WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

The book that got you into Reading/Writing

Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 655
Default The book that got you into Reading/Writing

Was there any one book you could say was the impetus for your passion for literature?

Mine is possibly a cliche... a whole load of people jumped on-board with this one after the film. The students I know by and large are gravitated towards it, more because they do drugs and aspire to be reckless than anything else. Those same kids don't tend to read much and don't know who Tom Wolfe or Oscar Acosta is. But, they might don the tight white or denim shorts, with a Hawaiian shirt, golfing visor, sun-glasses and cigarette holder in attempts to look cool.

I was on the train too, and the fact was I hadn't read anything like that before. Hunter S. Thompson's voice truly resonated with me, his brand of comedic and angry satire is inimitable, and I tend to agree with Tom Wolfe that he is one of the, if not the best comedy writers and the 20th century.

Last edited by JohnConstantine; 02-25-2013 at 01:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnConstantine For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

I have not really gotten into reading yet. My angle for writing is a stupid one and certainly not a book.

I have tried many different creative things ... and I lack talent in all of them.
Game programming (guess I have some talent there), level design, drawing/painting, songwriting and playing instruments, modeling and animating in Blender and things like that.

So my interests are all over the place. Here are some of the things that inspired me:
For some reason I thought that writing novels would be a good first step towards establishing a playground with shared intellectual property for creative people.

I am dreaming of getting back into directing, painting (digitally) and maybe programming software that helps with content creation, as soon as the software out there gets more powerful and more easy to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Synopsis:
The Following User Says Thank You to Signature For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 355

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

H.S.T.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
A. Pilgrim (11-27-2013), JustcallmeEd (09-10-2013), NuNu (09-01-2016)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

I'm not sure whether these books are what made me want to write, but I started out by reading Bernard Cornwell's The Starbuck Chronicles. Those four novels based on the American Civil War.

I fondly remember my 20 page story, where five pages were given to recruitment and training, then a big battle during the war that lasted for the remaining fifteen pages. It was a great story!

and

Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 856

The Kama Sutra. Brilliantly illustrated with brief but precise descriptions that highlight the pages with a real sense of authorship that time has not diminshed. A must read..as they say.

My close second would be Horton Hears A Who. Pathos defined.
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

It was a Ladybird book I think - I was nearly three and it was the first one I managed to read entirely by myself with no help. About a cat and a dog -- I know I was sitting in my parents Capri and it was sunny but the story alludes me lol I never looked back, shortly after discovered Enid Blyton's Mr Twiddle. A couple of years later I read Jane Eyre which was my first grown-up book. Wuthering Heights was too much for me and Heathcliff forever remains a big orange cartoon cat in my head. Until I was 21 and my ME ate my brain I read one or two books a day (more if I was off school).

My all time favourite book is Mist Over Pendle by Robert Neill. It is a story about the Pendle Witches (England's biggest Witch trials)

Writing happened by accident 30 years later and was inspired by a character I doodled. My writing heroines are Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie, Dolly Parton and Louisa May Alcott.

Last edited by AnyaKimlun; 02-25-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Lalaley (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

It was probably Matilda, by Roald Dahl. Though, I am sure I read (and was read to) many others before hand. I used to read that over, and over and over! Also, Charlotte's Web.

But, I did stop reading for a while as my love of music and singing took over but the lovely J. K Rowling kindly reminded me that, yes, I do love to read. So, once I got over the idea of being a 'famous' singer I decided that what I really wanted to do was write a wonderful story... I'm still working on that, though...
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Snicket (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 55

Ray Bradbury, it wasn't a particular story as I was just reading a collection of his stories. My favorite is the woman with the frozen leg of lamb though.

Also Poe.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Willoughby (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 7

The Magic Treehouse Series, punks. That was the stuff. You go Mary Pope Osborne.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willoughby For This Useful Post:
Lyndia (08-02-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
ceilidh (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25

Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars...read it when I was eight or thereabouts. Before that, I read anything with words on or in it but none of it inspired me to write my own stuff until I read the John Carter series. I think it was the realization I could invent my own people and places and write them down.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
teenwriter (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Location: Wait.... are you trying to stalk me?!?! Fine, it's 42
Thanks 20

A little book I read in first grade called "No Doubt About It.' This guy taught his parrot to say 'no doubt about it' when he was asked if there was gold buried in the ground...
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Deblerg (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

A bit of a cliched answer for my age group, but Harry Potter is what got me into reading a lot, and from there the desire to write grew on me.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Swamp Thing (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4

This one is going to sound rather erm cliche. The first author and first story to ever get me into writing was The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe and soon after what cemented my very philosophy The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. Poe has become an admiration and my idol. Every year I had to write a biography of someone in the past it would be Poe, our creative writing assignment was to write a poem mimicking the style of another poem it was Poe I chose. My world is influenced and inspired by Poe. However, I must clarify I do not go out to see and mimic Poe. I do not go out to write like Poe either. He simply is someone I admire. I have a secret locket with Poe's picture inside. I keep it in my pocket.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 655

