WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.


Dyslexic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default Dyslexic


Straight lines lead to no places
Circular paths are the only way

The trip ends in the same spot
Views from the paths differ so

Value assessed by commonality
The uncommon wander, hoping

Learning not to be forced stupid
understanding the mirror calms

Time teaches those who survive
A lidless box opens the Universe

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vince For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-14-2018)
  #2  
Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Straight lines lead to no places
Circular paths are the only way

The trip ends in the same spot
Views from the paths differ so

Value assessed by commonality
The uncommon wander, hoping

Learning not to be forced stupid
understanding the mirror calms

Time teaches those who survive
A lidless box opens the Universe


Lacks a pulse.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Lacks a pulse.

But I do note that this is your chosen style.
My comment simply displays my opinion.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

the first step to truly seeing yourself is to recognize your opinions are just that
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2018, 05:24 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 402
Thanks 1,053
Default

I donít think it lacks a pulse; it lacks a connection to the writeróa personal connection.

I heard some poet once on the radio say(fucking poets): people so often believe that a written poem embodies its writer. Itís about the writer, personally. His life in some way. Sometimes poems are fiction, but they have to feel like they are intimately ďaboutĒ the author to feel right.

This is a little disconnected from that aesthetic. I donít see Vince in it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I donít think it lacks a pulse; it lacks a connection to the writeróa personal connection.

I heard some poet once on the radio say(fucking poets): people so often believe that a written poem embodies its writer. Itís about the writer, personally. His life in some way. Sometimes poems are fiction, but they have to feel like they are intimately ďaboutĒ the author to feel right.

This is a little disconnected from that aesthetic. I donít see Vince in it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. What you said.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

Its a hard one - you see I am dyslexic. Wasn't diagnosed as a kid and learned to compensate for it in my life in my own way. Spelling is very hard - letters and numbers get turned around. Reading is always fun - I see what is there but my mind relates to the feelings no the words. I often change them in my thoughts. but with time and practice I found ways around it. I don't think in stright lines. I notice things many don't and so on. So it the poem is a failure to communicate that, it is my fault
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 AM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,563
Thanks: 402
Thanks 401
Default

Check out Open-Dyslexic font. Got a friend who swears by it.
__________________
If it's worth the time its worth the risk -
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Its a hard one - you see I am dyslexic. Wasn't diagnosed as a kid and learned to compensate for it in my life in my own way. Spelling is very hard - letters and numbers get turned around. Reading is always fun - I see what is there but my mind relates to the feelings no the words. I often change them in my thoughts. but with time and practice I found ways around it. I don't think in stright lines. I notice things many don't and so on. So it the poem is a failure to communicate that, it is my fault

If it ain't some kind of secret I would like to know your age.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

I'm seventy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I'm seventy
Respect.

If it ain't pryin' further, why do you write?
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:12 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

I started some time ago before I retired. It the time I guess I was trying to make sense of my life by recording memories of significant personal events. I always told stories. My wife encouraged me to write them down - suspect that she may have been tired of listening to them. As a retired Psychologist I continue to be interested in human behavior and the reasons for it. So I write still hoping to make some sense of it before I go.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I started some time ago before I retired. It the time I guess I was trying to make sense of my life by recording memories of significant personal events. I always told stories. My wife encouraged me to write them down - suspect that she may have been tired of listening to them. As a retired Psychologist I continue to be interested in human behavior and the reasons for it. So I write still hoping to make some sense of it before I go.
Thanks for answering the question.

Where do you suppose you will go to?
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

one thing age teaches is that certainty is silly. I guess I will find out when i die. Last year i had unexpected Brain surgery. I was told afterward I almost died but at the time I felt calm and a sense of resignation. I know it has been said over and over but I have been different since then.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2018, 04:44 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
one thing age teaches is that certainty is silly. I guess I will find out when i die. Last year i had unexpected Brain surgery. I was told afterward I almost died but at the time I felt calm and a sense of resignation. I know it has been said over and over but I have been different since then.
I would be interested in reading a short piece about the operation.

Not a request.

However, it is good to write what you know those who pose as in the know like to say.
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

funny you should say I've been working on that story. Its been tricky because it is so fresh in my mind. My other stories are from many years ago. as many old people know long term memory tends to shapen with age. Short term - well, I forget.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vince For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-17-2018)
  #17  
Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Nick Pierce's Avatar
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,404
Thanks: 2,086
Thanks 1,367
Default

[QUOTE=Vince

funny you should say (that) I've been working on that story

[/QUOTE]


Jungian synchronicity
__________________
Through the smoke and fog there comes a form ... shape shifting ... could this be the Future?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 229
Thanks 424
Default

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
... I guess I was trying to make sense of my life by recording memories of significant personal events. I always told stories. My wife encouraged me to write them down - ... So I write still hoping to make some sense of it before I go.
Sounds familiar. The best thing I ever did, as far as making some sense out of what had been up until then a chaotic life, was write it all down. Seeing it put down in words on paper is a lot different than thinking about it in your head, and it helped clarify a lot of things for me.

So now I am healthy and happy and have nothing but dancing and joy in my life -- well, maybe not all that, but I do feel a lot better after writing it all down.
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 247
Thanks: 42
Thanks 67
Default

The best kind of poem in my view, riddled with mysterious depth.
On the surface it looks cut&dry, which is why I think you get that "lacks connection" comment. When you zero on the dyslexic perspective, there's plenty of connection. The reader just has to put more of themselves into it. Again the best kind of poetry.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

Nick, It may be that I am too old for Jung. I guess I'll have to Annalise it. Now where did i put that couch.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vince For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-19-2018)
  #21  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

Prodigalson,

I know writing it down helps - of course my handwriting is terrible, to cover the spelling problems and my sense of humor - to distract from other issues - helped me survive until I realized none of it mattered.
But writing still helps and memorization,as well.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM
Vince (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 181
Thanks: 2
Thanks 34
Default

spshane,

glad you liked it. Like all differences acceptance and adjustment lead to a better life. Dyslexia is not all bad just scary and debilitating until you embrace it. Thanks for getting it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:52 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.