WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media

New Media Blog novels, podcasts, ebooks, and other writing technological newfangledness.

Online Publishing

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
scottcolby (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Online Publishing

Anyone have any experience with brands that publish exclusively online? I ask because I work for one myself (check the profile for a link) and I'm curious to hear if anyone has any tales of what works and what doesn't.

For what it's worth, we're trying to build a coherent catalogue of interconnected content. We're moving everything along with a "main" property, a web comic published every week that serves as the prime mover of our brand. We're releasing a short story every other week that has something to do with events from the web comic; for example, if we introduce a new character in the comic, we publish a little short story that tells more about said character. We also release encyclopedia entries that work the same way. We've got a novel that serves as a prequel, which we just released for the Kindle.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has ever seen or heard or worked with anything similar. Hopefully this didn't come off as an advertisement, since it wasn't meant to (although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to get a few people checking out the link in my profile). I'm genuinely interested in what people think of such a scheme, and whether sticking to the web is itself a viable business model or whether it should just be used as a stepping stone of sorts to attract traditional publishers.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Corvus Project (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well, that is extremely impressive! The art is masterful and I like the story lines you lay out. "The Torn God" is quite good, very distinct.

I am surprised you got no repsonse to this. Let me suggest you show it on the new media forums at writingforums.com where a crowd is gathering around online writing and art.

Good luck, beautiful work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
scottcolby (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thanks for the comment, Corvus! I'm glad you liked it. We're actually in the middle of a site redesign, so I will head on over to those forums when we've got that done.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM
bookish89 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default bookpatch.com

I've had a lot of success with thebookpatch.com. Has anyone else used it? It lets you write your book online, sell it in their virtual bookstore, and other people can buy it. It doesn't even have to be an ebook, you can get it printed if you want. Plus it's free, so you gotta love that...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Lin

Let me guess.....

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media