WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The Writers’ Cafe Order of Business

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default The Writers’ Cafe Order of Business

We would like to remind the membership that the Cafe is not a substitute for the Intellectual Table. The Cafe is a light hearted area for relaxing. We would like to keep it that way. Now that does mean that light hearted discussion, general chatting and so on are allowed, as before. And more specific discussions can also go on as long as all members are civil with each other.

If you are looking for serious discussion please use Non Serviam forum for that purpose.
It can be found here: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Intellectualtable/index/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default up the down staircase

Hi.

I'm really confused. You said in your post if I want a serious conversation I should not look for it at the Writers Cafe, but instead I had to go to the link you supplied. I went therel. It didn't look like it belonged to WB. I tried to log in there with my WB info and it said not allowed.

What the heck is going on?

So if someone is serious in the Writers Cafe are they in trouble? And if they remain serious, do you send them to some other forum? This feels like "up the down staircase..."

I'm fairly new here so maybe I'm just confused. But I do desire serious, relaxed conversations. Where should I be going on WB if not at Writers Cafe? What am I not understanding?

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,692

A while back, our Intellectual Table needed to be shut down because members were getting too . . . hurtful with each other. Instead of intelligent conversation through thoughtful debates, people were trolling, mudslinging, and name calling, to the point where it was getting far too ridiculous. We had to shut it down.

The linked board is run by one of our current members who graciously supplied a place off-site for members who wanted to continue actual intelligent conversations (I'm sure some of the mudslingers followed, too) through thoughtful debate.

The Cafe is generally a more lighthearted place to chit-chat with other members, yes. What we don't want is more serious, in-depth debates (on such topics like religion, politics, etc.) to dominate the Cafe. Those types of threads get super heated super quickly and end up with members on both sides hurt and with official warnings and the like. We don't mind in-depth discussions amongst members, so long as everyone can keep a civil tongue in their heads. If not, then it's the IT (Intellectual Table) all over again.

Hope that answers your question! We're just looking to avoid hot button topics that'll lead to blow ups and more mudslinging.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:15 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Devon.

Thank you for taking the time to explain what took place on WB which led to outlawing serious discussions. I appreciate the time you spent in explaining it.

However, I don’t agree with the moderator’s response to that situation. Abuse of one member by another means they’ve turned into a bully. Abuse back means there’s two bullies. But there’s no way to outlaw disagreements. Had I been a moderator I would have voted against the idea of kicking topics like religion and politics off WB.

Kicking topics from the site seems to me to be the wrong approach. Of all sites on the net, one dedicated to writing should be fighting tooth and nail for freedom of speech and thought.,

I understand the fear of disputes getting out of hand. I don’t know what you can do electronically, but kicking the fighters off the site for a cooling period, say for 24 hours, could be good and would be respectful to all. And if they can’t become calm, kick them off the site.

So there you have my opinion. But, hey, that’s just one writer’s opinion. I love it here and it does wonders for my work.

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 333

There was a lot of discussion back then, wrc, about whether it was appropriate to completely shut down the IT. Feelings ran high (my friend Ed told me about it), leading to some members being banned for various lengths of time (lifetime for Ed).

Non's debate site was a stop-gap until the Oddville Cafe opened and several people went over there. It was a good, tight group over there but unfortunately everyone got along too well and the level of debate I think they were all hoping for never materialized. Most people ended up migrating back here and the Cafe shut down after one year of operation.

Regrettably, my friend Ed passed around the same time. In his final months he spoke with some bitterness about the whole affair but at the end he had come to understand the neccessity of the Moderators' actions and he was able to pass on with forgiveness in his heart.

I joined here to walk in Ed's footsteps and I find that yes, the Mods clamp down on vitriol a lot quicker than they used to but they are not too heavy-handed about it and lively discussions still occur, you just have to find them in the threads.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Devon (09-11-2015), Mohican (09-16-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Well, Prodigal, that's one way to explain it.

Last edited by poirot; 09-11-2015 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: rephrase
Old 09-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 599

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
Well, Prodigal, that's one way to explain it.
Actually, that is a very accurate and eloquent way to explain it.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (09-16-2015)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 AM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

What it's the net, the Net and Forum and Chat and INTELLIGENT DISCOURSE do not belong in the same place.

The Net and Intelligent anything is the ultimate oxymoron.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe