WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Trent

Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Julesse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Trent

Hello. My name is Trent. I am a 36 years old man and I have been told you can tell from miles away that I am gay. I have never tried to hide the fact and it is a non-issue for most everyone around me.

I was born in a small university town near the US-Canada border to an average middle class family. My only sister is two years older than I am.

I have been living with my boyfriend for the past 9 years, the first 7 of which were happy. Two years ago, he opened his first restaurant (he is a chef) and since, things seem to have changed between us. It appears that when his restaurant became an overnight success, I became Mr Non-Existent. He is constantly busy, if not physically at the restaurant then certainly thinking or worrying about it. It's getting old.

As for me, I have a master's degree in litterature and teach English to hopeless teenagers. That's getting old too.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Jinx (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Hi Trent I am a senior in Highschool I admit we can be hard to deal with at times :3.

What is your boyfriend like?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 AM
Julesse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hi!

Actually, I like being around teenagers. They keep me young and we seem to get along just fine. Apart from a few recalcitrant cases, I'd say I've been lucky. What I meant was, they're mostly hopeless in English. You'd have to see their essays, I guess. Once in a while, I get an excellent writer and I try to encourage them and give them pointers, but mostly... um... they suck.

What's Greg like? Well, he's older than me. He's... large. Think John Goodman. But he's a sweet bear, really. He's one of the funniest people I know; no one doesn't get a laugh when he's around. He is dedicated to me (before the restaurant, mostly). He would always take me on romantic weekends in the mountains to take my mind off things, or bring me flowers. He is also dedicated to his cooking and his damn restaurant, always trying out new recipes (almost always inspired), rethinking the service, the decoration, trying to find the best ingredients from the most respected suppliers. And he'll defend his family and friends to death. What else can I tell you... He's really a great guy and I do love him a lot. It's just he's never around or available anymore.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
KtConig (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Good for you for not hiding who you are. There are many people who wish they had such courage.
Your boyfriend sounds like a really nice guy. Have you talked to him about how much focus he's putting on the restaurant? Obviously its going to be time consuming, but if you're feeling neglected you should talk to him about it.

Check out my writers blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Julesse (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Ha! It's not that I'm hiding or not who I am. Apparently, I couldn't hide it if my life depended on it. Anyway, I'm pretty comfortable with myself.

Yes, I did speak to him, numerous times. And, like you said, he told me that having a restaurant took a lot of time and dedication. And I understand he can't be everywhere at once. He also reminded me every time that we put all our money in this restaurant, so we absolutely need it to do well (which it is, thankfully). But you know, something you said made me think. You said I felt neglected. And I'm thinking yeah, maybe I am neglected, but maybe he's not the only one who can take care of me. Now, don't go thinking I'm planning on having an affair (too complicated for me!). No, I mean I can take care of myself. So I've decided to let him do his thing, be happy about it and when he's not around, I'll do stuff I never did but always wanted to do. And when we do get together, we'll both be in a good mood.

So, thanks for that!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
KtConig (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Good for you! No need to be waiting around for your man to come home

Check out my writers blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Weston (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Owning a restaurant is not a full time job, but a double full time job. Until he can trust a lot of people to delegate the work to, it will unfortunately be this way.

Have you thought about helping him out at the restaurant when you can? This might be a way for you to show that you care about his interests and at the same time I would force him to realize just how much time he spends away from you.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics