WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

alcohol

Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880
Icon10 alcohol

ever been silly drunk or are you the type that can drink and hold it?

please do tell

you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

please do tell
Hi Nacia. It's been my experience that alcohol is the drug of choice for writers. Chasing my dream of writing allowed me to become an expert on alcohol, along with other topics. I hate to tell you this but alcohol is a poison to the human body. It also causes divorces, failed careers, and suicide. You should be aware of this before you go down the path of 'hoisting a few' for your writing career.

On the other hand you may find yourself in a room of writers telling war stories as they drink. Those meetings usually end in 'black outs' where you can't remember all the great advice you heard.

Once my health began failing I gave it up because I still wanted to write.

As to your question did I drink and not show it. I always thought I did but couldn't anyone who agreed with me.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hi Nacia. It's been my experience that alcohol is the drug of choice for writers. Chasing my dream of writing allowed me to become an expert on alcohol, along with other topics. I hate to tell you this but alcohol is a poison to the human body. It also causes divorces, failed careers, and suicide. You should be aware of this before you go down the path of 'hoisting a few' for your writing career.

On the other hand you may find yourself in a room of writers telling war stories as they drink. Those meetings usually end in 'black outs' where you can't remember all the great advice you heard.

Once my health began failing I gave it up because I still wanted to write.

As to your question did I drink and not show it. I always thought I did but couldn't anyone who agreed with me.

wrc
could you elaborate on what an expert one alcohol means?
Old 09-17-2016, 07:37 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

An expert on alcohol is someone who knows the different flavors of alcohol. Southern Confort, Benedictine and Brandy, Irish or Mexican Coffee, blended or straight whiskey, scotch or gin, I even know White Port with lemonaid. And many, many more. The alcohol part remains the same no matter what you do it. It also remains a poison. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 09:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 579

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

please do tell

When I was 16, I went to a party at some cheerleader chicks house and ended up drinking half a bottle of gin. I blacked out, and woke up in the front yard with someone's dad (who was working on his car in the street) staring at me. My hair had puke in it, and so did my shirt and jacket. I was a mess. "Good morning sunshine," he said. "I could see you were breathing, so I didn't bother calling an ambulance. Some party, huh?"

"Where am I," I asked, looking around for my car. I had driven three of my friends to the party and my car was gone.

The man didn't answer, so I got up, collected my shoes, and started walking. When I got to a main road I recognized where I was and walked the 3-4 miles home.

My car was parked in my carport with the keys in the ignition.

Later, my friends told me once I passed out, the football team had played catch with me for a while (dropping me many times) and drove around the neighborhood with me strapped to a luggage rack on someone's jeep.
My friends were all pussies like me so couldn't do anything about it. They took my car home and left me in the front yard. "You were puking and shit," they said. "We were looking out for your interior."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 03:31 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 56

I get silly drunk all the time,

On writers beat!

I'm drunk right now.

I already typed 30 things and then deleted them.

I'm going to smoke some more hash,
_________---And Figure this thing out---____________
Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by NuNu View Post

On writers beat!

I'm drunk right now.

haha souns lot of fun
and how do you start your day after so much of this???
Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Originally Posted by NuNu View Post

On writers beat!

I'm drunk right now.

Hi Nu Nu. It's true that drugs will change the way you think. But it doesn't increase problem solving skills. The thinking you do under the influience is called 'stinking thinking' by many.

Some writers develop addictive behavior for many reasons. It's called self medication.

The only advice I can give you is try to survive the dark days so you can have the bright ones.

Having been where you are today many times I was envious, then sad. It's a lousy way to live a life. I finally decided that my objective when wanting to get out of my mind was to survive. I was successful since now I'm old.

If you feel suicidal reach out for help. Hang in there, kid. wrc

Old 10-05-2016, 04:17 PM
BluebellCharm (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 25

I've drunk alcohol since I was 15yrs old and I am now 41. There has been countless times I have been so inebriated that I have not known what I was doing!

Being the offspring of an alcoholic father I do perhaps feel this trait lives on, however I also feel it sometimes enhances my passion for writing. Creativity seems to thrive amidst the blur of intoxication.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluebellCharm For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by BluebellCharm View Post
I've drunk alcohol since I was 15yrs old and I am now 41. There has been countless times I have been so inebriated that I have not known what I was doing!

Being the offspring of an alcoholic father I do perhaps feel this trait lives on, however I also feel it sometimes enhances my passion for writing. Creativity seems to thrive amidst the blur of intoxication.
There is Lamarckian inheritance in the broad sense of the term as we do inherit traits acquired during our parents' lives, and they pass it on to us (behaviourally). In the Bhagavad Gita, it can be interpreted that this is what the battle represents. Arjuna is not literally fighting his uncles, brothers etc, but is questioning his inherited beliefs/behaviours. We take a lot of things unquestionably as truth, but self discovery only starts with this internal battle. Only then is a person free to obtain Nirvana.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
BluebellCharm (10-07-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 05:21 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 333

Further to this, and suppose we take what some Buddhists believe - the realisation of non-self - and we take this to an extreme, then the person, who hosts an idea, is not the important subject of the matter, but rather the transmission of beliefs/behaviours across generations - this is the idea of reincarnation without a "self" involved - the idea is continually "reincarnated" (rather than the "self").

The ideas that continue without question are the ideas that are continually transmitted. A body can choose to not transmit or host an idea through questioning it. Nirvana is when the idea escapes the fire of constant rebirth.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
BluebellCharm (10-07-2016), Nacia (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
YvonJan (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I don't drink at all. I don't want to put myself in any form of loss of control. That being said, I have tried a Guinness before, and I'm thinking about trying it again. Heritage, you see. Other than that, I won't touch the stuff, and absolutely will not drink socially. I really don't want whatever happened with Brian Patrick up there to happen to me. That kind of stuff makes me really angry, because treating someone like that is just plain evil.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

In my opinion, not drinking is usually the best choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Nacia (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 579

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
In my opinion, not drinking is usually the best choice.

Probably because you are a pussy. Ooo... or maybe a Christian (always with the random Christian insults, ain't he?).

I enjoy alcohol. As some of you may have noticed.😀
Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

Heh.

I happen to be allergic to alcohol. Whenever I drink, I break out in handcuffs.

But if you can drink with impunity, and most people can, then good for you. I'm just saying if there's a doubt or if it's causing you problems, then maybe it's best to avoid it.

Of course people who have a real problem usually manage to convince themselves they don't, so I suppose that advice is kind of useless, especially coming from a stranger on the internet

And if there was a card, I'd be a card carrying atheist.

Last edited by Myers; 10-07-2016 at 03:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 579

Yeah, that's a shame. Lots of alcoholics in my family tree, but somehow it doesn't do me like that. I can quit anytime I want😎
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (10-07-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

I don't drink at all any more.

Bluebell was the offspring of an alcoholic father: I had junkie parents and used to think excess in all things was the norm. And I took excess to excess in all things, sex, drugs, drink, there was never enough, and I was working in an industry where excess was invited and expected. Once I lost a week and woke up in a different country.

Then I had a heart attack when I was 28. That's a big wake-up call. I fell off the wagon many times, but never again to the same degree.
BluebellCharm (10-13-2016), PickleBottom (10-13-2016)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe