WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Favorite author?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 PM
teliotsauce (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Tolstoy! He is a demigod. I think that's fact.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Default Favorite Author

I have a few, but I would say Richard Wright author of "Native Son" and "Outsider".

He has a way of dealing with race and sex relations like no other writer I have read.
He leads a female into the Man's world and explains where a Man becomes a Man, not just a black Man.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Thewritingkid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Mine has to be Rick Riordan. He writes books that I can read over and over again, without getting sick of it.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM
ki11j0y (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 35
Send a message via MSN to ki11j0y Send a message via Yahoo to ki11j0y

Dostoevsky. No contest. Daylight to 2nd place.

Shakespeare is great too. But he's been lost in translation. Too many centuries have gone. I think he might have been the most sublime thinker who ever lived. Philosopher or writer. But he's been burred in time.

Another writer I admire is F. Scott Fitzgerald. I think he knew how to write about women, which is not something many men know how to do---including me.

Bukowski for his commitment to existentialism. It's easy to write about it, like Satre, Bulowski lived it. And wrote about it as well.

In non-fiction, I think Will Durant is the greatest prose stylist who ever lived.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
MaliciousFriday (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

I don't have a single favorite author but I did thoroughly enjoy The Power of 5 series by Anthony Horowitz and The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix.

I love those books.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM
7thMidget (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

The late Portuguese writer José Saramago, definitely.
Hi. Male. 20yo with a Peter Pan complex. Published (easy when you pay for it - don't). Didn't react well to the exposure; went back to the closet. After a couple of years growing up (ugh), publicly reconfirming my passion for writing (anonymously - interesting). Portuguese (I had to pay for that too). I do dislike official intros and excessive use of brackets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Ilae (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

The regretted french child/teenage fantasy author Pierre Bottero, no doubt about it. His works litterally resonate with your soul and inner feelings. A true master of the french language in a beautiful way. Never have I read books that seem so true.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

My favorite is Stephen King. I do think he has influenced my writing. I've learned how poetic simple situations can become with the right wording and how that poetry can create a feeling that impacts the reader as much as the action and dialogue.

Because he's such a close second favorite, I also have to say Joe Hill. I love the originality of his stories. He's one author that can really think of things no one has come up with yet, which is really hard to do with all the books out there. I can't wait for Horns to come out in theatres as it's in a tie with Misery as my favorite book.

Last edited by RyleyAlexander; 08-16-2014 at 08:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RyleyAlexander For This Useful Post:
Lyndia (01-27-2015)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon14 Favorite Author?

Richard Wright author of "Native Son".

His style of writing is a lot of interior monologue, after all he's a writer from the existential period. I also like how he explores the Man's world. For people who can only stand outside of such of world, he opens a door.

His characters are all very believable, today even.
I know I know that girl Mary Dalton.

Yes, he is a role model of sorts.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Alligrace797 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

My favorite author has got to be the one and the only Jackie Collins. I think that Jackie is a strong influence on the way that I write. Jackie is not afraid to push the edge or write the craziest thing ever or make you fall in love with the most unpredictable couple. I want to write stories that go outside of the box and make you think and are funny and dramatic and just wild. The moment that I picked up "Lucky/Chances" at a makeshift library when I was 10, I instantly became hooked on anything Jackie Collins. 27 or 29 books later.....I still find Jackie's writing to illuminating, wild, and extremely entertaining. Everyone says that Jackie is the queen of trash lit but to me she is a master of insanity and someone that has a strong influence on the way that I write stories. I would say Harold Robbins has a strong influence on the way that I write as well but I have only ever read one of his books(Memories of another day.)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 AM
eritahj (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Icon6 My favorite author is..

My favorite author is William Faulkner. My reason is related to the quote below:

In an interview with The Paris Review in 1956, Faulkner remarked:
Let the writer take up surgery or bricklaying if he is interested in technique. There is no mechanical way to get the writing done, no shortcut. The young writer would be a fool to follow a theory. Teach yourself by your own mistakes; people learn only by error. The good artist believes that nobody is good enough to give him advice. He has supreme vanity. No matter how much he admires the old writer, he wants to beat him.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Tom Fitch (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well, it's a little bit of an evolving matter in my case. I can be very fond of an author one moment and read but that and then move on to another.

Lately, two favourites have been:

Tom Wolfe: The Bonfire of the Vanities was sublime IMHO.
Joe Abercrombie: I have really enjoyed the cynical tone in The First Law-trilogy and the spin-off the Heroes.

Tom
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 AM
Agito Z Wilder (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I may have to sat Eoin Colfer right now
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Beth (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

I have to confess my favorite is Jane Austen. I can read her books over and over again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
writes here
Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Littleink (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Mine would have to be Richard Paul Evans.His book always have a twist,which surprise me.Which is a nice touch to an already enjoyable book.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library