WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What Are You Reading?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:35 PM
hymanwallace (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

In reverse chrono from the last few months:
The Grey and Guilty Sea by Scott Carter
- abandoned b/c the narrator is an insensitive and grumpy. I find there are too many arrogant protagonists these days. The shallow arrested adolescent Jack Reacher is a prime example, and then that jerk doctor from The House ... I could go on
The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman
Got through it but it is not as funny as she tries to make it. Seems more like something she hammered out to make contract. (Diary entries, excerpts from voice mail, email...) Too bad, because I like her.
A few books by James Lee Burke who is a good writer but who has become unforgivably droopy and sentimental
Everything by Michael Connelly that I can find. Waiting eagerly for his latest due in October by which time I could be dead.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 PM
CDawson (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 17

Toxic Sludge is Good For You! Lies, Damn Lies, and the Public Relations Industry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Scott Tuplin View Post
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.

I didn't realise it was a YA book until I'd already bought it, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.
There are many hidden gems in the YA genre.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I haven't read any TEOTWAWKI books lately, and somehow this caught my eye

Going Home by A. American.

A tale of how Everyday Joe Prepper, I mean Morgan Prepper manages a 250 mile walk home after a solar flare or EMP takes out his, and most everybody's cars. And grid.

It's ok. Truly decidedly OK. What I noticed is also caught in the amazon reviews - needs more proofing/editing. And it reads like a mall ninja's weapon wet dream.

one dislike - the author took an opportunity (I think) to take a swipe at Rawles TEOTWAWKI books.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM
BellMars (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Finish to read the Dark erotica romance series Hitman by Jessica Clare and Jen Frederick. Currently reading a variation of fairy tales base romance books.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:33 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Just got the my last volume of collected Steinbeck novels: The Moon is Down, Cannery Row, The Pearl, East of Eden. I've read them all except The Moon is Down, but I'll probably read all them again.

Woo hoo.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 PM
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 70

Non-fiction: Making Things Clear and You Are Here by David Cain, both on the subject of meditation/mindfulness.

Fiction: over the last two weeks I re-read the entire Belgariad series by David Eddings. Haven't read those since I was a kid. Good times.

Now I'm starting on the monumental task of The Wheel of Time, which I haven't read before somehow. I'm about 2/3 through The Eye of the World.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I am reading a Chapter at a time from two non fiction books.

LIBERTY, THE GOD THAT FAILED by Christopher Ferrara is a Catholic look at the results of The Enlightenment, and that liberty is used to pursue licentiousness. I like listening to his opinions on a few radio shows that he is on, but so far he takes unnecessary passive aggressive digs at protestantism in general.

ALBION'S SEED, by David Hackett Fisher is a look at four distinct groups from Great Britain that populated what was to become the United States, (and up to about early 1900 when the "other" migrations occurred.

It shows how the Puritans (shown as radical Calvinist) came from the East Anglia portion of England to settle the New England area, The Quakers went to the Pennsylvania area, the "cavalier class" - some escaping Cromwell settled the Seaboard from Maryland on South, and the Scots-Irish and Welsh settled the Appalachians and made the big westward push

ALBION'S SEED examines "folkways" and examines general aspects of life and how it affected each area and migration.

I've read excerpts from ALBION'S SEED and discussed it with several people. It explains how America, originally an English settled nation could have four distinct cultures, which often led to conflict.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 AM
pompears (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Good book I have read recently. Check out the review
Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Checker (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

I'm currently reading John Hawkes' The Lime Twig and some of the lesser-known Frank Herbert novels.

The Lime Twig is an excellent read and I highly recommend it; the Herbert novels, however, are disappointing.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:23 AM
Tom Fitch (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I just finished What is The What by Dave Eggers. Mixed feelings about it.

I've put up a longer review here: http://intersectiondiaries.com/2015/...g-dave-eggers/

Tom
Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 AM
Binx B

Bastard Out of Carolina, by Dorothy Allison
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM
CandraH

I recently read a really cool YA book, one of those gems of the genre , by our own Calligraphy - Gods of Anthem. Go check it out on Amazon, its fantastic.

Also recently read Engine Summer by John Crowley. Amazing, amazing, book that blew me away in so many ways. One that will stick with me for life I think.

About to start The Martian, out of curiosity.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:55 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 231

the choice, BY NICHOLAS SPARKS

Last edited by chat bot; 02-23-2016 at 05:22 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 231

the bands of mourning, BY BRANDON SANDERSON

Last edited by chat bot; 03-08-2016 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 231

when breath becomes air, BY PAUL KALANITHI

Last edited by chat bot; 02-23-2016 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 AM
CandraH

Finished The Martian. A cool wee story, if a bit simplistic in its message. I also felt like I was listening to a twelve year old girl with all the "woohoo"s and "yay"s. Will be interesting to see what the film version does with it.

Just started Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. Very different, I like it so far.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 231

13hours, BY MITCHELL ZUCKOFF WITH MEMBERS OF THE ANNEX SECURITY TEAM

Last edited by chat bot; 02-23-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 AM
Reflex (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

A book of poems my godfather wrote, I won't name it for that reason. I have had it for years yet I continually find myself reading it and not merely because of him.

I am feeling sort of nostalgic and after finishing Interview with the Vampire, I plan to read the Iliad if I can find my copy somewhere (just moved, so most of my books are still packed away).

My compulsions drive me, my hatred defines me, my faith cripples me, and love destroys me. I am a walking contradiction; I am Man.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM
MassThinker (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 3

World Thought Police by Tomas Schuman, former Russian KGB spy dealing with subversion tactics for overthrowing governments.

I'm not just killing my last hopes I am ensuring that they stay dead indefintely.

/MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM
leila

Some of the comic writings of Jerome K Jerome. His parody of ghost stories is laugh-aloud stuff pretty much all the way through. Inspired.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon11

Claire by the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat.

Check it out. Pretty good World Lit
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Classiclitfan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck. I am about one-third of the way through the novel and it is good. Steinbeck was a master at writing about society and people as individuals, and Discontent is an intriguing work.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 AM
mcv1986 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

Just finished The Pact by Robert Patrick Lewis. It deals with an invasion of the US and how special forces units would react.The book is a lot better if you view it as a prepping/learning aid like The Wealthy Barber or The Richest Man in Babylon. If you ready it just as a book. it ends up sounding like a police report.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Tom Fitch (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Finished "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers last week.

Absolutely recommend to read it. The book turns non-fiction into an absolute thriller.

I posted a short review here http://intersectiondiaries.com/2015/11/11/zeitoun/

Tom
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 AM
DragonScribe (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

Revelation by R.P. Miller

It's my fantasy novel, just released it, but it's so nice to read it in printed form rather than on my computer screen!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 PM
`JG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

I have just finished Congo by Michael Crichton, thought the whole thing was great. Things took off a bit fast towards the end but still a great book.

Just started reading State of Fear by him as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Djafkri (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 72

Atm, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I already saw all the movies but everybody was telling me that the books were different so I want to read all the books too.
I also want to read the Hobbit since I've already played the game and saw that movie too.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:18 AM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 231

the siren, BY KIERA CASS

Last edited by chat bot; 02-23-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 AM
Bunbury (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

All The Light We Cannot See.

Haven't decided if I like it after 100 pages.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library