WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

I'm a youtuber

Old 09-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Filterdreaming (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 24
Default I'm a youtuber

Hey guys. I'm a youtuber. I am looking at getting into script writing etc. But I'm not sure where to start. I also want to learn how to write jokes. Tips?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

wrc used to be around here. He taught script writing at the college level and ran some kind of production company on Los Angeles. Maybe send him a PM. Not sure of his whereabouts./
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Sh'nette (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

You haven't found any YouTube videos on the subject?

Food reviews:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

I watch Youtube, but mainly for interesting discussions/ documentaries.

I watch, for example, Rubin and at times, Rogan (I wish he had a few more IQ points).

There is a clear trend on Youtube: -

1) the counter narrative. US media is very left leaning and people want to hear the middle ground.
2) People enjoy a break down of popular culture that is not seen elsewhere (i.e. a breakdown of superhero crap that explains why it is derivative and/or bad)
3) People enjoy well-constructed criticism with high production values (which can mean good lighting and a clear script).
4) People enjoy pretty people delivering ASMR- odd but true.

If I were starting out on Youtube I would pick 2 and 3. (Actually I would pick 1, but that is potentially harmful.)

EDIT: In terms of jokes, don't try them if you are unsure. You can be fun and light-hearted without specific jokes.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 10-06-2018 at 05:29 AM..
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

American media is corporatist. The old idea that there is any difference (outside of window dressing) between “liberal” media and “conservative” media just isn’t true. Neither tell you the truth, not even on a local level. It’s newstainment, not news.

There is a middle ground, and there are places to find it, but most people are either too busy, uninterested, or not smart enough to do so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (10-06-2018), Glen Barrington (10-13-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
American media is corporatist. The old idea that there is any difference (outside of window dressing) between “liberal” media and “conservative” media just isn’t true. Neither tell you the truth, not even on a local level. It’s newstainment, not news.

There is a middle ground, and there are places to find it, but most people are either too busy, uninterested, or not smart enough to do so.
Yes, your media has become sadly partisan
Old 10-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Glen Barrington (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Yes, your media has become sadly partisan
Not just partisan, but willing to lie through the "sin of omission" Left AND Right. I'm conservative and I've practically stopped watching Fox News because of this. Their old motto of "We Report, You Decide", seems quaint at the very least. (BTW, Don't get me started on NBC/Comcast!). Internet websites are the way to go for news, anymore.

Back to topic:

I have found the Techsmith Tutorials pretty useful for professional looking. Naturally, they emphasise how to use the Techsmith products Camtasia Video editor and Snagit screen capture. But there's quite a bit on pre and post production too.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:29 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by Glen Barrington View Post
Not just partisan, but willing to lie through the "sin of omission" Left AND Right. I'm conservative and I've practically stopped watching Fox News because of this. Their old motto of "We Report, You Decide", seems quaint at the very least. (BTW, Don't get me started on NBC/Comcast!). Internet websites are the way to go for news, anymore.

Back to topic:

I have found the Techsmith Tutorials pretty useful for professional looking. Naturally, they emphasise how to use the Techsmith products Camtasia Video editor and Snagit screen capture. But there's quite a bit on pre and post production too.
If I were a American I would align libertarian, which would probably slot me soft right (realistically). I agree with almost all Democrat social policies, except two:

1) Gun control: once you amend the bill of rights, you have set a precedent that is uncontrollable. I find it unacceptable to remove the right of people to protect themselves against tyranny.
2) I do not believe that government is the answer. Government should be small. Certain rights need to be protected, but my fear is that the Democrats slowly encroach upon the US right to free speech via the back door.

As such, I would vote Republican. But that is all hypothetical, I am not American.

EDIT: Oh, back on topic, good advice.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 10-13-2018 at 05:44 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice