WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Spring/Summer Contest Comment Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default Spring/Summer Contest Comment Thread

All comments in relation to the spring contest should go here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19
Send a message via Yahoo to Bluebell

I have a question... Are we allowed to ask for critiques on our rough pieces before posting them to the contest thread somewhere else on the board? Or is it supposed to be posted fresh to the board in the contest thread?
"Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality ... that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"~~H.P. Lovecraft
Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Lost Traveler (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I always understood that each piece was supposed to be fresh to the board, unseen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Without words
without writing and without books there would be no history, there could be no concept of humanity.

Hermman
Herman Hesse

Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

Thanks...that's what I was figuring, I just couldn't find any rules concerning it among the messages, thought I was ask.
"Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality ... that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"~~H.P. Lovecraft
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

There is no specific rule on the matter, as technically one can ask for feedback for contest entries on WB before submitting them. The reason for this is that it is allowed for people to submit work that fits the theme of the contest even if it is older than the contest, and that they may have posted on WB at some point.

However as Lost Traveller has said there has been an understanding not to seek critique for an entry on WB before submitting. You are free to seek critiques after submitting/the contents closing, this is fine due to the no editing rule on submitted work.

So you can ask for critique for the rough draft on WB before Submitting, but it might not be well received by some members when they vote. It is your choice.

May I insted suggest you seek the advice of some friendsto help you with your rough draft.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Can there be adult content in the entry? Can I get a little hot and steamy?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

Yes, I was wondering about that and words that some people don't like... Do we have to censor since it's public?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

A story with cursing and small amount of sexuality/violence, etc., is fine. If it's something that is more "adult-only," giving a disclaimer and hiding the story under spoiler tags would be the best option. Most of the forums here are public, except for Members Only and the Adult forum, so just use your own discretion, and chances are it'll be fine

Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Can there be adult content in the entry? Can I get a little hot and steamy?
You can submit entries that contain some Adult Content material, with a disclaimer, and I may ask you to withdraw the entry if I think it is too much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tau For This Useful Post:
luckyme (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

To prevent my entry from being rejected, I have started over, deleting all the adult parts.
Thanks for letting me know, and preventing me from entering with unsuitable material.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

Okay, thanks. I just have a few cuss words in mine...and possibly a little gore...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
glyndwr99 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

I have to say this was fun! It has been a while since I have written fresh and new poetry, and so it gave me the chance to dig out the pen and paper and create something fun.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

So wait...does that mean I have until June to finish my story? Umm, cause I was rushing to finish it up.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Yeah you do, so unfair! Lol
But now you can take your time and I wish I had waited before posting mine.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Well the extensihon was not intended, and is the result of the delay ofthe WBQ, but yes, there is now extra time for thoes that have not entered and would like to do so.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

It'll teach me to post early. Next time I am going to wait and wait and then wait some more until there is hardly any time left and then I'll post.
Hahhahaha, besides there were an awful little amount of entries in the prose section to choose from, so the extension is for the best I guess.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

If you wait to long then you'll miss the deadline though.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Hhaha, True. I'll just post when I'm done.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Ack! I posted mine up (a poem) and the spaces came out all wonky! I don't want to edit it, as I don't want to be disqualified, but there should only be one space between the stanzas & now there's huge big gaps. Grrrr argh stupid computer!

Sorry about that!

Last edited by thisangel; 03-31-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

You could ask a staff to correct it for you. They might be inclined to, it's not that big a change.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Thisangel, I will corret it for you.

Edit: That better, if I tried to get the formating right but in places it was hard to tell, let me know if it still is not right.

Last edited by Tau; 03-31-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

You see Thisangel, sometimes you don't even need to formally ask.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Thanks Tau, that's perfect!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Bluebell (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

I'm actually very happy there was an extension and I hadn't posted yet. While I was satisfied with what I had by deadline...I had realized I could cut stuff and find more wordage to rewrite the ending for a totally different type of story. Now I can do that, plus test read my story with a few friends to see which they like better. One ending is happy, one is dark, horror style. Two totally different feelings for the story.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Word Vault Contest - That Man

Gloryia - interesting storyline. The following sentence could be taken two ways:
How often have I had to place my hands over his and slowly evince the correct method?
As a question as you have indicated by the use of a question mark. Or, it could be taken as a emphatic statement. I wonder which would fit your story better.

Nice work.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Word Vault Contest - R.J. schus

The story was interesting and mystical. I found the following to be a little strange use of the word "formulate".
"...taking short pauses to formulate her way through..."
Although the dictionary definition I found would indicate that your usage could be valid, I personally would have preferred maybe "plan" or "determine".
Nice work.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Comment - The Deserted Road - Reparation

Interesting writing style. It held my attention through to the end which I somewhat anticipated. A bit of a downer, but well done.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Comment - Agatha Cristie's "The Deserted Road"

The story flowed along nicely with a somewhat expected ending and yet with an unexpected twist. There was one aspect that did bother me with the following:
'What time was that?' asked Jan.

Roberta looked at her watch.

'Must have been about quarter to eight.'

The colour drained from Jan's face.
The timing element is what gives Jan the supernatural link between the movie and the actual fire. However, the previous mentions of time -the movie started at seven and Caroline had to get home because it was eight-thirty - gives the reader a rather broad time period of an hour and a half. What if when Jan pulls her hand back from Caroline's arm the glowing watch face of her wrist-watch shows it's seven-forty-five?

I like the story. Well done!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 The Deserted Road - Purpose

Aurilia - I like this! In a few words you conveyed a complete story and it's a nostalgic and interesting story. You nicely left enough unsaid for us to fill in with our own imagination. Well done!
The Following User Says Thank You to norvbrooks For This Useful Post:
Aurilia (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Aurilia (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

Thankee kindly. All I could 'see', so-to-speak, when I saw the prompt/theme were the stretches of roads that people don't/can't use anymore for whatever reason. There's a stretch of old highway near my grandparent's place in Wyoming that was abandoned when I-80 was put in, and Hwy 5 in Iowa was re-routed between Pella and Knoxville when Red Rock Dam was put in. And I've seen other examples from Maine to Washington of roads that were obviously once well-traveled but had fallen by the wayside. It always makes me feel a little sorry for them.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests