WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

How to convince my wife to let me self publish

Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10
Default How to convince my wife to let me self publish

In the theme of having a bit friendlier debate on self publishing vs. traditional publishing, I would like to propose this not so hypothetical scenario.

I have a series of 5 fantasy novels that I want to publish. The first novel will be ready by the end of the year. I have decided to self publish it. However, in order to succeed at self publishing I need a quality work of fiction. After receiving feedback from numerous Beta reviewers stating the book is awesome and editing and re-editing, I do the following things.

1) Hire an editor to professionally review my manuscript. From what I understand, good editors charge about $10/250 words, so my 100,000 word manuscript will cost $4,000.
2) Hire a good cover artist. I saw a good cover artist on another thread here who charges about $500.
3) Hire someone to professionally layout the book (fonts, etc). This should be a few hundred $.
4) $250 for a block of 10 ISBNs

Now, in order to actually self publish, I will need to convince my wife that this $5k will be well spent and we will make the money back through book sales.

My wife is very negative on self publishing. The main complaint she has is "how will you sell all those books?". She is happy to convince all of her friends and colleagues to buy a copy (she is in sales after all) but feels at most she could sell 100 books.

My answer for this is to explain that I do not need to personally sell every book. Once a certain number of people read it and like it, they will tell others and sales of my book will significantly increase. She, however, does not buy that this will happen.

Her feeling is I should concentrate on a traditional publisher. Traditional publishers have the advertising engines to make my book well known and sell it. She doesn't care that the % earnings are less. "Would you like 10% from sales of a million books or 70% from sales of 100 books" is her response.

So, how would you convince her? Any articles or factual data that would support this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,367

Good luck, pal.
And I patiently await the vignette that covers the entire event.

Oh, and a tip from a happily married man- massage her feet as y'all discuss this issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

"how will you sell all those books?"

How many copies will you be peddling?

Last edited by Gaines; 06-19-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by kirispupis View Post
Any articles or factual data that would support this decision would be greatly appreciated.
The data is this - your wife is right.

Go to Amazon and get a copy of the Taleist Survey on self publishing. It's a positive in favour of self publishing, but there are two facts that spring to mind:

Authors who spend the money on editing and a good cover will sell more books.

Most authors do not earn back that money in sales.

Have you worked out how many books you'll need to sell to recoup that $5k?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 AM
BookReader (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

In the theme of having a bit friendlier debate on self publishing vs. traditional publishing, I would like to propose this not so hypothetical scenario.

I have a series of 5 fantasy novels that I want to publish. The first novel will be ready by the end of the year. I have decided to self publish it. However, in order to succeed at self publishing I need a quality work of fiction. After receiving feedback from numerous Beta reviewers stating the book is awesome and editing and re-editing, I do the following things.

1) Hire an editor to professionally review my manuscript. From what I understand, good editors charge about $10/250 words, so my 100,000 word manuscript will cost $4,000.
2) Hire a good cover artist. I saw a good cover artist on another thread here who charges about $500.
3) Hire someone to professionally layout the book (fonts, etc). This should be a few hundred $.
4) $250 for a block of 10 ISBNs

Now, in order to actually self publish, I will need to convince my wife that this $5k will be well spent and we will make the money back through book sales.

My wife is very negative on self publishing. The main complaint she has is "how will you sell all those books?". She is happy to convince all of her friends and colleagues to buy a copy (she is in sales after all) but feels at most she could sell 100 books.

My answer for this is to explain that I do not need to personally sell every book. Once a certain number of people read it and like it, they will tell others and sales of my book will significantly increase. She, however, does not buy that this will happen.

Her feeling is I should concentrate on a traditional publisher. Traditional publishers have the advertising engines to make my book well known and sell it. She doesn't care that the % earnings are less. "Would you like 10% from sales of a million books or 70% from sales of 100 books" is her response.

So, how would you convince her? Any articles or factual data that would support this decision would be greatly appreciated.
Can you post this at the kindleboards writers cafe? (it takes like 1-2 minutes to register/verify email and start posting).

Most of posters there are self-publishers (some of which are very successful at it) so they would be able to help you. I am also interested in their comments/advice on this topic.

The $5,000 cost estimate is a bit on the "high end" in my opinion.

Last edited by BookReader; 06-20-2012 at 01:22 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Or:

1) Learn how to become an editor and edit the damn project yourself.
2) Learn how to create covers for yourself (through GIMP, for example).
3) Learn how to do the professional layout for the book yourself (many good, reliable e-book websites out there for that).
4) Kindle books don't need ISBNs at first; buy them for hard copy publishing later.

How difficult is all that?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Bagit (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Dev's suggestions should dwindle the amount of cash needed to self publish.

Use the feet/back rub to gain access to the rest of your woman's body, and the extra money you saved for a down payment on a boat.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

It is entirely possible that my estimate was high, but I always try to go high when proposing a budget to my wife. She has a rather dim view of budget overruns.

In terms of cutting costs, I may end up doing the typography myself - from what I have read it does not have a large effect on book sales - but I strongly prefer to hire a professional editor and cover designer.

In my wife's industry (real estate) they have a saying - "Don't throw the party on Sunday and serve the drinks on Monday" - basically meaning do not put a house on the market until it looks perfect - because your best buyers see the home immediately after it is listed. I believe the same applies here. If I want this book to sell, it needs to look and read awesome.

Even the greatest novelists have editors and I am no exception there. In terms of cover design, I have dabbled in graphic arts before but a professional graphic artist will easily far exceed my talents. Personally, I am strongly influenced by covers so I really want something that stands out here.

In terms of ISBNs, while it is true I do not need one for an E-Book, I do intend to do POD as well. Most of the people we know still prefer to read physical books.

Unfortunately no foot rub is going to work here. If traditional publishing no longer existed, she would have no issues spending the money. Her main issue is that traditional publishing is still the way to go. Yes, it is difficult to get published, but the payoff is potentially much larger.

From the limited exposure she has of the book so far (I have only told her the plot and let her read 1.5 chapters) she is extremely positive on the book - which is a good sign as she is a very tough judge - especially with my work. Therefore, her feeling is why not go for the gold and strive to become the next JK Rowling or Rick Riordan. If either of them had self published instead they would not be nearly as successful as they are today.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Speaking as someone who has actually self-published, I'm here to tell you that you're extremely unlikely to make back $5,000.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
kennyc (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Therefore, her feeling is why not go for the gold and strive to become the next JK Rowling or Rick Riordan.
Then best of luck to you, there. So why bother to try to convince her to let you self-publish, if you're going to try the traditional route anyway?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

... Therefore, her feeling is why not go for the gold and strive to become the next JK Rowling or Rick Riordan. If either of them had self published instead they would not be nearly as successful as they are today.

You don't know that, and I've already explained to you that Rowling held back her ebook rights in order to sell herself through pottermore.com.

But whatever man, we've been over all this in the other thread. You seem convinced to go the traditional route. Your wife clearly is an expert on the publishing industry so go for it.

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You don't know that, and I've already explained to you that Rowling held back her ebook rights in order to sell herself through pottermore.com.
I was quoting my wife, though I must admit I do believe this myself. In terms of Rowling, I do not recall ever discussing this with you. Her case is certainly an outlier though. Many of the successful self publishers eventually sign nice contracts with traditional publishers. Hers is probably the only case I know of where a traditionally published author received a large contract to self publish.

Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But whatever man, we've been over all this in the other thread. You seem convinced to go the traditional route. Your wife clearly is an expert on the publishing industry so go for it.
In terms of which route I plan to take, you assume too much. I am certainly open to either avenue if the numbers look good. I can say for certain that when I have brought up the idea of self publishing to my wife, these are her exact comments. As many of you who are married can understand, it does not matter whether she is an expert in the publishing industry or not. If I cannot convince her, it's not going to happen.

So, yes, it is true that I too favor the traditional route at the moment. I am entirely aware that my logic for choosing this route may be flawed, and for that reason I created this thread where hypothetically I choose the other route.

So, for the sake of this thread assume that I agree with you and plan to self publish. What numbers/statistics are available that would sway my wife to agree with me?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

I'm assuming nothing, I'm reading what you post and commenting on it.

-
-
-

Last edited by kennyc; 06-20-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Lin

This one is really easy.
Publish you book, but don't be foolish and spend all that money.
You don't need an ISBN. You'd be insane to pay $500 for a cover artist.

Put the book up on Kindle and Smashwords. This costs you ZERO and makes it available at an attractive price in the largest markets in the world. Sell if for 99 cents until you get 10 reviews, then raise the price to 2.99.
There is absolutely no reason to have an ISBN to do ebooks there.

If you want a print copy, put it up on CreateSpace. Cost zero.

Edit it yourself to start with. Get help and recip from people. Punch out paperback on Lulu and use it for more editing, give copies to your friends to catch more errors.
Put it up without worrying about it being perfect. I hve never seen a book with zero errors.

Learn the trade, learn how to market it, how to build readership. It will all stand you in good stead.
If it sells well, use that to approach the old-fashioned industry agents and small presses. Your chances are infintesimal, but that doesn't mean as much when you have a book out there already and can get read.
If it doesn't sell no matter what you do, and you get crappy reviews and returns... guess what? You weren't going to get an agent for it anyway.

Read this
http://linrobinson.com/bulletins/fou...your-own-work/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Devon (06-21-2012), K. Klein (06-21-2012), kirispupis (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Dean Wesley Smith on the Secret Myth of Traditional Publishing:

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=7124

And

The New World of Publishing: Insulting Your Writer Friends

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/

-
-
-

Last edited by kennyc; 06-21-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
This one is really easy.
Publish you book, but don't be foolish and spend all that money.
Indeed, but if you're going to take the SP plunge I'd suggest you go one step further.

You have five books? Don't sell the first one for 99c. Give it away. Give it free to anyone who wants it on as many different platforms as you can get it. That first book isn't going to make you rich anyway. You want readership; you have to build a base of fans who love what you do and will happily pay for books 2-5.

If you find you can't even give it away, you've lost nothing except a bit of pride. If, on the other hand, you score x thousand downloads and have a provable reader base that puts you in an ideal position to either get the wife to loosen the purse-strings or to snag an agent and a trad contract.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Lin

Good concept. The way it works is a little more complicated.
Basically you'd be putting your books into programs where they're available for free 5 days out of three months. Raising prices during that period so it seems like a better deal.
Or placing one as an "amazon short".
You can have a "designated loss leader" or use a step-up pricing strategy, where each book is a little more than the previous one, or in which once the series is all online, some periodically dip to 99 cents to get onto hot sheets and tip sites.

You can't just set a book as "free on amazon". You have to work at it, show it free on other sites, and then maybe they'll make it free.

All of which points to what I keep saying in these passe SP vs TP discusssions... once you publish you start learning how publishing works these days. It has its own rules, which are still evolving. you can't read some asshole in Writers Digest and have any sort of clue how this stuff works.

Besides, who wears the pants in your family, anyway?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Lin, your reply above was exactly what I was looking for. In particular I like the idea of starting it low and then raising the price.

For the record, I presented your ideas to my wife this morning. Her response: "I told you traditional publishing is going away." Sigh. I can't win.

In terms of printing it on Lulu, wouldn't it be a better idea to give my readers a printed manuscript so they may write comments between the lines?

I will probably still have the cover professionally produced, but overall your argument makes sense to both of us.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Lin

Give them a red pencil, maybe a notebook.
Which would you rather tote around and mess with, a stack of paper or a book.
Besides, there is a real difference between (edit this MS for me (which is work) and "Here's a copy of my book. If you want to jab me, find some mistakes."
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Lin

Don't be spendin' no $500 on a cover. There are many, many options.

A lot of it depends on what your book is. Poetry and "literary" book covers can be designed by blind morons. Nothing to it.

SF space opera is pretty easy to do yourself, as well.

Many of the genre's and romance can get by with stock photos.

High fantasy is a tough one.

If you search sites like deviantart you might come across artwork already done that works for you, and can therefore get it for free.

My cover for "Imaginary Lines" was a painting given to me by a friend.
The cover of "Mayan Calendar Girls" was an existing piece picked off of deviant art. The artist was delighted to give it to me for free.

This cover is stock art, cost me $2 to use. http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Your-.../dp/B007DORD7O

http://www.amazon.com/Linton-Robinson/e/B002BLP59C I did all these covers. I'm not a pro designeer and can't draw, though I had some design/layout experience before doing these, it's mostly just hobbist work.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Lin

Oh, actually, I didn't do those two slang book covers. Those were done by professionals. So...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

In terms of the cover, the genre is fantasy so it will be a bit tough to come up with a stock photo. The closest series out there to it is probably the Percy Jackson series with a bit of Lord of the Rings mixed in. So far my wife does not object to paying for a cover. It's the editing she does not want to pay for.

For comparison, here's the cover for my childrens' book so far - http://www.blurb.com/books/1577986 (don't pay attention to the inside - I have completely rewritten the text). I plan to publish it soon once I convert the size format to one Amazon supports.

For the editing, I will need to figure out some plan there. As this is my first book I will need to have it vetted by a third party. Still, I may be able to get away from hiring a professional editor by trading favors with some literary friends.

I spent some time today researching marketing plans and promo ideas. I like the idea of donating copies to my local libraries and holding a "launch party" where I sell or give away books. The tough question I see though is that these activities require physical books, while it makes the most sense to target E-books first and physical copies second.

BTW, where are the forums you previously mentioned where indie authors hang out? There are a lot more questions that I have.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Lin

Linked In has a lot of groups for writing, ebooks, etc.
Indies Unliimited is a good bunch.
Published Authors

Here are two sites just bubbling over with information
http://kevinomclaughlin.com/
http://theworldsgreatestbook.com
Kevin and David are very hip to this and know how to put it across.

Like most things, you start getting around the people and you end up finding the niches you need.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Lin

Yeah fantasy is the toughest to cover. I'd still try a serious cruise through deviantart.com If you don't find something already done, you might find somebody who'll take a commission.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 AM
BookReader (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

BTW, where are the forums you previously mentioned where indie authors hang out? There are a lot more questions that I have.
google kindleboards writers cafe. That's where indie authors hang out. Hundreds if not thousands of them.

Editing is the biggest cost. However, there are two types of editing (in my opinion)

1) proof
2) content

Proof editing is to make sure there are as few errors as possible. Misspellling and grammar. This is free if you have several beta readers. Some authors suggested reading your manuscript backward. One sentence at a time to catch any errors.

Content editing is getting a book that is 95% perfect to be 99%. Does the book flow from one page to another? This will depend on how good a writer you are and how many revisions you have done. This where it will cost you if you your book professionally edited.

1) Editing
2) Cover ($150-200 is the norm for a decent cover)
3) Format (Free if you want to learn how to do it or pay $40-50 to have someone do it for you)

Last edited by BookReader; 06-22-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

If you want a fantasy cover, ask CandraH; she's good, and she's inexpensive.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM
BradYoung04 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

I'm not sure you are actually looking at self-publishing as you seem to be listing the traditional process as your method for becoming published.

Self Publishing is when you actually bypass all Literary Agents etc... retain the rights to your work and control the entire creative process. There are a few self-publishing companies out there that help you to do this which vary in price but give you the option of becoming published for a lot less than $5K. Some of them still provide the help of professional Editors, Illustrators etc.

This would most likely be a more attractive compromise to your wife as these companies don't like to take on too much risk themselves so they provide a print on demand service (no need for your wife to be concerned about sell through).

This is something I'm considering when I have a solid manuscript that I'm happy with. The few I have researched are FriesenPress, IUniverse and Lulu which all have some great offers and qualities it's just finding what's right for you.

I would search online for some free authors guides for more help to research this further but just thought you might like a cheaper option!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Lin

Actually, I would say self-publishing is when you by-pass all those scam-assed "self-publishing companies".

Of the three you mention, only Lulu is a legitimate business proposition. iUniverse is bucket shop, widely announced to be avoided on most "Look out, you dumbass writer" sites.

There is no need to spend ANY money to be on Lulu, or the more feasible CreateSpace.

But the main drive, and easiest thing to pull off, is ebooks.

This is another post that seems to have time-warped here from four years ago (an eternity in this area of endeavor). Uninformed and raw, it's kind of a list of bad advice from somebody who hasn't actually done anything, but thinks his opinion is worth something anyway.
Why does that happen on writers' forums?

The early remarks about agents is equally useless. The whole idea I've been putting forth is that self-publishing does not rule out old-fashioned publishing, which can be pursued from an advantage the more one succeeds in understanding and "working" self-publishing.

Again, I'd recommend this post as an opener.

http://linrobinson.com/bulletins/fou...your-own-work/
Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 AM
kirispupis (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Thank you for the links. I believe my next step in this process (besides finishing my edits of the book) is to read through those forums and learn a lot more. There's a tremendous amount I do not know here, so I will need to read up a bit and then ask more questions.

I will check out DeviantArt and CandraH for the cover. My brother in law is a graphic designer in NYC who may also be able to put something together.

For layout, I will likely hire someone but you are correct that this should be quite cheap. Coming from software design, I have worked with graphic designers who get into heated arguments on fonts and spacing. I once listened to a guy go on for an hour about kerning. I will gladly pay them for their services so as to not receive a lecture on how my font is all wrong.

In answer to BradYoung's question, my inclination now is to self publish. I think this is a rather vague term, but I do know enough about publishing for this to mean I intend to do most of this myself (sans cover, editing, and layout). When we did the 2nd year of our photo book we used an indie publisher who promised to do everything for us and majorly ripped us off. The 3rd year we just went to the printer ourselves.

On the EBook side, this seems fairly straight forward. I just need to finish the book, have an EBook cover, and format the book for Kindle, Nook, and Apple. Of course I need to learn more about marketing and pricing, but making the book available for sale seems relatively easy.

Despite the fact that the majority of my sales will likely come from EBooks, I do not want to ignore the physical side. Besides the obvious hubris advantage, many of the marketing ideas I have so far require physical books. Reading up a bit on this, it seems like what many of the pros do is use CreateSpace for POD Amazon.com sales and Lightning Source for other distribution channels. I also have contacts at a very well priced offset printer if I need a number of books locally.

For now, the next step is for me to finish my 2nd draft and present the work to my actual publisher - my wife - who has agreed to delay any financial discussions until after she reads it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kirispupis For This Useful Post:
BradYoung04 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Lin

One thing to keep in mind about ebooks, font and spacing and such are meaningless. It's like the web... people see it the way there machine renders it, not the way you plan it.

LSI is for pro publishers. You send a couple of hundred to get set up. And that is per book, by the way. And have to do a raft of paperwork, tax forms, bank accounts, all that biz jazz to use them. It's for people who are going to be producing a lot of books.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing