WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Derrick

Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Weston (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default Derrick

Hello everyone.

My name is Derrick and I'm 34 years old. I'm recently divorced and have no children. My ex-wife and I had a few problems leading up to her becoming pregnant. We had a miscarriage and then things got worse between the two of us. Not long after the miscarriage, she ended up getting hospitalized for a serious mental condition.

I haven't really been doing much since then, except working. I have a pretty unique occupation I suppose. I travel around the country contracting my work out to State Transportation Departments. I investigate locations where frequent vehicle wrecks occur that are caused by animals crossing the road or highway. Once I'm done doing a comprehensive survey of the area in relation to wildlife habitat and movements, then I'm able to advise the departments on any changes that might be needed to increase road safety. 90% of the time I'm called in only after many fatal accidents had already occurred; it usually takes somebody getting killed before they are ready to change anything.

I grew up in a small North Carolina town near Chapel Hill. That's where I went to College (At UNC) and earned a Biology degree. My best friend Grant still lives in the area and I haven't seen him in many years. He is happily married and has an eleven year old daughter. My next job is just outside of the town we grew up in together. It seems like a strange coincidence because I'm tired of this work and think I might make this my last job. It will be good to see him, and maybe he can give me some advice on if I should move back there permanently. Even though I'm traveling most of the time, I still have a small apartment in Ohio where my ex and I had lived.

On my off-time, I enjoy reading, I watch a lot of pay-per view movies (I live most of the time in hotel rooms), and I also like to backpack and camp when I get the chance. At one time I was into astronomy and spent many clear nights looking at the sky.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Julesse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hi Derrick, nice to meet you. I'm sorry to hear about the miscarriage and the divorce.
If you are thinking of making this your last job, do you know what you want to work in next? Are you going to use your biology degree or go back to university?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Weston (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Hi Julesse. Thank you. The miscarriage and divorce was a trying time in my life. I am trying to put it past me.

As far as another job... I'm not sure. I would like to use my degree, but I'm not sure if my current work experience would really help me find anything in a biology related field.

I hadn't thought about going back to school... I guess that's a possibility, but it doesn't really pull me to be honest.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics