WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Music and writing

Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Crowley (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Default Music and writing

While listening to some music I was thinking about what I could write about next. I just so happened to be listening to Metallica's 'One', a very atmospheric piece I think. I'm a musical person myself, and I was wondering whether anyone else got ideas from music - not just the lyrics, but also the backing tracks.

These lyrics from 'One' give a great idea for a short story, or a story of any length in fact:

I cant remember anything
Cant tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
Im waking up I can not see
That there is not much left of me
Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god,wake me.
And here's the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNJ00iAZ7I

Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Yes, I've gotten ideas from songs before. I think there are one or two I've actually developed. Hmm... Ah yes! Fly with the Black Swan by Sonata Arctica. I loved the first verse, and one day while I was working in this old barn, toting old copper piping around, the lyrics got stuck in my head. And then, for some reason, this whole story came to shape in my mind. The verse goes:
Once I got caught in an avalanche,
I must have died,
When a Black Swan flew to the rescue and cried
An offer I could not refuse, now I'm working on the other side.
There's the makings of a story there already, I just had to fill in the blanks. Anyway, I changed the swans to hawks and set it on an ice planet a few hundred years in the future. It turned out all right.

Then, for an assignment once, I took lyrics from Gary Moore's Over the Hills and Far Away and told the story in prose. It's a full story in the song already, though, so my imagination couldn't do much.
Fly With the Black Swan Music
Over the Hills and Far Away Music

Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM
psyence53 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6
Send a message via MSN to psyence53

Metallica and Sonata Arctica.... nice

Muse are heavily inspirational, in atmosphere, vocals, themes, and just where they take me.

Dir en grey too, as they have incredibly forcefully raw songs about abuse, violence and suicide, as well as beautiful emotional songs about loss and love.

30 Seconds To Mars, Placebo and Metallica, and most of my other favourites prove some sort of inspiration.

Stone Sour's Through The Glass inspired a possible story. Music is a fundamental tool for my writing. I always seem to comprise short mental soundtracks for them. My characters' tastes in music are also of importance

I can't quote anything because there is too much.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Paige Bruce (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Winterbite View Post
Then, for an assignment once, I took lyrics from Gary Moore's Over the Hills and Far Away and told the story in prose. It's a full story in the song already, though, so my imagination couldn't do much.
Fly With the Black Swan Music
Over the Hills and Far Away Music

I love Nightwish's version of Over the Hills and Far Away. Awesome story, awesome lyrics! Actually, song stories like that are why I like listening to Irish (and Newfie) Folk songs usually. Whiskey in the Jar-O is a good one, (Traditional Dubliners or Metallica Version) and Barque in the Harbour is a great one (by Great Big Sea).

Songs like that usually prompt my imagination, and then I start drifting with different threads and different kinds of stories. I'm not one for writing lyrics, I've tried, but I love stories in lyrics.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
psyence53 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

Turn The Page.

I love stories in songs too.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Nightwish's version was too quick and hurried. Gary Moore's rocked them!

Turn the Page? Blind Guardian?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM
psyence53 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

Turn The Page by Metallica. Before that.. not sure.. Bob seger?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Paige Bruce (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Yeap. It's a Bob Seger song originally, Metallica did a pretty good cover.

I liked Nightwish's version because it was sped up - the heavier instrumental felt a bit more... hm. Epic, I guess. But then again, I can't help be biased, since I heard their version before Gary Moore's, which is a shame. I prefer to hear originals first, to give them their due.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Covers sure have their place, though. A lot of Joan Jett's greatest hits were covers.

Sad Cafe - The Eagles

Edit--Whoops--thought this was the Song thread!

Last edited by Winterbite; 05-11-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Rawr (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have this kinda inspiration often too whilst listening to music, it's great how artforms influence one another or paint ideas in your mind which you can mess about and explore with, transforming one medium into another. T'is so cool xD
Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Paige Bruce (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 12

So on writing and music - for those who write lyrics, what makes it different from writing prose or poetry?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Well, obviously there's the difference from prose that it has to be in verse form and have a certain rhythm. The difference from poetry, though, is more subtle. I'd say that it's that the rhythm and meter don't have to be as consistent as they do in poetry. You can throw different things around in a song as long as you keep to the tune and don't mess up the backbeat. You have the verses, the choruses, a bridge here and there to shake everything up, so it's not as firm as stanza poetry.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:00 PM
psyence53 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

I like how some songs are like a story to music. They tell a sequence of events, or a character. I like how some songs are more poetic (read the translation of Gackt's "Rain" - or any of his lyrics actually!), and I like how some songs are more... songy! They just convey a message or a view or something, like many Muse songs.

I don't think lyrics should be put into any own category, because they can vary so much.

Also, randomly, I'm trying to do some "freewrites" on certain music, songs and things like that, in the hope of getting a better understanding, exploring my mind and perhaps finding some spark of creativity to get me writing fiction again. It has briefly worked in the past so... going to try it with Muse and Placebo. I also love the names. They fit pretty well with the effect they have on me at times! Lol. Everything about music is wonderful. Written words, something to tell, videos, live performances, photoshoots, interviews, artwork... it all creates such a perfect thing!

Last edited by psyence53; 05-16-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Occured to me I could have put a link in!

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe