WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

How I Write - 500 Words

Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

That depends on how well you do the one draft and one edit, doesn't it?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
CandraH

Not necessarily. I think a lot of people get overconfident and too close to their work and believe it to be almost perfect first time out. But from personal experience of my own and others' writing, thats not often the case. I figure it takes at least a good couple of edits and time periods away from the story/novel to be able to *polish it to a standard where all the ideas, themes, plot, characters, descriptions and imagery, and any subplots or metaphors come together as a finished whole.

*not to the point of blindness...

Last edited by CandraH; 02-10-2011 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: typo and clarity
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
MoltenLight (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

If I'm being honest, I've always drafted to that amount with a piece I really cared about.

Firstly, I've never attempted writing a novel. I do agree with you that, yes, 10-15 revisions of a whole novel is actually quite silly. However, I write poetry and short fiction of 1,000 words so I have more space to experiment and modify things. I probably could have been clearer on this, so my apologies.

Secondly, and before you jump the gun, I'm not saying you don't care about your work. You could say I'm somewhat of a perfectionist - however, certainly not to the extent Gaines was saying. Revising and experimenting works for me and, best of all, they're something I personally love doing with my best work.

Finally, I wanted to share my methodology with others as it could benefit them and it could also spark discussion on other's methods. Talk about attitudes is significantly off-topic and although I may have contributed to the argument, I want to focus back on the true topic of this thread.

Edit:

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
I'm beginning to think Moltenlight was mostly talking about poetry but decided to make the 10-15 revisions recommendation relevant to prose also. Not sure if it's acceptable in poetry or not as I'm no expert but for prose it just seems over the top. Though, at the opposite end of the scale, one draft and one edit seems a bit little.
This is my fault. I should have been clearer in the beginning. And indeed, I was talking about poetry and short fiction.

Last edited by MoltenLight; 02-10-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by MoltenLight View Post
If I'm being honest, I've always drafted to that amount with a piece I really cared about.

Firstly, I've never attempted writing a novel. I do agree with you that, yes, 10-15 revisions of a whole novel is actually quite silly. However, I write poetry and short fiction of 1,000 words so I have more space to experiment and modify things. I probably could have been clearer on this, so my apologies.

Secondly, and before you jump the gun, I'm not saying you don't care about your work. You could say I'm somewhat of a perfectionist - however, certainly not to the extent Gaines was saying. Revising and experimenting works for me and, best of all, they're something I personally love doing with my best work.

Finally, I wanted to share my methodology with others as it could benefit them and it could also spark discussion on other's methods. Talk about attitudes is significantly off-topic and although I may have contributed to the argument, I want to focus back on the true topic of this thread.
Haha. No worries. That was a grim picture Gaines painted for sure.

And thats cool about experimentation with poetry and shorter pieces. I figured after reading your later posts that that might have been the case.

Also, an apology from me about my interpretation of your intention and possible arrogance. I'll mention no more about it.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Domenic

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 03-16-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
1000Steps (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Interesting to read so many different opinions
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 PM
4trevor (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 2

less informed than I was hoping it would be..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 4trevor; 03-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: unsure how to delete a post
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

You're nineteeen and studying journalism/creative writing at university. I'm curious as to what makes you think you're in a position to give advice?
I'm rather disappointed that this sort of comment is now easily visible on Writers' Beat.

I'm not going to launch into some tirade on how some writers were most successful when they were young, or how this writer or that made it to the top book charts at a certain age. But what is quite sad is that this idea is now prominent amongst many, and not just in terms of writing.

For one, writing is something that is expandable. It's a skill, yes, but also an art, and even more. It changes, and it's not limited to people over 25. It's true that those with age probably have more experience than those who are younger, but all the same, it's ridiculous to suggest that simply because someone is young that what they say cannot or should not be considered. Certainly, if what you're proposing is true, then by all means I should be one of the most brilliant writers on this forum, just by the grace (or rather, the ungraceful state!) of my age.

We all grow in our knowledge, and the last thing we should do is to limit others in expressing themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM
CandraH

SW, read the words in the quote you pasted and the rest of my posts in this thread carefully, because you just did what others did. You assumed I was questioning the op's writing ability by mentioning their age and status as a student.

I think thats what people might call a personally blinkered lack of reading comprehension based on assumptions rather than consideration of the words on the screen.

Last edited by CandraH; 03-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Poor word choice
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Yes, I did read what you had to say (and everyone else), and of course I understand.

But the point is that the comment did make its way on to the boards, and it was something that implies mostly only one thing: young age = no reason to give advice. We just have to realise that sometimes comments can be interpreted in the wrong way to what we mean, and you should note that I was discussing what I did in a general way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
butterbescotch (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 6

@SW

I think there is no need to mention it. Whether the problem is solved or unsolved,
It is not an issue anymore.

-----------------------

@Topic

I totally agree with TS and especially this
"I don't think there's a specific way to actually write."
You see, I have tried following almost all english books' take on writing process
but I am always frustrated why can't I do it good. I started freewriting but I can't
get the words out of my head, either by brainstorming or clustering.
Then I realized that I should not conform to the process but rather the process should conform to me. :]
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
allswl (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

All I can say is to each his own. For me I generally do my research quickly and the allot the time to write the article. Depending on the topic it can take me up to 30 minutes.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice