WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media

New Media Blog novels, podcasts, ebooks, and other writing technological newfangledness.

Does anyone have live journal for your novel

Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
bookwormbeddie (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Does anyone have live journal for your novel

I was wondering if people have live journals on your book weither in the process of writing or finshed. I think it is a good way to get people interested in your novel..not to say you have to take your precuations.

Last edited by Tau; 12-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary font size
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I'm all for any sort of marketing to promote your writing. You need to be careful that you don't create some positive hype if the book isn't finished. I'd prefer to start marketing when you have a finished product, and place 'teasers' on websites / blogs to get people interested.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

A long time ago I thought about making a journal for my characters when I actually get published.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

I've read several "novels" (okay, novel length fanfics!) on Livejournal, and from what I see it's a nice place for the authors to post, network with readers, and get comments and feedback. I do wonder about the legal aspects of it, though, especially if you are putting up an original novel.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
I do wonder about the legal aspects of it, though, especially if you are putting up an original novel.
Publishers won't want to know if you've already published parts of the novel online. Indeed, they may be wary if you've published any information about it.

I think the best way of publicising your novel is to publicise yourself. Keep a blog, publish short stories, poetry and anything unlikely to find a publishing home.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Daisy Chain (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I have a Youtube channel (listed as 'MsJadeHamilton' if anyone wants to check it out.) I put up pieces I'm currently working on, as well as readings of other people's books that inspire me.
I don't have, or want, an agent, so I'm using the channel to make myself visible so that, hopefully, publishers will become curious and think about signing me up.

Making videos is pretty fun, too.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
DeadMeat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

My brother and I wrote our book on blogspot posting 1 short chapter a week. By the 8th chapter we got an email from Permuted Press saying they wanted to sponsor us. Meaning they get first look when we were done. After a year of weekly updates we ended up signing with them and we are now published with good reviews.

I really enjoyed the blog-novel thing. Seeing what readers had to say as we wrote each week kept us going. We have a novela sequal planned and may actually do the same. We got about 400-1000 visits per week. I hear that's alot for a blog of our type. The only problem we've had is keeping them coming to the site after we finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM
kindleheart (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon14

Originally Posted by bookwormbeddie View Post
I was wondering if people have live journals on your book weither in the process of writing or finshed. I think it is a good way to get people interested in your novel..not to say you have to take your precuations.
If a selling page is a static selling tool, a blog is a dynamic promotional tool. I guess Livejournal is some kind of a blog, similar at least, correct me if I'm wrong. It offers you an opportunity to frequently update material with the right keywords to draw traffic. You can also use a blog to network with other bloggers and create a circle of influence. You can offer to guest blog and increase traffic to your site, which in turn will help promote your materials or ebook. A combination of different marketing efforts will help increase visibility for your ebook and make a real impact on your ebook sales.v

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing > New Media