I don't reckon that's cliched. Remember when the Simpsons did it? -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q32y-0zNUtM

Some might consider that a bastardisation, personally I thought it was great, would've been cool if they did more stuff like that.
Swamp Thing (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Swamp Thing (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
I don't reckon that's cliched. Remember when the Simpsons did it? -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q32y-0zNUtM

Some might consider that a bastardisation, personally I thought it was great, would've been cool if they did more stuff like that.
Poe has been a great influence in my life. So I'm glad someone doesn't think it's to cliche.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
Poe has been a great influence in my life. So I'm glad someone doesn't think it's to cliche.
Cliche and stereotypes are there for a good reason. Any writers that don't make good use of them are in my opinion are nuts. They are what give your story that bit of relateablility for a reader.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
There had to be someone.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

I dont remember reading anything that pushed me as much as using this outlet for my violent and angry nature. My boss said at one point, "We need to find more productive things to do with your anger." After I tee'd off on one of his big associates, and i though, HEY Ill write

True story.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Ember (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 47

It is hard to pinpoint one book that got me into reading and writing. I was pretty determined to be a writer when I was still in kindergarten. Originally I loved the "Bearenstein Bears". I would try to write my own books based on my favorite ones. I also loved the "Little Monster" series and "Little Critter" books both by Mercer Meyer. Those ones inspired me to make my own little construction paper books called, "The Monster Family".

After that, I discovered "The Littles" and books by Ruth Chew. Those were all so fascinating and creative! More recently, books by Roald Dahl got me motivated to really crack down and start writing more.

Last edited by Ember; 04-03-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 856

100 Ways to Cook a Cat......excellent information.
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 PM
FascinatingMaki (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

Um... I guess teen advice books really.
When I was younger I dealt with a lot of abuse. I wasn't taken care of well, and often times got pissed off really easy. I wanted to stop though. I read that I needed an outlet. So I picked up a pad,a paper, and wrote. Shortly after I had my mom (a brilliant writer herself) read it, and it was the first compliment she's ever given me. She said it was the best thing she'd ever read and wanted me to write more.
Easy to say I do.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Mine would have to be a blank notebook. The inspiration was there; I just needed a place to put it.

Later on I admired John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Samuel Clemens, Hunter S. Thompson and Larry McMurtry. They all had a knack of describing extraordinary events without peeing all over themselves.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 04-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Better form.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM
twm (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

The Horse And His Boy by C.S. Lewis. Also that same (1982) I got into Dungeons and Dragons.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Classiclitfan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have been a fan of reading since childhood. As far as actual writing, it may have been when I first started reading works by John Steinbeck. We had to read American fiction in my junior year of high school, and my teacher introduced me to Steinbeck. Been a fan of John's ever since.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

I'm an extreme introvert, so I've been reading since I was old enough to realize all those scribbles were letters and words.

I've been writing most of my life for the same reason. No one book is the reason I started writing. However, there is a book series that is responsible for me deciding to get serious about writing a book that I want to get published.

Twilight was the reason. Once I'd read the first book, and seen the movie (my then-girlfriend forced it on me), I realized, essentially, "Aw hell, if THAT crap can get published..."
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Lyndia (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 66
Send a message via Skype™ to Lyndia

Watchers by Dean Koontz. He was a favorite author of mine... he's fallen along the wayside now to make way for different reads, but Watchers was my first "Adult" book that I was allowed to read, if I remember correctly. I remember my dad marking the pages in pen that I wasn't supposed to look at (a very non graphic sex scene). Of course I read them anyway. I cried at the end of the book... it made me realize how insane it is to spend a whole novel length of reading material hating a certain thing/person/entity only to come to sympathize with it in the very end, once you understand it. It made me want to do that to readers everywhere, someday.

I guess I always liked writing, and reading, even as a little kid. But that was a pretty heavy moment when I realized what type of writer I wanted to be, if I ever did become successful.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

My previous post was partially joking, as I hope most of you could figure out. The truth is Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings" is what sealed my desire to write. The idea of not only putting a story down on paper, but using the art of words to create a world anybody could get lost in? Amazed me.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:07 PM
dtg108 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5
Send a message via Skype™ to dtg108

I don't feel like a certain book really intrigued me, but I am a very creative person. To give you an idea, I'm a writer, made several indie movies, and am a game developer. The idea of creating my own world with its own boundaries just intrigued me so much. It's my world, nobody runs it but me. My rules are the only rules. It's just that- my own world- and it feels amazing.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 AM
rose (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 13

Mine would be Anne of Green Gables when I was very little. I used to copy paragraphs of it into my own handwriting and then show it to my mum and tell her I'd written it.
Finally I learned that that wasn't cool so I stared writing my own stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Gaztegulatxe (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Probably James Hilton's Lost Horizon when I was young. I'm not sure I would like it anymore but as a boy I was quite enamoured with the book.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library