WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Narcissists & Attention Mongers

Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Profusive Denizen

Thanks 35
Default Narcissists & Attention Mongers

Okay. So I'm not here to argue about what is or isn't but this is more of an opinion survey of what your definition of a narcissist is, if there's a level in degree that you can define, and how does writing a book make a person a narcissist or seen as such?

Can an introvert be an attention seeker or is this an extroverted claim?

As writers is it an insult for another to say that writing a book or telling stories is narcissistic?

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-18-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 06:51 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 942

Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical mental illness. It is distinct from a human who wants to tell a story, a creative.

A writer with NPD would be incapable of writing an honest story.

Clinical NPDs are fucked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 AM
Myers (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 383

There is the mental illness -- narcissistic personality disorder, but these days people are using the terms narcissism and narcissistic in a more generic or casual sense when they really mean attention seeking and fishing for approval.

Most creative people, including writers, are seeking some kind of positive attention or approval -- whether they will admit it or not -- and that includes people who are otherwise introverted. Depending on the delivery, there's really nothing insulting about saying or recognising that.

Last edited by Myers; 01-19-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Old 01-19-2018, 05:27 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 716

Narcissism isn't just about seeking attention. It's also about being self absorbed, and having delusions about how important you are.

It would probably be difficult for an extreme narcissist to write a book because of their inability to consider others, other points of view, other perspectives etc.

There is something inherently attention seeking about writing -- but I don't think that's the same as narcissism.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:50 AM
Myers (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 383

Yeah -- there are a few things associated with a real diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder -- it's about a lack of empathy, grandiosity -- plus the need for attention or admiration. And with most, there's an underlying insecurity -- they're always trying to compensate for that.

Last edited by Myers; 01-19-2018 at 05:55 AM..
Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

When I wrote my story I was seeking to understand myself, unburden my conscience and put the events in my life in proper perspective. To some extent I succeeded. The fact that I chose to do it on this writers forum, rather than some miserable tabloid probably means I was seeking some kind of approval. Nothing wrong with that. I feel I do have some ability to string word together. I appreciate the opportunity.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Connie View Post
When I wrote my story I was seeking to understand myself, unburden my conscience and put the events in my life in proper perspective. To some extent I succeeded. The fact that I chose to do it on this writers forum, rather than some miserable tabloid probably means I was seeking some kind of approval. Nothing wrong with that. I feel I do have some ability to string word together. I appreciate the opportunity.
This is what I do in my memoirs. It helps me, but putting it out as a book for others to possibly read can help others see their own lives in perspective. Our experiences are universal, and to read another person's unique take on a problem is fascinating. I suppose we do want attention and recognition but also we like to share, and sharing is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
The Following User Says Thank You to Luciaphile For This Useful Post:
Connie (01-21-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Profusive Denizen

Thanks 35

Fascinating, I never considered narcissism a prescribed medical disorder. Glad to know. Having not read up on the scientific side of the label I had a digging conversation with an anthropology enthusiast about whether or not everyone contains a small amount of narcissistic tendencies as a survival instinct or if it is the opposite, which is the award of lemmings

i'm undecided on whether small amounts of narcissistic behavior is natural survival instinct, perhaps part of bonding, or is it a retardation of an individuals slow decline into princess and the pea vanity?
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 34

Words have different definitions in different fields.

For example, in medicine and psychiatry, sodomy is defined as anal-phallic intercourse between two men. In law, sodomy is defined as any sort of intercourse other than penile-vaginal intercourse.

The laymen's definition of Narcissism (My ability to spell has been declining since the 6th grade) has NOTHING to do with the psychiatric definition of Narcississm.

IN psychiatry, the Narcissist is not necessarily in love with himself. Rather, he is totally engrossed in himself. He constantly contemplates and frets about: His physical health, the beauty of his clothes, the swagger of his car and the stateliness or snazziness of his home. He is terrified if a zit, two milimeters in diameter, were to mar his diadem of a face.

Actually, this disorder overlaps quite a bit with the "borderline" personality disorder which refers to people who straddle the realms of the neurotic and the psychotic . (Actually, the term neurotic has been excisd from the current DSM.)

People with this condition often had very close relationships with their Mothers, were often something like their Mothers' mates, received an excess of Maternal attention, and often see themselves and their Mothers as being engaged in a sort of Jihad in which it is Mama and me against the World.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 942

My mother-in-law suffered from borderline personality disorder. She was also a narcissist. When she was younger it was terrible, and when she got older is was worse, more completely delusional.

Its a terrible mental illness, and not at all like in most movies or modern pop-culture. Almost impossible to treat much less cure.

In other news, brian is a sodomizer in the legal sense. Can I go to jail for that?😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table