WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

First Act Plot Points

Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 PM
NotHimAgain (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default First Act Plot Points

In the opening, Drake our hero backs out of becoming a vampire. Because he doesn’t know enough about being a vampire. The catalyst is Drake arriving in NYC as a vampire.

I want to show in the set up that even though he doesn’t know what vampire life is like, it’s not practical to stay human. We see -

1) There is no longer food. Humans eat 50-year-old rations. (Slim Jim style sticks)

2) People boil contaminated water to make it semi-drinkable.

3) There’s no law.

No one blinks an eye to a person beaten to death because he wouldn’t leave a reception area.

A man is going to rape a woman, and only Drake steps in to help.

4) He lives in a house that has no roof.

5) To keep the species going, there’s a Procreation center where people have sex for rations.

Would these points be enough for you to say “I’ll settle for the vampire unknown?”

His main CON to becoming a vampire: Everyone he knows that has gone through vampire transformation has never gotten in touch, even though they promise to. Which makes him assume the worst.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Amelia Albergee (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

I do not know if this will help, but when reading your post I remembered a quote from Aristotle:

Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god.
Amelia looked at the man at her side; after being awaken in the middle of the night at gun point, kidnapped, tied down uncomfortably in the back of his vehicle and dragged in the middle of an hellish hole that would soon become a crime scene, she realized that as first dates went this was certainly not the worse she'd ever had.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues