WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results | Poetry | Halloween Special (October 2006)

Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20
Default Contest Results | Poetry | Halloween Special (October 2006)

The winner this month was xfacktor. Nicely done dude, once again. We hope more try next month.

ronoxQ
15, 13, 13

sketch_chic85
17, 16, 13

xfacktor
17, 17, 18

kaolin
13, 14, 13

__

Winner: xfactor

xfacktor - 18/20
ronoxQ – 17.33
sketch_chic – 15.33
kaolin – 13.33

Originally Posted by Oasis Writer View Post
Member: ronoxQ
Title: Today

Mechanics: 4/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 7/10

Comments: This was very nice. I actually caught all of the meanings behind this one, which did help and made it simplier for me to catch on to what was being made. I liked it. Nicely done.

Score: 15/20

Member: sketch_chic85
Title: Dark side of the Harvest Moon

Mechanics: 5/5
Overall Impression: 8/10

Comments: Imagry was nicely done here, I liked the simple rhymes, although in places, they seemed to not match that well, which slowed the flow for me, but luckily, not too bad. Sent chills up my spine Nicely done.

Score: 17/20

Member: xfacktor
Title: Broken Contract

Intangibles: 5/5
Overall Impression: 8/10

Comments: Very interesting concept. I liked how the flow, tone, and voice were all very strong and pulled my attention, even though I found this one a little harder to really get sucked into. Your emotion really saved you

Member: kaolin
Title: Untitled

Mechanics: 3/5
Intangibles: 3/5

Comments: Not too bad...not really my type, but the depth and emotive behind it really helped. Flow was okay. Keep working on it.

Score: 13/20

Scores:

sketch_chic85 - 17
xfacktor - 17
ronoxQ - 15
kaolin - 13
Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Overall: 6/10
Comments: The link to the theme is tenuous at best. Despite that, there is a strong message here in concise phrases. I like the full circle effect and how "hatred" and "fighting" start with the same letters as "hope" and "future."
Score: 13/20

Title: Dark side of the Harvest Moon
Overall: 7/10
Comments: It's hard to create convincing, unforced couplet rhymes, but you've done a nice job. The rhythm is reminiscent of a witch's spell. The repetition of the one stnaza, though, seemed a bit much. Perhaps once, but not twice would be better.
Score: 16/20

Overall: 8/10
Comments: A very hypnotizing rhythm and excellent tie to the theme. A solid poem that I'm having trouble finding fault with. Ahh, but witches should know better!

Title: Untitled
Overall: 7/10
Comments: I like the imagery in the first stanza that relates, blossom, petal, and softness to the contrast of fear. Also, the use of the word "your" makes the narrator an ominous presence. However, the end loses something for me. I stumble on the last two lines, particularly the word "awoken."
Score: 14/20
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Overall Impression: 6/10

13/20

While you have an interesting message and idea here, my biggest gripe against this is that it has very little to do with the prompt. And I think you could have gone a lot scarier with this same idea. I wasn’t feeling much emotion and my own preference in poetry is to have punctuation, not just some (i.e. commas) but all (i.e. periods, too!).

Title: Dark Side of the Harvest Moon

Mechanics: 3/5

13/20

You punctuation use is distractingly helter-skelter – periods here and there but not everywhere – so it just looks sloppy. I thought you could have altered the repeating stanza a little each time to add some variety. I did like some of the images you created and the overall concept is decent. However, I kept expecting an answer to all these questions you were posing, and that never came, which made the end somewhat anti-climatic.

Overall Impression 8/10

18/20

This one danced quite nicely over my tongue and seems like a Halloween classic. I thought the rhymes seemed a little off at times, but not enough to distract me. Though not particularly scary, it was deliciously fun. Nice work!

Title: n/a

Overall Impression: 6/10

13/20

I think there’s some potential here (maybe expanding it might help?) for this to be pretty cool. I liked the first stanza, but after that I got a little lost. You might want to try reworking this and seeing what you come up with.

xfacktor - 18/20
sketch_chic - 13/20
ronoxQ - 13/20
kaolin - 13/20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests