WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

The book that got you into Reading/Writing

Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
rrobb911 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 5

The book that really got me into reading was A Clockwork Orange. That's a good starting place, right?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:08 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

You don't have to. There are people who don't like semi colons, colons, exclamation marks etc Personally I think all punctuation has its place.

In your previous few posts you've shown why emoicons and exclamations like LOL! developed. Internet forum posts are more akin to chat than writing. When you talk with someone face to face you have facial expressions. For an internet you need something to delineate them. If JoeMatt had written Smaug, who's that ? You'd have have known he was being sarcastic. Just like in real life if he had said it with a grin or deadpan.

There was a call for a sarcmark for long before the internet. And personally I prefer to

However my earlier experiences mean I have and LOL! as a nervous tick. It prevents offence when none was intended. However I did once get booted for using the term "ass" in a chatroom. I meant donkey - I mean for goodness sake I'm a Brit and arse is way more satisfying as a swearword than ass.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Error69 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 215

I do agree, but I'm stubborn.

Also, you were kicked out for saying "ass"? What a load of crap. That's not even a "bad word" at all.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM
a4et2n (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 180

Originally Posted by Error69 View Post
I do agree, but I'm stubborn.

Also, you were kicked out for saying "ass"? What a load of crap. That's not even a "bad word" at all.
It hurts my delicate sensibilities, okay? :squiggly badass looking sarcmark:
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 AM
Chef (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Chef

Probably reading Lord of the Flies in grade school. Honestly, I remember not liking the book that much other than the iconic scene with the pig school. I'd never been that scared by a single sequence in a novel before, and ever since then I've always wanted to create something equally iconic and horrific.

I guess I'm a bit of a sadist because of that novel.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM
lewislewis (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Probably reading Lord of the Flies in grade school. Honestly, I remember not liking the book that much other than the iconic scene with the pig school. I'd never been that scared by a single sequence in a novel before, and ever since then I've always wanted to create something equally iconic and horrific.

I guess I'm a bit of a sadist because of that novel.
My great great great uncle wrote that!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Chef (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Chef

Wow, small world! You've got some good lineage, haha.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:07 PM
charleswhaley (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

Little Red Caboose.

Laugh all you want. Some of my fondest memories from early childhood have always included my mother reading to me. As my mother often remarks, I could look at a page before I could read and tell you, word for word, what the book said. That was a few years before kindergarten, too. I've literally been a writer almost my entire life, making my first attempt at a book in second grade. I credit it all to my mom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

to tell you the truth no book has. writing just popped out of nowhere I guess because poetry does not need a book story to make you want to write it.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
crochetlady99 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

The Harry Potter Series made me think about writing, but Nicholas Spark's "A Walk to Remember" made me start writing, even though I gave up on that genre.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Agito Z Wilder (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Most of my life I have been reading books, various different ones, but one that has always stuck out for me has to have been Tunnel Vision by Malcolm Rose. About a young boy who contracted Hansons Disease and shunned by his family, falls in with a the wrong crowd. It's all pretty straightforward in the way of it's plot but I read it when I was about 9 and I loved it. Just a shame I can never find a copy of it anymore..

And of course GENE by Stel Palou, that book ignited my interest in Genetics and Microbiology, making me pursue the subject through college and University

Last edited by Agito Z Wilder; 11-11-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Old 11-15-2014, 02:50 PM
MaliciousFriday (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

The book that got me into writing was Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Blacque (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

There was no single book that got me into reading; I had been reading before entering public school and continually through it. If I had to attribute some influence in my childhood, I would say Stephen King; his works were the first "adult" novels that I ever read and introduced me into a darker side of literary works.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:19 AM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 195

any book, whatever, if it's a book! wtvr, i should've posted in this thread. staff,? ahah, sorry again.....

💭

Last edited by chat bot; 02-23-2016 at 04:31 PM..
Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Dungeon Master (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Before I wrote, I was always drawing comics. A teacher got me into that when she assigned a comic to groups in our class. We had to have a definite plot, no more than six characters and it had to be about twenty pages if I recall correctly.

I drew a ton of comics over the next few years. In seventh grade we were made write a three page story about anything we wanted. I wrote mine on some video game I was really into at the time (basically fan fiction). I found out near that time that there were whole communities of people writing fan stories about all these things I liked (The X-Files, Zelda, etc).

I got heavily involved in that community and it wasn't until sometime in high school I broke out of it and just wrote my own characters. The books I read still heavily influenced me. I loved Brian Jacques Redwall series and the like.

The books that really drove the whole "I should be writing" point home were Fight Club, American Gods, and Prep. Fight Club was just so punchy and it was a lot of the things I had thought books couldn't be. Really, it was a combination of factors and books that got me into this.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 AM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 195

@zeroni, you should work to write a longer piece, until they get so involved that they finally shrivel your editor.

