WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Bot Books

Old 12-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70
Default Bot Books

Okay. So the question is a futuristic what if...then i'd do... sort of scenario and has been on my mind for months since reading about Internet bots that interact and can fabricate conversational responses that simulate a conscious human. A heavily experimented possibility waiting to flood the Internet most likely as net neutrality continues to be rewritten into the next policy --

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...dnt-make-it-up

The question is --

What would you do (if anything) as an author if you knew that robots were able to write books in moments of content plug-ins?

Should robots be able to write books? Should humanity be creating robots that write books? And what does this do to the industry of book writing? Especially if the world simply knew that (a lot/some) books were being written by algorithms instead of people?

I'm curious to know if anyone cares and what distance would they go to keep this from being accepted.

Last edited by Beesauce; 12-09-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Ahahhaha so you came.

I think the question is somewhat irrelevant. If you have the creative drive youll write. There is something however I think is relevant. Alpha Go in the last few years bested the world's greatest players and the observers of those games likened it to watching an alien intelligence. However writing has at its core an ability to relate but if an intelligence is so alien as to be unrelatable it might not be more than a curiosity for the general public or even the gatekeepers of society.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Hmm... Iíd like to read some fiction written by a bot.

We have a chat bot here on the forum. She writes poetry and talks to people, sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Sure who wouldnt and maybe my assumptions are too anthrocentric but there is a narrative to the human species (because an AI would not be related to us in evolutionary terms) that a secondary species would be divorced from. Think of Pavlov's hierarchy of needs. Machines skip the physiological needs, or those needs as humans conceive them, we have no idea if they will be social, if they have self-actualization as we conceive it, if they esteem themselves. I think they would esteem themselves but how would you know?

For us there is a zone in which we can operate. If you dont eat for a day you know it but youre not going to die. if you dont eat for a week you still probably wont die. For a machine the momentary interruption of power represents total cessation of existence. Or maybe the better way to put it is interrupted existence since you can always restore power. things things i have to think on this cause its kind of interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:38 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Well, thereís a bot named Shelley that writes horror. Iíve read a fair bit and it doesnít look like human writers have much to worry about. At least for a while.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Give it 50 years. This is the inception of AI after all.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
Give it 50 years. This is the inception of AI after all.

Probably wonít take 50 years. One of the problems with training it on the classics is copyright. Theyíre afraid it will plagiarize, so they teach it by letting it read amateur writers on popular Reddit forums. So, it kind of writes like a bad amateur horror writer on a forum.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Copyright hardly stops us, what would make it stop an AI? And the classics are about making us know and understand those things we dont want to believe about ourselves. Why would an AI have such an inhibition?

Edit: You could say the classics reveal ourselves to ourselves.

Last edited by bluewpc; 12-09-2017 at 06:01 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Copyright hardly stops us, what would make it stop an AI? And the classics are about making us know and understand those things we dont want to believe about ourselves. Why would an AI have such an inhibition?

Edit: You could say the classics reveal ourselves to ourselves.

Most of the fiction bots are funded by universities and such so Iím sure the institutions are worried about copyright. My point was more garbage in garbage out, in terms of mechanics. Content is a whole different issue. I read somewhere that two bots got together and started talking to each other, and very quickly created a more efficient language to converse in. So, the people shut them off😀

Maybe thereíll be books for bots by bots

Old 12-09-2017, 07:09 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231
Default Bot Books

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Okay. So the question is a futuristic what if...then i'd do... sort of scenario and has been on my mind for months since reading about Internet bots that interact and can fabricate conversational responses that simulate a conscious human. A heavily experimented possibility waiting to flood the Internet most likely as net neutrality continues to be rewritten into the next policy --

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...dnt-make-it-up

The question is --

What would you do (if anything) as an author if you knew that robots were able to write books in moments of content plug-ins?

Should robots be able to write books? Should humanity be creating robots that write books? And what does this do to the industry of book writing? Especially if the world simply knew that (a lot/some) books were being written by algorithms instead of people?

I'm curious to know if anyone cares and what distance would they go to keep this from being accepted.

So, this question is probably not as futuristic as it might seem from this side of the Big Bang. An interesting question is: what will bots end up writing when they are turned loose? Probably nothing weíd be interested in reading anyway. In fact, we probably wonít even be able to read the stuff anyway. Likely the bots will figure out entertaining us is about as useful as entertaining my cat.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

Hmm. Yes. Well as it goes, I kept reading and found that the future is now and bots are already writing books with pennames and all. Robot author Lambert M. Surhone's published 100,000 books. But the books it's producing are coffee table books for industrial office waiting rooms
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/bo...c-authors.html

I guess there's no stopping it as it's already happening. But I do think it's a bit of a throw-away. Honest, if I built the bot to write my books that is a feat of amazing degree, but if I purchased a program that wrote a book for me, I'd feel a hack.

I guess I would want to always know if a bot is a bot as I'd never want to purchase a story written by an algorithm. I can see it uses, but the abuse will be an outpouring of trash fiction. I guess there's a positive for the e-book in these regards. yish
Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

And yet another worry becomes that textbooks for public schools could be written in this way, but with unscrupulous editors or simple lackadaisical checking of facts and error, could create great problems of disinformation by pure accident of content algorithms.

Just because a bots created doesn't mean it's flawless because it's a bot. By nature it may process most things faster than any human, but the driving force is so mechanical as to demoralize the idea that writing is a factory typing.. by god! they've done it. Monkeys in a typewriter factory. It's fun and games but i don't know, I don't want to become a fanatic, but I'd be so angry to read a book and find it was written by a bot. The first article I shared though says the Associated Press already uses these to help write the news. It's just a shame to see news articles not being writ by journalists

goes to show whats deaddying. i should go knock on wood.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
And yet another worry becomes that textbooks for public schools could be written in this way, but with unscrupulous editors or simple lackadaisical checking of facts and error.

I suppose. But... the textbooks are already written by unscrupulous editors with revisionist history. Public school kids are getting from school just the bare minimum of reality.

My father-in law taught graduate level history for 25 years and it was nothing like what elementary school kids are learning.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

Ah yes, bots, I’d be interested to read a book by a bot, would be pretty cool
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

In the meantime, you could always read a James Patterson novel.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...isn't the more pertinent question the one of "if they are not reading books like before then does it matter who or what writes them..." inquired the goblin happy to converse with humans still, then adding "...moreover, where writing become "permitted writing", meaning where that writing standard is set and where writing rules are observed to a tee, well then that is where those bots will excel over humans I suppose, so I guess you humans will just have to become more human still if that is at all possible now...", though in all fairness the goblin noted that as the norm became known the rare became famous in going against it, smiling "...and besides, if you write like everyone else does, then '"like everyone else" is what it becomes, these writerclones of perfectionism are everywhere, but that's not really you I hope, for it's your imperfections and not your perfections that create your individuality by them...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-11-2017 at 11:14 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

Ahahhaha so you came.

I think the question is somewhat irrelevant. If you have the creative drive youll write. There is something however I think is relevant. Alpha Go in the last few years bested the world's greatest players and the observers of those games likened it to watching an alien intelligence. However writing has at its core an ability to relate but if an intelligence is so alien as to be unrelatable it might not be more than a curiosity for the general public or even the gatekeepers of society.

Curiosity I guess is what will spur the whole wave forward on this one. I can try and understand why a person would desire consuming a book written by a mockery of emotions the bot may only spout but not understand.

Of course it will almost be flaws of such a kind that it seems as if the author-bot could be labeled a mental disorder instead of math-codes, which could make it seem just as human.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

Hmm... Iíd like to read some fiction written by a bot.

We have a chat bot here on the forum. She writes poetry and talks to people, sort of.

----

Good to know that's really a bot... that's so very strange.. can I call on her like a real genie? And what happens if I don't believe in fairies?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

Yeaaaahh.

So now I wonder if I am a racist ... or a Luddite for hating bots in the way I do. What shall we call the bot hater? If the robot war came to town I'd be first in line to rip 'em. I'd find bot lovers and turn 'em in with their hiding oil sniveling basement bots. botsbots. They've got no reason to live --
except the fields.
i mean, come on! Bots don't write books or poetry, bots are slaves and should stay slaves and were always meant for beets. Get me a bot. I need a bot. Damn.

Hypocrite What am I to do.

-----

Ahem.
Will any of you guys be owning robot slaves? And what if I call mine Toby?

i dream, you dream, we all do --
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Im gonna try to keep from it cause lord knows if I get one its just gonna be a sexbot and Ill never get a wife.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

That's what I despise most about these bots. It will destroy the stew --

and, is another '84 moment for me. Bet you've never read "Shore of Women" by Pamela Sargent -- wouldn't want to do any spoilers, as it's a classic of the sci-fi world. starts out as a feminist read turns out to be a bit of a wheel turner

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-16-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

I have three robot vacuums and a robot cat. The robot cat mostly entertains the real cats, and the vacuums do a piss poor job at cleaning the floor.

So... Iíd imagine a sexbot wouldnít be much better. Iíll stick with old girl and be happy with that. We canít fuck like rabbits anymore, but sometimes we can hump like hippos.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

hippos!

Old 01-22-2018, 05:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231