WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Would this interest you?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM
1000Steps (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Would this interest you?

Hi all.

When I was 26, I had isolated myself from everyone, I had no money, no real friends, and what I perceived to be no future. I made an earnest, very serious, and very nearly successful attempt on my life.

I was recuperating for 6 months after this. I was still trying to research definite ways to take my life. One day I discovered the quote "Every journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step". Something inspired me, so I decided to give myself 1000 days to be successful. I would do something everyday to improve myself. I started with trying to touch type faster. Then it was hitting a tennis ball X times against a wall in a row. Then run a certain distance. I read books on being happy and successful in life and followed their advice.

Today I am 28. I'm engaged to be married to a very sweet and beautiful lady, I own a successful cafe and employ 11 people, with plans to open a second outlet in a few months. I have a business partner who was the CEO of one of Australia's most successful food and beverage businesses, I have many friends, and overall live a happy, well rounded and enjoyable life.

Today I am at day 858.

My question to you, is whether it would interest you to read about how I changed my mindset and way of looking at life, to go from being clinically depressed and overall dysfunctional, to being a well rounded and happy individual? If it would interest you to read about the changes I made to myself so that I could change my life from something I wanted to end, to something I love and enjoy every day?

Thanks for your time and your feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1000Steps For This Useful Post:
jenni1607 (06-23-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
jessihitti (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via MSN to jessihitti

That is spectacular that you are doing so well! Living a happy joyful life is so much better than a depressing one! Way to go.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Yes. That would interest me very much. I think it has loads of potential, based on how you write it and how it's marketed. It smacks of Chicken Soup for the Soul.

There's a book called The Love Dare that made the rounds in the Christian fiction circuit a few years ago when it was featured in a movie that Kirk Cameron starred in. I know people may think it's pretty corny, but lots of people liked the idea. It's a 40 day dare, in which you focus all of your attention in your marriage on your spouse - regardless of your feelings, and you do it in secret. At the end of the 40 days, if you really, truly followed the dare, you are supposed to feel better about your marriage. People claim it fixed their broken marriages.

So, if 40 days is that big, people's reactions to your 1000 days could really be something.

Good luck! And thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Cancer mom blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Writer blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gwyndolin; 03-11-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
El D. (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 26

Congrats! Sounds great. This is similar to what my novel is about.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
AJBC (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

That sounds fantastic mate, definetely sounds like something that could be published. I'd definetely be interested to read it, hope you kept track of everything you've been doing!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Teacake (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 5

yeah - if the engaging style of the intro's anything to go by, it won't just be the content making this an enjoyable read
Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Jeska (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

That sounds like a great book idea! I would be interested in reading it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

This smells like self-help to me! What can I say I am a serial cutter of ones nose in spite of ones face. I'm an idiot essentially, but the last thing I want to read is anything resembling self-help... I'd rather read one of "Jordan's" ghost written novels.

Only Joking
Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 PM
ice_cream (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I have heard about that before , every long distance start with first step , and that is why I can go as far as I am now.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Joe1194 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I would be somewhat interested in hearing about this from you. You sound like you have some inspiring points.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Dexteraj (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Dexteraj

I am listening...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
jenni1607 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 6

Wow this really hit a cord with me. I would be interested in this book, not only as a read, but as something I could apply in my own life too. Great idea!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
chemorga (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

When I first started reading this, I thought it was the intro to your book. Then I realized you were just putting your idea out there for feedback. So if what you intend to write is anything like the question you have posed, I think you can do quite well. You seem to have an engaging writing style.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 377

Perhaps the real question is----would it interest you to write about changing your life?

R.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
bicyclingfish (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 45

While it's inspiring to other people to read your question above, I agree with Waterpoor: YOU have to be inspired by your own story. Give yourself permission to answer his question before you start writing the Great American Self Help Story. If the answer is yes, then I look forward to reading more! If not, then I hope you keep going - you do have an engaging style, and it would be interesting to see what else comes from your proverbial pen.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM
LKwatts (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yes, I would definitely like to read it. I love reading memoirs and autobiography style books anyway but yours sound especially interesting. You have accomplished a major life change and you should be very proud of that.

Smashwords
Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
theshytype (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Wow what a great story! It certainly sounds like great subject matter to me. Like many others said I think it will depend on how you handle the story. I am thinking not really a self help book so much as just an inspiring biography? I am just going to throw out a question that popped in my head, "what are you going to do after day 1,000?" Hopefully you will continue on to many more new journeys!

"Thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings that then I scorn to change my state with kings." Shakespeare
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,758

("...ah but you build your happiness upon the sands of fortune human, and judge yourself by them, for all could go hideously wrong for you still, where neither your wife nor company are guaranteed to you, and where illness, poverty, and death lurk in everyone's shadow, and either way, you will become old if you don't first arrive at self..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...so you would have me respect you because you have rendered unto ceasar where ceasar has rewarded you accordingly, me, I am anonymous, materialism does not interest me, only my journey to self here does, where are you in all that materialism then, you are not what you have...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-19-2011 at 02:31 AM..
Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 PM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...ah but you build your happiness upon the sands of fortune human, and judge yourself by them, for all could go hideously wrong for you still, where neither your wife nor company are guaranteed to you, and where illness, poverty, and death lurk in everyone's shadow, and either way, you will become old if you don't first arrive at self..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...so you would have me respect you because you have rendered unto ceasar where ceasar has rewarded you accordingly, me, I am anonymous, materialism does not interest me, only my journey to self here does, where are you in all that materialism then, you are not what you have...")
Well said Fleaman, but I think it's fair to say this poster disappeared a long time ago. So I doubt they'll reap the benefits of your wisdom
Old 11-24-2011, 03:17 PM
wizardslogic (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

I'd be interested. Of course, I'd like to know if your achievement was "all you" or if you believe that there exists some underlying human or universal "system or law of action and result" that you subconsciously adhered to, so that others might be able to find their own way.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

Too soon, I think.

Bit like these celebs who release their "Secrets To My Perfect Summer Body" DVDs, then revert to the body mass of Moby Dick before Christmas.

Well done on what you've achieved - but this is a good start. Not the winning post.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Agree with others that its great subject matter. If you wrote it though, you'd want to be careful not to get too preachy. What worked for you won't necessarily work for everyone. But if it was presented purely as your personal experience, it could be inspiring.

As Grace Gabriel says, it is rather soon to be writing such a book. It would be good to start writing it, but you'd want to maybe finish it in ten years time, to show there's been no relapse. Or to show how you dealt with the potential to relapse.

You, as the main character, have a weakness, that caused you to almost take your life. The challenge that lifted you out sounds fascinating and makes a good story. As a character, your underlying weakness may still be tested down the track. How you deal with that could also make an interesting story.

I've had a bit of experience with various positive thinking environments. Sometimes in that kind of culture, people can begin to feel that they don't have permission to feel depressed anymore, and condemn themselves when they are, which only makes things harder. You wouldn't want to create that pressure on yourself by writing a story that you then feel you have to continue to live up to.

Anyway - all the best for your future, and for your story.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Unknown_Hero (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate

Thanks 5
Send a message via MSN to Unknown_Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Unknown_Hero

Owing your own business at 28. WOW!

- William W. Gibbs (1948 - 2008)
Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Cheyenne (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 2

Wow! You own your own business and you're working on a novel? That's my dream! I'm definitely looking forward to hearing about your journey to success and happiness.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 AM
chica (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I am not a lover of self help instructionals, but if you could find a way to tell of your experiences in a way that takes others on a journey, recognising all the pitfalls and milestones along the way, in a raw and honest manner... I would look forward to the read.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction