WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Jurrasic Park

Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Calvin1093 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Jurrasic Park

Would you say that Jurrasic Park is a "great" novel? I think so. But almost everyone I've ever talked to thought it was terrible, and an insult to literature. Although this is only my opinion, I think it was the greatest work of fiction I've ever read. ever. It was exciting, kept me on the edge of my seat, and intellectually stimulating. However, that's just my personal taste. But what do you guys think? I'd like to hear what other people thought about it.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Kazeshini (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

Funny, earlier today I was reading this article and it made me think of the movie.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/0...ensaurus/all/1

Never read the book though.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179

"Jurrasic Park" is a classic, but I had to struggle to get through it. I read it while living in a studio apartment in Las Vegas in 1993. I wish I could go back 20 years and do things right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Rabin (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I think "great" may be a bit of a stretch, but I thought it was really good. It turned me onto Michael Crichton's other works which I also enjoyed.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM
FX Lord (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 42

Anyone who knows me knows I was obsessed with Spielberg films from a young age. At one time, anything he did was gold in my eyes.

Imagine my excitement then when, at the age of 17, I saw the first trailers for 'Jurassic Park.' I couldn't wait and ran out to a bookshop to buy the novel.

When I read the novel, I was frantic with anticipation for the film because what I pictured from the book would make the most incredible film. I even made a £200 bet with a college friend that it would beat 'Last Action Hero' at the box office (Empire magazine had the Arnie pic tipped as the Summer champ).

When the film came around I queued for hours (actually I was at the front and there 5 hours before the doors opened - kids huh?). This was going to be the cinematic experience of my life...

Two hours later, I left the cinema deflated. One thought ran through my mind: 'Is that it?'

The book promised a dark visceral experience with endless set pieces and absorbing characters. The film was a colourful watered down version with cardboard cut-outs for characters with very little plot. The effects were the only impressive element.

While everybody who did not read the book marvelled at the film, as far as I was concerned Spielberg had delivered his weakest film to date. I remember interviews taken in the street by the BBC, whenever they spoke to someone who had read the book beforehand the reaction echoed mine: 'The book was better. Much scarier.'

I suspect those who say 'Jurassic Park' was an insult to literature based their opinion on the film and didn't even bother to read the book. Had they read the book they would realise that Hollywood missed the opportunity to make a truly great film.

At least I won the bet
Old 09-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Britt (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

I've never read the book but saw the movie(s) and the Jurrasic Park movies never get old no matter how many times I watch them.

"Death is but a word."
Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

I prefered Chriton's Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior as the Movie). With Jurassic Park, the movie wasn't too bad, but I've never really been a dinosaur person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

I loved it, read it while taking my then young teens to the watermark. I went on to read many of Crichton's books, I like the nano tech one, Prey. He has a cool mind.

Come to think of it I saw the movie first, must have.
Whiskers (07-11-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Thewritingkid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

I've never read the book, but I want to. There aren't many good dinosaur or paleontology books out there that I've heard of, and I would definitely like to look into them. As for the movie, well, I've seen it at least twice, maybe three times or so, and it's probably on my list of favorite movies of all time. Given that I've seen about 20 movies to completion in my entire life, that's probably not that big of a deal.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:15 AM
Checker (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

I thought it was readable - "okay" at best.

Though I cannot, from my memory alone, offer any constructive analytic criticism, I can remember lazing through it not particularly impressed by anything, and that the end left a bad taste in my mouth.

Due to this experience, I have avoided all other Chriton novels as much as is possible with the various lit classes I've taken in the past few years.
"So you are going to relax, cher ami. You are determined to hide your trembling, achieve a few moments of silence, begin smoking one of your delightful cigarettes, and then after this appropriate expenditure of precious time and in the midst of your composure, then you will attempt to dissuade me, to talk me back to sanity (as you will express the idea), to appeal to my kindness and good sense. I approve. I am listening. The hour is yours. But of course you may use the lighter. Only reach for it slowly and keep in mind my warning. Do not be deceived by my good nature. I am as serious as a sheet of flame."

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library