WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Favorite author?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

That's your view - I have beautiful pieces of fiction in song form on my playlist. The principles Dolly Parton uses in her characterisation are the same as Shakespeare used in his plays and it creates a full blown character quickly.

Songs often contain beautiful stories and have elements other writers can learn from.

Novelists, short story writers, journalists, poets etc are all writers. Lyricists are also writers as much if not more so than musicians.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 AM
maidahl

Are you singing Shakespeare?
If it was meant to be a song, it is a lyric.

Maybe it was written by a writer, i.e. someone who writes words, not words and notes.

Thus, a writer is not a songwriter that you call a true writer.
A writer knows there is no need to call a writer: a true real writer. That is veritable true literal fact. lIke imaginary horizons and fictional unicorns and bubbly bubble.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Shakespeare's sonnets have been put to music and Burns wrote songs as well as poetry.

Why downplay the writing ability of lyricists? Some of them are exceptional storytellers.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Lalaley (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

My all time favourite is J K Rowling... The Harry Potter books literally changed my life... Ha!

But I also love Philip Pullman, Patrick Rothfuss (I can't even tell you how much I need to read the final Kingkiller book... It's like slow torture waiting for it...) Isobelle Carmody...

Childhood favourite has to be Dahl.. I have lost count of how many times I read Matilda. Such a wonderful story.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
NicolaM (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 9

I actually have so much of a soft spot for Jodi Picoult. Love all the controversial topics, and the twists on the ends. Except Songs of the Humpback Whale or whatever. That was definitely the worst.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
maidahl

Originally Posted by Lalaley View Post
My all time favourite is J K Rowling... The Harry Potter books literally changed my life... Ha!

But I also love Philip Pullman, Patrick Rothfuss (I can't even tell you how much I need to read the final Kingkiller book... It's like slow torture waiting for it...) Isobelle Carmody...

Childhood favourite has to be Dahl.. I have lost count of how many times I read Matilda. Such a wonderful story.
Harry Potter changed everyone's current life. THanks for posting.

-Matilda changed my youth.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM
RobertEvert (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

For me, it changes depending upon who I just finished reading. But Tolkien has always been very, VERY high on the list. Gaiman is also extremely good.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog:

: (New Friends Always Welcome!!)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Gaiman's excellent. My fave has to be King, though Paul Stewart runs a close second.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 375

Alan Moore
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 AM
maidahl

@PickleBottom: I didn't know he was ANYBODY's favorite. Well, somebody's gotta love him that much.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
@PickleBottom: I didn't know he was ANYBODY's favorite. Well, somebody's gotta love him that much.
'Love' is such a strong word, more like worship, idolise, fantasise...
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

Guess mine is Joss Whedon (screenplay, of course). He comes up with the best contrasts, situations and characters.
And the consistency is just unbelievable.

Twitter:

Synopsis:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 AM
maidahl

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
'Love' is such a strong word, more like worship, idolise, fantasise...
Well, yeah. It's a writer's favorit writer. DUH he's an idol to you. Not just you. Tons. But still. There's A person I know who marks him higher than god. Interesting.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
Well, yeah. It's a writer's favorit writer. DUH he's an idol to you. Not just you. Tons. But still. There's A person I know who marks him higher than god. Interesting.
Yeah...well... to take a funny from The Simpsons... I am twice the Alan Moore fan he is I even have the Alan Moore Home Pregnancy Test Kit...
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM
whunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 38
Default Terence McKenna

I'm infatuated with the late Terence McKenna and his bother Dennis. They wrote a book called, The Invisible Landscape, about a trip they took to South America in their early twenties. Check them out if you're interested in counter-culture and outlandish scientific theories.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Why am I Here (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 10

Shakespeare scares the crap out of me with how outstandingly well written some of his work is. He isn't my favorite but i do believe he deserves all the respect and admiration he gets.
Charlie Kaufman i find myself loving not because he's the greatest (though he is pretty damn good) but because everything about him just screams "writer". Other then him my list is fairly cliche' ripe with names like Shelly, Poe, Fitzgerald and a laundry list of others you've all probably guessed. I don't really have a favorite.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 PM
maidahl

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Yeah...well... to take a funny from The Simpsons... I am twice the Alan Moore fan he is I even have the Alan Moore Home Pregnancy Test Kit...
Haha ha ha haaa.

Thanks Jesus for this food. -De nada.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 AM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

dolly parton

the woman is a genius
The Following User Says Thank You to bumhead For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (03-31-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 AM
maidahl

Really?^COol. Vastly overrated. Not as an author. I'll have to look into that
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Igor (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I like Homer - Illiada
But if choose modern I will give my vote to Ru Murakami, I like few of his books very much. I don't like few things in his books but if say about his stories and characters I like them. He often make me love some characters some characters I hate but anyway he could make me to like or hate them also he have original style.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
maidahl

Homer is a safe choice. Your rationalization of him is indifferent, I think.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Igor (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I not well get what is it safe choice? I am not shy any of my tastes even if they will look silly, so I don't get why I need choose something safe. Also Ru Murakami its already not safe choice some people think only psycho like him (I not agree with this people of course). About Illiada I just enjoyed read it when I was younger and enjoyed even more reread a year ago. For me favorite book (and author that made this book) it is the book that you very much enjoyed and feel okey reread it again and again. Of course I can't say that I am big reader, so of course there is many books and authors that I don't know but can like very much. But for now I will choose this two names. Also if I wanted to make safe choice I would choose Russian classic authors (because I am Russian) but if say true I am not into them I like Dostoevski, but don't like Tolstoy and Pushkin that very famous even abroad, but Dostoevski famous abroad too I guess, so if choose from Russian classic authors he will get my vote heh.
And for me favorite author it’s a person who wrote books that you like very much, because I like books, movies, music, and respect their authors that they made it, but I not into their biography.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Nadja

Do you like Turgenev, Igor? I think he's the best of all the Russian writers.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Elsa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I really like Gabriel Garcia Marquez works. they make you believe magic is possible even in real life! but there are many other writer's that I read their works! for fantasy, I like Darren Shan's stories. among Russian writer's I read Bulgakov's books and Dostoyevsky sometimes.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
maidahl

Yeah. His poetry is art. He's artsy as fuck but every off-beat is so well put and prefect. Perfected and purposed as FUCK. His phonetics were probably extreme and gorgeous.

I wish I could have met the guy.

Bulgakov is not as intense as people seem. No! Don't get intimidated. He is vast. He is compared to the greats for a reason. Expands the intellect. Breath of beautiful air. He is really something else.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Bulgakov is a champion, I read his heart of a dog, I wish I had a copy here so I can quote like a maniac, didn't the dog (in the initial stages of his transformation) abuse people...? I wonder where my copy is, some fucker has been rifling through my library...
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Yes, bum, "why'd you come here looking like that" sure has some cool lines Do you enjoy painted on jeans?

On that note I was listening to Paint it Black last night thinking about the stories songs tell as well. To me music is taking the words and elevating them to a place no writer could ever. Maybe not your fair Dolly there but others have sung things that move people to absolute destruction or gain or I suppose wranglers that are too tight which is a form of drestruction I guess.

I think it amazes me really the soul of a poet who can also sing!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

As to the OP I am ALWAYS looking for my next favorite. I am ready to be newly inspired by whatever... Could be a magazine ad
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 AM
littlemel (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default Endless love

Neil Gaiman.

I fell in love with him through Sandman, then even more with "Neverwhere" and "American Gods." I love that he uses a lot of Norse Mythology in his stories (I'm a fan). His characters are diverse, interesting, and fun to read. I just love him, and have loved everything he's done. Plus he's a wicked nice guy!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
FrameOfDust (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

I am new to this website, and I couldn't help but respond to this question. MY favorite author of all time has to be George Macdonald, the grandfather of both Tolkien and Lewis. I mostly love his fairy tales, both the full length ones and also his shorter tales. 'Lilith' is may be my favorite book of all time, with The Smilmarillion neck and neck. I find that the man wrote many many different layers to his works, and if anyone hasn't given him a shot, please do.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library