💭

Last edited by chat bot; 03-03-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 02-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Truman Capote - Short Stories
Old 04-09-2016, 04:02 PM
ksterling (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

Undoubtedly The Lord of the Rings! My dad set me to the task when I was seven and I've been in love with fantasy ever since...
Old 04-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

As a young boy all I could afford with my paper route money were comic books. One year for Christmas my mother gave me a leather bound copy of all the Sherlock Holmes stories. That started my life long love affair with reading and writing stories.

"The game is afoot, Watson."
Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Dominic1977 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

What got me into reading was I had an older brother that was into comics. So I started with those at a young age. Then I started reading books later on. A childhood friend of mine got into reading the same way.

Funny thing was in school I was constantly scolded by teachers who told me to stop wasting my time reading comics. That I should read books.

Reading is reading! Doesn't matter if it's a comic, or novel. Most of the people I know who read comics got into reading novels.

That's what got me into reading, and it also got me into writing. I use to draw comic strips so I had to write a story for that strip.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 AM
Dominic1977 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Dungeon Master View Post
Before I wrote, I was always drawing comics. A teacher got me into that when she assigned a comic to groups in our class. We had to have a definite plot, no more than six characters and it had to be about twenty pages if I recall correctly.

I drew a ton of comics over the next few years. In seventh grade we were made write a three page story about anything we wanted. I wrote mine on some video game I was really into at the time (basically fan fiction). I found out near that time that there were whole communities of people writing fan stories about all these things I liked (The X-Files, Zelda, etc).

I got heavily involved in that community and it wasn't until sometime in high school I broke out of it and just wrote my own characters. The books I read still heavily influenced me. I loved Brian Jacques Redwall series and the like.

The books that really drove the whole "I should be writing" point home were Fight Club, American Gods, and Prep. Fight Club was just so punchy and it was a lot of the things I had thought books couldn't be. Really, it was a combination of factors and books that got me into this.
That sounds like one cool teacher.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

When I was in 8th grade I went to live with my dad. Mom couldn't take it anymore. He was a science fiction junky. The first book I read cover to cover was Waldo and Magic INC. Robert Heinlein. Before that I wasn't aware that I could even read at all. I'd never thought about it.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 622

I haven't read a book that made me want to write. I experience things that I want to write about.

I see things stylistically that I might want to incorporate - Hemingway's spareness and brevity in The Old Man And The Sea, James Lee Burke's ability to paint a picture of the scene in my mind, John Sandford's and W. K. Kreuger's smooth incorporation of Midwest life into their crime novels, and Cervantes use of a Donkey.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 348

Hemingway and Hunter. Ernest could describe a scene well in a few short lines; Thompson's deadpan zaniness and astute observations caught my eye.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 PM
BluebellCharm (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25

Loved to make up stories from as far back as I can remember but my first ever influence was at 12 years old reading Shaun Hutson books. I'm guessing no-one will know who the fuck that is!
Well he's a British author of the horror genre and at that age I thought he was the dogs bollocks.

As some of his pieces were sexual, my first imitation of his work involved a couple performing oral sex in a tent which was found by my parents who then quickly confiscated my entire Hutson collection.

Jeez, wish my answer could have been a little more intellectual!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Dungeon Master (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Dominic1977 View Post
That sounds like one cool teacher.
She was pretty cool. Kind of mean at times, but fair. Even back then I understood there was a reason behind being strict at times.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 PM
gracevnelson (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default The Narrative of Frederick Douglass

I've always been a reader, but digging into the depths of Douglass' persuasive capabilities helped me begin to take action on my own thoughts and put them into cohesive works.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

In third grade, I wasn't reading novels yet, so my teacher introduced me to a type of book that was novel-like, but had fun sketches within every page turn. I can't remember exactly what these kind of books were, but I loved them! Whenever my teacher gave me one to take home, I would finish it every night. She was always pleased to replace it with a new one for me to read. I could only remember that one of them was called "Cat Chocolate" by "Kate Darling"*, but I can't remember what the other ones were called.

In my tweens and early teens, is was "The Boxcar Children" by "Gertrude Chandler Warner"&. I loved how creatively independent the kids were without grown-ups being around, and the descriptions for the simplest dishes that made me hungry. It was fun at the beginning of the series, but then adult characters had to but in and ruin the fun!

Late into my teens, it was "The Hobbit" (Probably don't need a reference for that one. It's a classic!). I can relate to that story in some ways, for I love the idea of adventures, yet it's difficult to leave a comfortable life of ease. Bilbo expressed this feeling that a lot of us seem to have.

* http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....Cat_Chocolate
& https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxcar_Children

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 08-23-2016 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Added the part about grade 3.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

none. I wrote because I felt like it.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 09-01-2016, 09:21 AM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 56

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

H.S.T.
One of the best writers of all time.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library