WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Advice about international universities?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
ChicGeek (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon5 Advice about international universities?

Hi everyone,

I've got a really confusing situation that I'd like some advice on, so anyone that has ANY comments is welcome to contribute as much as they can.

I'm currently studying at a university in Australia, doing a double major in creative and professional writing. I chose the uni because it was very well recognised and considered to be a great choice. unfortunantly, i hate it.
the course is.... :O I don't even know the word, so that says a lot.

There is however an Art uni that offers a much more flexible and fun environment, but is ranked extremely low academically.

I've been offered an opportunity to go to France, and apply for a position at a university there. But, my French is poor and that would be extremely difficult.

So my options are (feel free to tell me which ones suck and to suggest alternatives)

1. Stay with the university I'm with now. Complete my course then decide what to do.

2. Go to France and hope that I will learn the language fast enough.

3. Apply to this other university, take up some units in french, then apply to the French university.

and to top all that off, my boyfriend of 4 years is moving to France next year. He's asked me to come with him, and I want to but as far as university goes, I'm not sure if I can.

Any advice?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Kasubi

Take boyfriend out of the equation. If you've lasted four years you'll last a couple more until you've finished your education. Nothing worse than following someone half way across the globe, breaking up and resenting them for not allowing you to explore the limits of what you could be.

Hey, you did say any comments

Boyfriends will be there or won't. You, meanwhile, need to figure out what you want to do.

How far through the course are you? I'm assuming it's a three-year BA?

Generally the first year is fantastic, people rarely remember the second year, and the third year sucks.

If you're in your first year and it sucks very badly, you can think about leaving. But just make sure it's the course, not homesickness, missing the boyfriend or not having made new friends yet. Talk over your feelings with your tutor.

If you're in your second year, that's harder, because you're almost half-way through. You need to weight up the pros/cons very carefully, especially the financial ones. Remember - once you've got that degree, no one can take it away from you. It's done.

If you're in your third year: stick it and get to the end. Just try and squeeze in as much fun as you can between exams and dissertations. Definitely a bad idea to quit.

Regarding France - it's tempting if your boyfriend is there, but don't let that decide your life. I'd agree it could be extremely difficult to get through a university degree in French, though you might find you improve quickly. If you're expected to hand work in in French, that will be tougher and you'll need a real commitment to learning the language pronto. Sounds like hard work unless you really love the idea.

I think the answer you're probably hoping for is to check out the other course in Aus. Having a low academic status only matters if: 1. you plan on getting a prestigious job in Aus after you're done or 2. you want to do your post-grad at Cambridge.

On the whole, no one else is ever going to go look up the academic ranking of an Australian university. If you have a degree, you have a degree.

Plus, if you're enrolled on a course you're enjoying, you're more likely to get a better grade. A 1st class from a lower university is better than a 3rd from a major one.

Especially if you're only in your first year, it's important you find something that's right for you. Three years is a long time to commit to something you hate.

Check it out, talk to all the tutors, consider the financial aspect - do what feels right.

All the best with it

Last edited by Kasubi; 11-05-2010 at 02:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ChicGeek (11-07-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

Although France might sound tempting, you'd have to weigh up whether the language would hinder you. I've been, and fortunately most people in France speak English, if you don't have to have lessions in it, anyway, however, unless you can speak very good French already, it might be better to stick with English speaking Universities. And bear in mind that it is very hard to get in at the moment - I don't know the situation in Australia, but here in England the situation is dire, so before you jump, make sure you know exactly what you are doing and won't regret it.
I hope that helps.
Dela Eden
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dela Eden For This Useful Post:
ChicGeek (11-07-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Kasubi

Yes, the UK is going into meltdown. From free university education to an average debt of 40,000 in the space of three generations. Unbelievable.

Aus isn't nearly as mental. Plus, if you're in Euro or GBP, you have the advantage of the exchange rate - U$D unfortunately doesn't.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

But yes, the UK isn't a good idea. I'm going to have to go to university here in Britain. It will cost me 7000 a year for tuition only. That will be at least 11,000 of debt a year. After three years, I will end up in debt for the majority of my life.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Kasubi

If you're a Brit, the debt gets written off after 25 years - or it used to

The ConDems are talking about upping the payback threshold from 15,000 to 21,000 - which is the wage you'll have to earn from all the non-existent jobs we have in this country before you start paying back the debt

7,000 is good going. It's going to average 9,000 - it's always a lot higher for foreign students too, sometimes double. You used to be able to avoid it by going to Scotland who had no, or minimal, fees - but they're now going to charge English students (not any other foreign students - just English) the same as they would have to pay in England - oh irony
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Brilliant. I hate England. Now I have another reason to add to my list. Anywhere cheaper than here?
You know you want to -
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Kasubi

You hate England? Wow. Emotive language. What's so bad about it? I mean, say, compared to somewhere like the DRC
ChicGeek (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 AM
ChicGeek (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks for your advice ! yes it's a 3 yr BA.
It's hard because I really don't want to pressure my boyfriend into anything, since i know he has his own plans and mine wouldn't fit into that.

too confusing.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Kasubi

Then it's not hard. Screw the boyfriend (literally and metaphorically) and enjoy being young and free to follow the things you want to do. Planning your life around someone else’s plans at this early stage seems frightfully stifling. If he isn't planning his life around you, why should you vice the versa?
ChicGeek (11-09-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by Kasubi View Post
You hate England? Wow. Emotive language. What's so bad about it? I mean, say, compared to somewhere like the DRC
I will not sit here and list everything because it will take me forever.
You know you want to -
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

ChicGeek, what uni is it?

If it's Go8 (Group of Eight, like Melb., WA, etc.) - stay, please. If not, depending on the university, I'd still contend against going to a foreign university, especially one where your language ability isn't so strong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe