WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues

Issues Current and past issues of the publication

Writers' Club | Issue 15 - Oct/Nov 2007

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19
Default Writers' Club | Issue 15 - Oct/Nov 2007

October/November Issue of Writers' Club

In this issue we explore the world of mythology and the corners of one writer's brain. We present some fascinating insights from published authors and showcase the talent of Writer's Beat members through Members' Choice and Editors' Choice. Take up your pen and begin writing with our wonderful picture prompts and while you're at it, try the crossword puzzle, read contest-winning pieces and much more.

Download Here

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions, please post in this thread, or send an e-mail to staff@writersbeat.com.

Thank you, and enjoy reading!

Writer's Beat Staff

Last edited by Devon; 01-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Download, people, download!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
AkinaTsuji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to AkinaTsuji Send a message via MSN to AkinaTsuji Send a message via Yahoo to AkinaTsuji Send a message via Skype™ to AkinaTsuji

My last name is spelled wrong.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

Download it! This issue is really good!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

downloaded and reading, thanks for the efort

Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

I tried to download and was told I had exceeded my daily allowance of downloads!!!

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19

Joewood, try this alternative link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/28053911..._Issue_15.html

Old 11-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

Thanks, that one worked

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Now that I have read it I have to say a big thank you to all of you that work hard on this, it was brilliant.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Why did you make this issue require Adobe Acrobat 6.0? I have Acrobat 5.0, which worked fine with your previous issues.

Acrobat 6.0 and later versions are bloatware. They take up too much space on my hard drive.

I won't download any more issues unless you make them accessible by Acrobat 5.0.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 PM
somesh (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 12
Default A serious mitake in the publication

In the article about mythology, where you discuss Indian Mythology it says that Ravana was besotted by Sita's beauty hence he kidnapped her. It was not so. You missed an important part.
Surpanaka, Ravana's sister was besotted by Rama and wanted to marry him when she saw him. Rama stated that he was married and thus Surpanaka went for Laxmana. I am not quite sure what provoked Laxmana(except for the fact that he was married and Surpanaka was drop-dead ugly) but when Surpanaka insisted on marrying him, he cut off her nose with his sword.

She went and told Ravana and to take revenge, he kidnapped Sita and kept on trying to persuade her to have fun* with him.

Also the part of the golden stag(or doe or whatever) is important.

It is said that after Surpanaka told him, Ravana knew that he couldn't kidnap Sita with Rama and Laxmana around. So he asked his uncle Maruch to get those two out of the way. Maruch went in the form of a golden doe or stag or something. Sita persuaded Rama to go after the doe, hunt it and get it to her. After he left, Maruch imitated Rama's voice and cried in agony. Sita, fearing that Rama was in mortal peril, asked Laxmana to go after him. Although Laxmana was hesitant as his brother had asked him not to leave her alone. Sita accused him of having lust for her. At this, Laxmana drew a circle around her, known as Laxman Rekha, which Sita was not supposed to leave. No one could cross this line but Laxmana himself.

Smart as he was, Ravana came dressed as a Brahmin Beggar and asked Sita for alms. She said that she could not leave the Laxmana rekha and hence she could hand the alms from over the circle. Ravana didn't agree and admonished that he would leave without the alms (giving alms to a brahmin beggar is considered an act of greatness). Sol she got out of the circle and Ravana easily kidnapped her and left happily.

You can ignore the golden stag thing, but DO ADD the Surpanaka part as it is essential. The two wars in Ramayana and that in Mahabharata both rotated around women and in both Vishnu's incarnation would have an important part to play
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

Somesh, thank you for bringing this to our attention. When I wrote about that part, I mistakenly thought that it was Ravana who was besotted with Sita. I was wrong there and I apologize for that. I'm not sure it will be able to be corrected, though. I'll contact Cordatus about it immediately, though.

I did know about the story of Surpanaka and Maruch (I believe he was a doe, though I can't remember too clearly; my childhood memories of Amar Chitra Kathas are not as vivid as I would like them to be) and for a while I was toying with adding it. However, although it was a vital link, due to space constraints, I was unable to mention it. The same went for the stories in the Mahabharata.

If we had had all the space we liked, I assure you that many important (and rather beautiful) stories and sub-plots would have been added. Unfortunately, we did not so I was stuck with overviewing just the basic plot.

Thank you for telling us this, nonetheless. Next time we feature something similar, we will remember to keep this in mind and as always, all feedback is welcome.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM
somesh (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 12
Default that's okay

That's okay, u don't need to apologize. I know you can't republish it just make the correction public. Atleast the surpanaka part.

Most Indians have their religiously sentiments hurt rather easily.(no m not one of them)
Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
aí Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Like Starr, I don't appear to have Adobe 6.0 so can't see the artwork in my downloaded issue. And I'm not sure if I could update to 6.0 since my pc spends most of the day telling me my virtual memory is insufficient as it is (and all I usually ask of it is Word, e-mail and WB). Maybe someday when I get a new pc....

Anyway, I'll try to have a read over the weekend. The mythology article looks most intriguing.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues