WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How can I make a courtroom thriller interesting in this way?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 AM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Default How can I make a courtroom thriller interesting in this way?

I have an idea for a courtroom thriller and wrote out a few drafts. However, some readers have pointed out a huge plot hole, in that the lawyers, are surprised by witnesses testimony and did not see the ambushes coming... where as logically, the lawyers would have already known what the witnesses were going to say before trial. They would have found out at the deposition.

I suppose that's true after thinking about it, the lawyers would have already known what the witnesses were going to say and what evidence would have been presented in the deposition. There would be no surprises at at the trial, cause all of that would have been covered at the deposition.

So I am thinking I should change the story to a deposition instead of a trial. In a deposition both lawyers meet in a small office room and just bring in the witnesses, one at time, and ask them questions, instead of a courtroom.

However, I feel this would lack suspense. The defendant isn't even there to face his accusers. Even though his lawyer would logically do the talking, him not even being there I think would take away a lot of the intrigue of how the reader perceives the situation, if he is not there to emotionally react to it all, even if it's mostly internal.

There are also people in the back of the courtroom who have personal involvement in the case, such as loved ones, of the victims, who would have reactions while watching the case, who would also not be there in the room as all of this investigating and cross examining of the case goes on.

So I was wondering, is there any ways I can make the deposition equally suspenseful, even though the defendant and the victim's loved ones, will not be able to there to react to everything, realistically?

I also feel that not having a judge there to decide on what is relevant, admissible and fair, and what not, also can remove some of the intrigue.

The deposition allows for the prosecutor and defense attorney to be surprised and not know what witnesses will say, and not know what evidence will bring till they go over it. The surprises are more important for the story to go, where I want it go, but it would be nice to have all that little drama as well, if that's still possible.

What do you think? Thanks for the advice and input. I really appreciate it.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Fiction is fiction and you area allowed to break or bend the physical laws of reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
Old 10-28-2016, 04:45 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. I can't seem to do that without making the characters look stupid though. For example, if I wrote it so the prosecutor puts witnesses on the stand, not knowing what they are going to say, it makes him look stupid for doing that, and unrealistic.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 143

Perhaps the tension lies in the disconnect between the truth, discovered outwith the court room, and the trial. If you look at A Few Good Men, the tension arises from the defence lawyer's struggle to get the stonewalling witnesses to tell what really happened. In the process he has to face his fear of not living up to his father's awesome reputation and losing his career by smearing a superior officer. Bringing a personal stake to the story helps ramp the tension even higher.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 PM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 26

Remember the prosecution must disclose all they know to the defence, but not the other way around. Perhaps you have the prosecution caught off-guard more than the defence. You can have a witness lie before or while they testify to through one side off. There can also new evidence discovered while the trial takes place

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:26 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. Well so far in the crime case, there is no reason for new evidence to be discovered. Everything has already been discovered, and there is no logical reason for anything to be missed, that I can think of.

So I would like a witness to say something on the stand that will damage the case, but I cannot think of a reason as to why the prosecutor would put a witness on the stand, not knowing what the witness is going to say.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 347

A lawyer doesn't always know what his witness is going to say. They may think they know, but until the testimony is over, they don't know for sure. Witnesses tend to get flustered, or to have lied in the deposition.

You're trying to think logically, and people's actions are seldom logical.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Okay thanks. Well I was told that it makes the prosecutor look really stupid, if he puts a witness on the stand, if the witness didn't talk to anyone beforehand.

So if I wrote it so that the witness lies in the deposition, but then says something else on the stand later, that's changing the story, which is different. If the witness does that, then she will be charged perjury. But I don't want her to be arrested and looking at a jail sentence, for saying one thing, then another, because the plot cannot continue, if she is not allowed to walk out of the courtroom.

So if she is to say one thing, then another on the stand later, is there way to get around the perjury penalty?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues