WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Getting my characters out of a sticky situation - Help!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Merlin (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Getting my characters out of a sticky situation - Help!

I'm currently writing a plot synopsis for my book at the moment (urban fantasy/post apocalyptic), and have got my characters into a situation where I need to try and get them out preferably all in one piece, so any advice would help with the following:

Basically, my characters, all teens, 3 male, 3 female, are stuck in a Mansion overnight in order to escape from the limitless enemy that they face outside that is currently unaware of their presence. The problem is the Mansion is not theirs, and they don't know anything about it, until one male finds out that there is a secret tunnel underneath the Mansion. They split into two groups and the guy leads another guy and a girl into the tunnel whilst three of them stay behind.

The trio that are investigating the tunnel below find that it leads into an empty secret meeting place for the organization that was before the apocalypse trying to kill them, but trigger a trap that shuts the room on itself, and water suddenly starts filling up the room from which there is currently no immediately noticeable way out from.

They have a mobile phone, kept active by magic which connects them with the three up top. One of the three in the mansion is essentially a wizard (the others know this), but his powers have been drained from an earlier incident and lies unconscious. Out of the three down below, one of them can use magic, but it is very limited, and cannot get the trio out nor blast a hole in the wall.

And I need an effective, realistic way for the three characters who are currently trapped to escape from. I was thinking of having another way out through an underwater stream which would lead down to a river, but then they would have to deal with the monsters outside if they wanted to get back to the Mansion. But The water is rising fast, and it won't be long before they start drowning.

So any help would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong sub-forum, give me a shout and I'll change it ASAP. Thanks in advance. If anybody wants any more details I can provide them.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

Maybe they magic user in the basement can "create a river". Since they got into the room via an entrance, rather than blast open the door, he or she could enlarge the gap in entrance, thus making it no longer water tight. They might not be able to make it large enough to get through, but maybe large enough to get the water out.

Second, getting out could be done again, instead of blowing it up, by popping the locking mechanism. Simple telekinetics, move the lock or lift a hinge?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
ThornIs (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 17

They drown
and a couple of wah wah trombones could be heard in the background
:-(

But in all seriousness you could have them swim, find the hidden tunnel you wrote about, but instead of it leading outside it leads to a hidden part of the mansion. And then you could continue with a different adventure for those three while the others have another adventure. It would be a good way to split up the group.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
tahdas

The three in the flooding room are struggling to stay above the water, there getting closer to the ceiling which has spikes on it so they will inevitable drown. The magic user manages to telekineticly dislodge one of these spikes and motions to the others to follow him. He swims to the bottom of the pool and use magic to rais the water so they can breathe he's exsplains to the charter with the stronger arm that that he want him/her to throw the spike as hard as he can at a lever that would open the door that locks them in the rapidly filling room. The charter who's is about to throw the spike tells the magis user that he isn't a very good shot. The magic user replys that he will try to guide the spike with one hand and keep them from drowning with the other. The spike is thrown it hits its mark the door opens and the two rush out but the third is unable to get out and hold the water at the same time so he let's the water fall on him.
I think this would creat good drama and maybe someone teleported the magis user from the room.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

The simplest way to never get stuck, is to think the story through before writing it.
I would stop writing, and start thinking the story out first.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues