place.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

I don't mind if the apostrophe is left hangin' but I sure would appreciate knowin' it's hangin' in the correct place.

Oh, fudge!

I've gone off topic again.

*sigh*

Back to the corner.
Hey, maybe the stool top is still warm.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 750

Originally Posted by ADreamer View Post
The only book I ever read by Vonnegut was Slaughterhouse Five. No insult but Vonnegut wrote for readers who needed every little detail in such black & white writing that a blind man could "see" it. In that book, he gives a rather interesting concept - the meaning of life. The potential depth to that one question could make an entire book - Kilgore answers it five seconds later with life has no meaning beyond been the eyes & ears of the Creator. Okay so then someone born deaf and blind thus has an utterly meaningless existence in the world.

I prefer writing my non-fiction or reading fiction books where the readers actually have to engage the brain and think about what is being said beyond what is on the page rather than be half asleep turning pages. Probably why I could never, even as a teenager, get past chapter 2 of books like Harry Potter.

As for sharing I probably will when I get some time next weekend.

Fair enough. What then would be a couple recommendations for 'good' fiction? Something we really have to think about. I agree with the Potter books, but we'll have to disagree about the Vonnegut.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

Oh, fudge!

I've gone off topic again.

*sigh*

Back to the corner.
Hey, maybe the stool top is still warm.

Well wouldya lookit that ... there is a copy of Strunk and White in the time out space.

Don't sweat the apostrophe question, y'all. This book has got that info and then some.

Cheers.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:59 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I think you're looking at the deal wrong.

I think and I have done this,

in my case the start of the story had to have a major part of the story reveled because it was going to take several chapters to get to 'the good stuff'

what I did was take an thought provoking part of the story from the middle and post it at the top, just as it was written in the story -- sort of a preview. and then started the story without a prologue because the first chapter was the prologue and while necessary not very enchanting.

max crash
Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 PM
CandraH

Yep. Whose is belonging to whereas who's is who is abbreviated. You want the former
Old 03-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Yep. Whose is belonging to whereas who's is who is abbreviated. You want the former

Get a ghost writer whose skill is up to the task.

Thank you, Candra.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Fat Tire (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

When this works, it's genius.

When it doesn't, it's tedious.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" - genius

Screenwriters for Breaking Bad - genius

Do what they do
Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 AM
EmyJ (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well, it is ok, I guess...
Few days ago I read an article which is written by Lisa Tener. She is a book writing coach. Maybe this will help you...

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues