WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105
Default Thanks!

I'd like to thank the staff for all the time and effort they put it trying to keep things running smoothly here.

And while I have your attention, I'd like to make a request.

On the right side of the post box, at the top, there's "Thanks" and "Thanks". Now I'm guessing one is thanks given and the other thanks received, but which is which? Is it possible to make it clearer?

Thanks! (Again.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poirot For This Useful Post:
pswgear (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

You know, that's always been confusing from the moment those buttons were installed. Lol! We can bring that up to the "higher powers" here at the forum and see what they can do! (And by "higher powers," I don't mean our admins. Someone else owns our site; they control what the forum physically looks like.)

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

I agree. I believe the top "thanks" is by the member so it perhaps is correct (Thanks: )

The bottom "thanks" would be by someone that has thanked that member, right? "Thanked by:" here would solve the issue. Of course I could have the "thanks" totally confused as to which is the correct "thanks" . . . and have led things into more mass hysteria.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:30 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hey, poirot.

I've never used the thanks button because if I feel a thanks is a good response, I use words to say it.

Go figure...

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hey, poirot.

I've never used the thanks button because if I feel a thanks is a good response, I use words to say it.

Go figure...
I feel the same. There have been a few occasions, a handful of times at most, when I chose to use the thanks button. And yet the numbers tell a different story.

I am guessing there have been a few occasions when a thanks has been registered when none was intended. I need to be more careful and aware.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Binx B

Sometime I read a post, and I do think it's useful or entertaining or funny, but maybe I have nothing to add or for some reason I'm not inclined to comment. So I hit hit the thanks button.

No big deal. I don't really feel the need to take a stand on it.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:22 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Maybe we're bored enough to want to talk about something . Have any suggestions for a new topic?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Binx B

I've got plenty to do.

Like my mom used to say, only boring people get bored.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:46 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

With so much to do, how do you find time to post on such a meaningless thread?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Binx B

There's a difference between boredom and procrastination.

But check out your OP. I've thanked you for your efforts to clear up this very confusing double "THANKS" issue. It's been keeping me awake nights. Glad someone finally addressed it!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Now that I know this cause of sleeplessness has been addressed, I, too, shall sleep better.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Binx B

As I was lying awake worrying about this, I was formulating a plan. I was going to take note of the number associated with each "Thanks" designation, then randomly thank someone and see which number increased by one.

There would have been a small chance that someone would have thanked me simultaneously, but that would been been evident as both numbers would have increased. But I could have just repeated the process as needed.

Fortunately, none of this was necessary.

Are you able to sleep despite those mysterious "Thanks" that seem to be appearing without you having thanked anyone? Because that seems like a real cause for concern.

What if members are building up a false confidence based on receiving "Thanks" they didn't deserve? They might be in for a rude awakening!

Last edited by Binx B; 09-28-2015 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Between waiting for the world to end and worrying about the extra thanks, I was not able to sleep at all last night.

Then I received a call this morning. The govt is looking into the falsifying of thanks indicators. It may be part of a foreign plot to build false confidence among writers worldwide. Of course the reasons for such a plot are top secret and could not be shared with me as I lacked proper clearance.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Binx B

I'm going to start keeping a time-stamped spreadsheet tracking my "Thanks" numbers; for my own peace of mind and to build a body of evidence. I suggest others do the same.

And it's a small measure, but at least we've done our part to make people aware. That's really all we can do.

Stay diligent!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Still waiting for the "higher ups" to see what they can do about making it a little clearer. But! In the meantime, enjoy the nice blue color to the Thanks button. Maybe people will use it more, now that it's separated out from the others!

Twisty mind candy:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
kev (09-28-2015), Tau (10-04-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Shoot! The blue Thanks button for me seems to be avoiding coloration.

Who's color blind spell has been cast upon me? Come forth I say!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:57 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Look North of the button. There you will find blue among the black and white.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

I've looked north and south, guided by the truest of compasses, but only see black.

I think I may have found the culprit of my misfortunes, though. The evil Internet Explorer blinds me from seeing the blue.

Why must you punish me, IE? I've done nothing but deploy you . . . surf with you.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I have heard that IE delights in causing frustrations. No doubt that is why you are prevented from seeing the thanks given and received numbers in blue. Is IE preventing you from seeing them entirely?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

I can see the numbers, but their still black. I may look into divorcing IE. It is frustrating at times.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM
kev (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 62

There's lots of alternative browsers available, Bagit. I've tried quite a few but settled for FireFox and have been trouble free for years.

The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Bagit (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Binx B

Looks like even Microsoft is abandoning IE. I think I read they won't be including it with the next version of Windows.

IE has always made it difficult for developers. It's like so many little bits of code need to have special provisions to accommodate Microsoft's arrogance and disregard for the standards that everyone else can follow. Good riddance!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:53 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Ask and ye shall receive. They are now labeled.

Thanks to all who worked on this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poirot For This Useful Post:
Devon (10-03-2015), Marc Haertjens (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Marc Haertjens (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 27

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. They are now labeled.

Thanks to all who worked on this!
I propose we all thank Poirot for bringing this up, using the correct button.
(Poirot, man, you might be in for the record score of 15.919 thanks received on one post!)

“It’s the artist’s responsibility to balance mystical communication and the labor of creation.” Patti Smith, Just Kids
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 AM
Binx B

On behalf of the membership, I'd like to present the WB Good Citizenship Award to Poirot, for his tireless campaign to resolve the vexing "double thanks" issue.

And here is his signed certificate of appreciation, suitable for framing, plus coupons for a years supply of gourmet canned sardines and the Complete Works of James Patterson, So Far.

Hip hip hurrah!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:03 AM
Amaka Ezeonuogu (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

In my understanding, one thanks is gifted by site on the house for crossing timelines and other administrative hurdles. The other thanks refers to appreciation gifted you by co-members on the site.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback