WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How much LGBT do you include?

Old 03-08-2017, 01:18 PM
tremor (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default How much LGBT do you include?

When it comes to developing your characters, or even creating them- how much LGBT do you include?
I'm currently writing a police drama trilogy, where I've so far featured a lesbian police dispatcher, who is a primary character.
My plan was, in the 3rd installment to have another one of my previously established female characters question her sexuality.
I've since had a few friends read through, and shared some of these details with them. They all thought that I had written my LGBT character well, given her complex backstory, but they questioned the need to have another LGBT character.
I'm not set in developing my characters this way, but I personally feel that this is the way our world is, and that's how I should portray it as.
I also had someone point out that I'm male and have thus far only written lesbian characters; which is, I'll agree extremely one-sided.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S4 Using Tapatalk

"If I knew then what I know now, I'd stay six years old." -"Thrones" by Alexisonfire
Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

Originally Posted by tremor View Post
When it comes to developing your characters, or even creating them- how much LGBT do you include?
I'm currently writing a police drama trilogy, where I've so far featured a lesbian police dispatcher, who is a primary character.
My plan was, in the 3rd installment to have another one of my previously established female characters question her sexuality.
I've since had a few friends read through, and shared some of these details with them. They all thought that I had written my LGBT character well, given her complex backstory, but they questioned the need to have another LGBT character.
I'm not set in developing my characters this way, but I personally feel that this is the way our world is, and that's how I should portray it as.
I also had someone point out that I'm male and have thus far only written lesbian characters; which is, I'll agree extremely one-sided.
Any suggestions or ideas?

The "previously established female character" is gonna ask the cop if she (the cop) is gay?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

I never think about that. I never think: hey, I should include an LGBT character.

I am writing a short story where the MC is a gay man, but that's just because he is. It works out funnier that way in this one.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM
tremor (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
The "previously established female character" is gonna ask the cop if she (the cop) is gay?
Doh. I should've worded that differently. I meant it like an internal struggle.
I'm just wondering if I'm crossing a line here, I'm not writing gay characters for the point of them being gay- they just happen to be characters that I've designed as gay, just sort of because I can.
Am I over-thinking this?

"If I knew then what I know now, I'd stay six years old." -"Thrones" by Alexisonfire
Old 03-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,220

[QUOTE=tremor

Am I over-thinking this?

[/QUOTE]

Overthinking it?
Yeah.

Write on.
tremor (03-09-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 590

How much LGBTQEIEIO would I include? It is nothing I would portray in a positive light, so it would be a question of how depraved, silly, or silly and depraved I wanted to portray a bad guy/gal as.

A conscious effort to include LBGTQEIEIO's stems from a desire to shift the culture. That leaves it up to the Author to decide how much of a shift he/she is trying to make.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
How much LGBTQEIEIO would I include? It is nothing I would portray in a positive light, so it would be a question of how depraved, silly, or silly and depraved I wanted to portray a bad guy/gal as.

A conscious effort to include LBGTQEIEIO's stems from a desire to shift the culture. That leaves it up to the Author to decide how much of a shift he/she is trying to make.

The culture, like the world, IS shifting. Holding on to traditional values is futile and paints a person in a specific light, obvious and almost silly to the bulk of the moderate mIddle.

I love when you have a posting spree, Mo. I never know what you're going to say next. Oh wait... yes I do.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Myers (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

I once wrote a story about with LGBT characters in it. A few of the people who read it turned gay. I even felt a little tingly in my special area. Never again!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
The culture, like the world, IS shifting. Holding on to traditional values is futile and paints a person in a specific light, obvious and almost silly to the bulk of the moderate mIddle.

I love when you have a posting spree, Mo. I never know what you're going to say next. Oh wait... yes I do.
There is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps on coming. Texas Rangers via Louis LaAmour

Aligning yourself with a moderate middle is embracing the suck.

Hard Shell Baptists and Trad Caths are gaining ground, and finding some common cause in the battle against Moloch. The pendulum is swinging to the light

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I once wrote a story about with LGBT characters in it. A few of the people who read it turned gay. I even felt a little tingly in my special area. Never again!
It's good that you feel at least partially chastised, Meyers.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
There is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps on coming. Texas Rangers via Louis LaAmour

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues