WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Jack Scott

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
happienumber (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Jack Scott

Hello, I'm Jack. I'm a member of the Special Operations branch of the Scottish police force. It was a trip with my father to provide volunteer medical help to an area in the aftermath of a local war that solidified my career decision. I wanted to help my father make a difference, and I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but I had no idea. I was only 14. After seeing what I saw, I knew I had to do more than just patch up the holes. There had to be a way to stop the crimes before they happened, to defuse the bombs before they went off. I applied to the police force at 17 and started my career on my 18Th birthday.
I know it looks like I shot through the ranks at quite a clip, but it's not like I have grand aspirations of running the department or anything like that. I just do my job. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing perfectly. Then again, if it's not worth doing, it's worth burying under a pile of sweatshirts in the corner so no one knows I haven't gotten to it yet. I'd rather not have to deal with the pomp and circumstance- I skipped two of my promotion ceremonies, the last one they sprung on me.
I was just settling into my new role when an international incident sent my whole universe pear-shaped. My kidnapping victim was taken to New York, in the US. The kidnapper wasn't joking around, he was gonna kill her. The fight for jurisdiction wasn't something I could wait for. I hopped a plane to New York, just to keep an eye on things while I waited to hear about jurisdiction, I swear!
To make a long story short, something decidedly more wonky was going on.

There were aliens involved.

Last edited by happienumber; 04-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM
KtConig (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 10

Nice to meet you Jack.

If you love your job so much, what part of it is worth burying under the sweatshirts? And why would you skip your own ceremonies? Aren't those important?

Check out my writers blog!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
happienumber (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Nice to meet you too.
I'd like to bury the paperwork and bureaucracy under the sweatshirts, honestly. Our job is to help people, and I'd rather not waste my time filling out six hundred forms when I could be out in the field, doing some good.

Same goes for bureaucratic run-arounds. More time spent arguing amongst ourselves is just less time doing our actual job.

As far as the ceremonies go; to be honest, I'm not a fan of being the center of attention. And even beyond my lack of affinity for crowds, I just feel as though I'm taking credit for something I didn't do. Promotions less so than commendations. Commendation ceremonies I avoid like the plague. I don't view what I do as above and beyond, I'm just doing the best job I can.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics