WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Query Element

Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM
LordVader (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Query Element

Looking for a tip in regards to queries. Obviously there are numerous rules to queries however I've run into a bit of a snag.

A book needs to sell as a stand-alone product however my MS is meant to be part of a series. It ends kinda leading into the next book. Should I just put down how the book roughly ends in the query or should I say thats its "part of a series," something I've been advised against strongly.

I just dont know how to tell them how the story ends in the query...at least, I dont know how to write it out in an interesting fashion. I'm afraid its going to sound poor.

Any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

...should I say thats its "part of a series," something I've been advised against strongly.
DON'T!... heed that advice... it's sure suicide for a new, unknown writer to tout a series... the first book MUST be a heavy seller, BEFORE the publisher will even want to know if there's more in the works...

I just dont know how to tell them how the story ends in the query...at least, I dont know how to write it out in an interesting fashion. I'm afraid its going to sound poor.
if you want to be a writer, you'll have to figure out how to do that... if it sounds 'poor' in the letter, what do you think they'll expect the ms to 'sound' like?... if it IS a poor ending, then you'd better make up a better one...

welcome to the cold, cruel world of the writer!... it's not as easy as most folks think it is, when they decide that's what they want to be...

if you want help with that query, or your ending, feel free to email me any time...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice