WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Working on a holiday. (when one gets very bored ;))

Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345
Default Working on a holiday. (when one gets very bored ;))

Working on a holiday

Iím extra grumpy when I arise. My brain is seemingly inert this morning. See! I use awkward novel narrative diction when Iím working on a holiday!

My cold, gray, cubicle greets me when I arrive at the office. And the ugly yellow lights shining from the ceiling are bright enough to give me false feelings of absolution from heaven above. Thatís good. My earlier, albeit creative, use of four letter words while sitting behind the wheel of my Z, were enough to fill the hot placeís dinner table full of souls for Thanksgiving this year. Go 2009!

No, I hadnít been cursing my slow position in traffic. But rather, it was the lack of the heart warming bumper to bumper that caused my fist to pound the orange steering wheel like a deranged drummer. Was I the ONLY loser working on a holiday?

Three cups of coffee later, and a head count of me, myself, and I, propels me into another pity party, table for one. Eeyors got nothing on this feeler sorry for her selfer.

It could be worse, I tell myself. But I canít seem to fathom how at the moment. Problem is, when your thinking about only your problems, other ones only seem to get in the way of, well, building a temple to oneselfs problems.

Standing at the buildings window, I can hear the hum of my computer's fan.

You must do some work today, it whirs, it will all pile up if you do not.

But still, I stand, looking down at the empty street with one exception. Scene one plays within my mental cinema. Camera pans the street, zooming in on a newspaper thatís blowing down the lane. And then, music softly plays. Heart wrenching, tear jerking, orchestrated magic that lulls your senses. The camera turns to the lone rust colored Z t-top parked in my spot.

Feel sorry for me! Iím working on a holiday!

I need more coffee.

Calli

Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

The dark sedan with the tinted windows cruises the block. It's been down this block before, many times before.

His pulse quickens as he spots the familiar Z. It can't be he thinks to himself, as he slowly turns into the parking lot. Not today, her alone in the building. He passes the Z and slides into corner of the lot, parking his sedan.

For a few minutes he sits watching, waiting to see if there are any signs of anyone else except her. Feeling sure there is only her, here alone on this holiday, he climbs out and casually walks towards the entrance. His gloved fingertips brush gently over the hood of the Z. A slight caress he says to himself. Beneath his dark shades a thin lipped smile crosses his taut jawline.
The wind whips the long edges of his black trenchcoat about him like the flailing wings of a wounded bird. Fate is bringing it to him

With a last look around he slips inside the building. A slight click behind him tells him the door is closed and locked. They are alone.

He's been here before. The unnoticed messenger going about his task behind the bustle of office workers as he seeks out that which he covets. Always the same routine. Always the same result. Eventually chance presents itself, and the moment is seized. The shock, then the struggle. The touch of cold steel and the smell of fear. His elixir. His temporary cure for his disease.

Quietly he waits on the landing. No sound other than the muted hum of machinery and the warm air being pushed through the ductwork overhead. She is alone in her office. Her cubicle. He's been in the cubicle. Never touching only looking. Today that changes.

Fighting back the urge to rush, he starts up the stairs, one at a time. Each step brings him closer to his ultimate goal. Yes, she should have been home this holiday, but she isn't. One more step and he is into the hallway that will take him to the cubicle. Her cubicle.

Last edited by Gaines; 11-27-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

OMG Gaines! Brilliant lmao

I almost fell outa my chair, I was laughing so hard readin that...

and then...I looked around my office for suspicious peeps.

Calli
Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
aí Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Many years ago, when I was in the employment of a merchant bank in NYC, they had ways of getting us to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The company had regular blood drives anyway, when employees were encouraged to donate a pint to someone else for a change (they even brought them in to make it easy) but on that one day, they would give us really great gifts for a pint of the red stuff. Rest of the year you might get a golf umbrella or a t-shirt, but come Thanksgiving it was cameras and binoculars and good stuff. Still have the binoculars (and they still work great).

Anyway, I feel for you, Calli. Have a ?

(And check the stationery cupboard for a baseball bat, just in case Gaines gets too close. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by calligraphy View Post
OMG Gaines! Brilliant lmao

I almost fell outa my chair, I was laughing so hard readin that...

and then...I looked around my office for suspicious peeps.

Calli
You going out with a whimper or are you going to fight back???

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
Many years ago, when I was in the employment of a merchant bank in NYC, they had ways of getting us to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The company had regular blood drives anyway, when employees were encouraged to donate a pint to someone else for a change (they even brought them in to make it easy) but on that one day, they would give us really great gifts for a pint of the red stuff. Rest of the year you might get a golf umbrella or a t-shirt, but come Thanksgiving it was cameras and binoculars and good stuff. Still have the binoculars (and they still work great).

Anyway, I feel for you, Calli. Have a ?

(And check the stationery cupboard for a baseball bat, just in case Gaines gets too close. )
Hey, don't tell her where the bat is. That's not fair. I only have a knife!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
You going out with a whimper or are you going to fight back???

I dunno...is he hot?

Hey, don't tell her where the bat is. That's not fair. I only have a knife!

Have you even READ one of my shorts? He'd pop in, I'd offer him a drink, bingo, bango, Gaines finds himself tied in my basement. Oh ya, and by the way, thanks for the knife.

Awww I guess thanksgiving wasnt too bad afterall

Calli
Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

That's no way to treat an officer of the law!

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing