WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest | Non-Fiction | Nature (November 2006)

Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20
Default Contest | Non-Fiction | Nature (November 2006)

This month for the Non-Fiction contest, we're asking you to write, in a minimum of 1000 words, your thoughts on nature verses Nurture. It really is that vague, so feel free to go by statistics, (while in written form), or to write your thoughts, opinons, beliefs, experiences, compare and contrast, etc. upon the subject of Nature verses Nurture.

Entries that go over the word count (including the title) will be penalized. Winners will be chosen for each of the three categories. You may submit an entry in all three categories, if you wish. The decision of the judges (currently WB staff members) is final.

Entries must be posted between November 1st at the end of the day (11:59 p.m., US Pacific Time) on November 24th. Winners will be announced on December 1st and will be “published” in the newsletter.

Please post all submissions in this thread. All members are welcome to post, but everyone is limited to ONE submission in the Non-Fiction section of the contest (remembering that you may also post a submission in Fiction and Poetry in addition to your post here, as long as it abides to the rules of the other contests.)

If there are any questions, please notify myself or any other staff member via Private Message/Pager Message.

Enjoy and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Oasis Writer; 11-12-2006 at 04:58 PM..
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Environment: The area in which something exists or lives.
Nature: The natural physical world including plants, animals, landscapes, etc.

These seem virtually the same to me. Unless you mean nature versus a human environment like a city. Please clarify.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

We don't want to limit anyone too much on this topic, but I think what we had in mind is the question about whether certain traits, actions, beliefs, etc. are a result of a person's (or animal's) nature (genetics, breeding) or a result of their environment (the way in which they are treated, where they grow up, etc.). These are just examples and not all inclusive, so feel free to expand on this idea. (Or watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy, LOL.) I hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:15 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
We don't want to limit anyone too much on this topic, but I think what we had in mind is the question about whether certain traits, actions, beliefs, etc. are a result of a person's (or animal's) nature (genetics, breeding) or a result of their environment (the way in which they are treated, where they grow up, etc.)
That question is really the nature vs. nurture issue. The word environment is somewhat misleading.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

Okay then. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

yes, you should change the word to nurture... nature v. environment made no sense to me.
Nature v. Nurture does.

(and Ironically, I'm working on that exact topic right now, and will write an essay on it this wednesday. Funny how life does that.)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask me or any other staff member =]
Old 11-12-2006, 08:56 PM
coben (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I'm sorry, I'm new here. How do you actually enter this contest? Couldn't quite figure that one out although it is before 6 am and my brain is mush. Many thanks.

Hi, me again. Just figured it out. Looked on the other contest threads and saw the replys. Einstein has nothing on me. Off now to hide my embarrassed head. Dum de dum, de dum...

Last edited by Oasis Writer; 11-13-2006 at 12:59 PM..
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 AM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Closed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests