WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Meaning of life

Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

True, true, very true!

as an aside to Devon: I'm working on those commas
Maybe commas are the meaning of life?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Just a thought ,it came to me now - What's the meaning of life? I am the meaning of life.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

By god! I think kris has pinned the tail on the donkey. Struck gold, I tell you!

We are the meaning of life! Me, you . . . we are!

Really, anything that happens beyond is "afterlife".
Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Really , I think this is going to be my new answer to the question what's the meaning of life.

What's the meaning of life ? I am the meaning of life...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

What's the meaning of the afterlife, then? What about the before-life? Is there life before life? Does one die in the "afterlife" to be born in this life, just as one dies in this life to be "born" in the "afterlife"? Are things cyclical, or is everything just a one-shot deal? What is beyond what we can comprehend as tiny-minded human beings?

I can tell you right now, I'm going to be pissed off if I die and find out there's nothing after this life. Then again, that would be silly, considering I wouldn't even know I don't exist anymore anyway.

Ah, the fun of overthinking.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Devon just say - I am the meaning of life...(and concentrate to the heart not the brain). And then continue thinking about anithing else. And do this couple of times a day.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Are things cyclical, or is everything just a one-shot deal?
I'd like to think they could be cyclical. If a spirit moves to a different plane of existence why would its "handler" forbid re-entry, if it suits their needs?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

I suppose it could be cyclical if, after a bazillion eons of being bored with eternity, we decided to give the rides on Earth another go.

Seems like there'd be other amusement parks out there, though, some with better rides, and I'd want to try them all before coming back to Earth.

By then, it'd probably just be a glowing coal, with the tips of the highest mountains glowing white-hot from the proximity of the expanding sun, and there'd be no one around who would remember me.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

When I was younger and discovered my "movement theory " that I've mentioned above..i thought about death too ; and came to a conclusion... Death - it is movement but with no opposition . imagine a car left with just one part of it self ,that can not be separated ,traveling in a place where there is no threes ,rocks ,mountains ,buildings ,rivers any new things ,so it looks as this part of the car it is standing not moving.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 377

You could play a massive procedurally generated game like MineCraft or No Mans Sky and ask the same question. The "meaning" is given by how the characters can interact with and interpret the world. The interpretation and interaction are not independent; they rely on each other.

Right now you only have a limited capacity to interact with the world, some of this is due to physical limitations others due to societal and cultural limitations and then after this, in this small paradigm that remains you are given an interpretation. That is, your meaning of life is not your own.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Yeah -- it's like the blind people feeling different parts of an elephant -- they all have a different idea of what it's like.

My personal opinion is that life is just a way to get away from eternity for a while, and so has no meaning other than what we give to it.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 AM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 57

Most of this sound like a bunch of amateur Theology.

Allow me to tell you what's really going on here.

We are living in an Electro-Chemical Biological Computer of Infinity

The meaning and purpose of which is to explore various lifes, realities, dimensions and possibilities so that we can create our own reality and design our own being.
We are the result of a singular consciousness that divide itself into an infinite amount of individual consciousnesses simply because it was bored.

And........as a number it would be ........43.......not 42

42 is just one digit off. They couldn't reveal the true number (43) in the movie because it would freak people out, so they substituted it with 42, just to keep people safe from the truth.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Yet...I'm not freaked, now.

Your Electro-Chemical Biological Computer of Infinity sounds suspiciously like what other people call God, or the Universal Consciousness, or any number of other names.

We're all just guessing, but barring the possibility that it may have just been over-exited neurons at the point of death, I believe I've been there, but my impression was that, although there is a point to it all, it's not that critical what we do here on Earth.

This is just a flash-point in an indescribably long journey.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:30 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 57

The difference between the Electro-Chemical Biological Computer of Infinity and "God" is that when you say "God" 98% of people imagine the Zeus like imagine that god is an old white guy with a white beard who is in control of the happenings.

The ECBCI theory lends itself more towards extra-terrestrial artificial intelligence theory, or in simpler terms, "The Matrix"
Old 08-16-2016, 09:25 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 119

The human yearning for meaning might, according to a neurosurgeon whose name I forget, be a consequence of other neurological developments. He posits that as humans developed the capacity to think into the future we came to a point where we were able to foresee our own death. The fear of immanent death is, at its furthest extent, paralysing, and in order to overcome the fear of death evolution favoured those individuals who were able to allay it by imagining an alternative.

This theory was backed up by showing that the part of the brain that handles mystical experience (ie, the kind of processing that adds meaning to ordinary affairs) is the mirror of the region that handles future fears in the other hemisphere. When the neuroscientist stimulated the mystical region subjects experienced states with profound meaning - mystical experiences.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
The human yearning for meaning might, according to a neurosurgeon whose name I forget, be a consequence of other neurological developments. He posits that as humans developed the capacity to think into the future we came to a point where we were able to foresee our own death. The fear of immanent death is, at its furthest extent, paralysing, and in order to overcome the fear of death evolution favoured those individuals who were able to allay it by imagining an alternative.

This theory was backed up by showing that the part of the brain that handles mystical experience (ie, the kind of processing that adds meaning to ordinary affairs) is the mirror of the region that handles future fears in the other hemisphere. When the neuroscientist stimulated the mystical region subjects experienced states with profound meaning - mystical experiences.

So, potentially, the great enlightened people of this and past ages may have been nothing more than neurologically deficient, or brain damaged? Interesting. I would like to read about that.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
IDontWannaTalk (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Life is a meaningless thing.It would have been better if there was no life.I guess......
Old 08-16-2016, 03:21 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Originally Posted by IDontWannaTalk View Post
Life is a meaningless thing.It would have been better if there was no life.I guess......
I knew this woman once (and I don't want to sound demeaning) but she was such a slut. She didn't do "it" for gain, my impression was that she could only measure her value relative to the engorged penis gyrating within her bacterially infected and (as other girls would say) cavernous cunt (but how would they know, right?). Her reputation was for being crude and crass and my writing doesn't quite hit the mark in describing her. But anyway... after I fucked her... we were laying in bed and at that moment (not wanting to blow my own trumpet) she would have met her purpose until later she would have unstraddled herself and followed her vagina to the next man, but in that moment I asked her what the meaning of it all was (her having satiated hers in the meantime), thinking that surely this woman had figured it out, and she says to me between coughs and spasms "I don't know, I don't usually think about these things" - the thought that struck me next was "fuck I better go to a doctor, just in case I picked up something"... - well that should have been my next thought but instead I thought - "the more a person thinks on the meaning of life the less meaning life has"
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 08-16-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Old 08-16-2016, 04:30 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 57

Originally Posted by IDontWannaTalk View Post

Hmmmmm. Yes. Yes. This is a very interesting idea. But if there were no life, you would not have the consciousness to even come up with that idea. This is a serious existential problem. It is a mind boggle. There is but one serious existential problem, and that is suicide. If life is meaningless, than the universe is absurd. And as Albert Camus states ultimately in The Myth of Sisyphus Is that one should continue to live even if the universe is absurd. So I congratulate you for choosing to continue living in a life that doesn't mean anything.

Are you not learning anything? Are you not growing? Are you not discovering anything about your spiritual being? Have you not experienced love? Do you not enjoy lovely scents? Do you not have orgasms? Do you not enjoy the beauty of the blue sky and the white clouds? Do you not laugh at comedy, even if it is absurd? Do you have no Humor? Is there nothing to explore?

Would it have been better if there was no life at all?

All of those said things.

Are without a doubt. Better than nothing.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

I would like to nominate this ^^^ post for: best post of the year.

It's how writers should post about this hefty serious shit we all talkin' bout.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (08-19-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:36 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 57

Last edited by NuNu; 08-17-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 PM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 119

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
So, potentially, the great enlightened people of this and past ages may have been nothing more than neurologically deficient, or brain damaged? Interesting. I would like to read about that.
Not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll just answer as if you aren't:

I believe you'll find, in most religious traditions that claim to have enlightened practitioners, that the stated path to such ascension is paved by a lack of attachment to the material world - in other words the material world becomes increasingly meaningless. Therefore what I mentioned of the neuroscientist's hypothesis is not necessarily in conflict with the teachings of these religions.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:51 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Originally Posted by NuNu View Post
And PickleBottom is kind of sick in the head for replying to your post that way. A great man, no doubt, But I think he has experienced too many strange things in life to reply to such a simple statement....He can't digest it in an innocent matter without thinking of that cunt that one time, and what she said about the meaning of life.

But more than likely He is absolutely correct. He is in Fact.
Smarter than Tesla.
This much, We can not deny
I wouldn't go that far...

But anywho
I read Camus

If everything was rendered meaningless a la Caligula, would only then a person be able to find/create their own meaning?

In my impression, Nihilism has became a bad word yet existentialist nihilism is sexier, but the existentialism part is related to agency, Caligula (in the play) breaks the "reality" in which his citizens lived and therefore removed this illusion (that they had agency). Caligula made the rules random and meaningless.

Therefore, if someone else or other people are making all the decisions that limits your choice is your life meaningless relative to you? Do you even exist?

Perhaps nihilism as a positive forceful removal of all beliefs (a deconstruction) sense of the word could be used as the stepping stone to people "finding themselves" (their "spirit" walk) and what matters to them. From this point they can build their religious belief, once they have killed their God.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 57

Sorry PickleBottom. I was Drunk there for a couple of hours....
Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Originally Posted by NuNu View Post
Sorry PickleBottom. I was Drunk there for a couple of hours....
Nothing to apologise for, Tesla would have been offended, not me.

Apparently Tesla could hear a fly land in the next room. I only have the ability to hear a fly land within the room I am sitting within
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll just answer as if you aren't:

I believe you'll find, in most religious traditions that claim to have enlightened practitioners, that the stated path to such ascension is paved by a lack of attachment to the material world - in other words the material world becomes increasingly meaningless. Therefore what I mentioned of the neuroscientist's hypothesis is not necessarily in conflict with the teachings of these religions.

No, not being sarcastic at all. I WOULD like to read about this. I did do a google search and didn't find what I believe you to be talking about.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 PM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 119

Found the guy's name: Dr Michael Persinger - see the "God Helmet". Apparently, from just now reading a bit of the Wikipedia entry on Persinger, his research concerning this has been criticised by some, and one group of researchers failed to reproduce his results while others have succeeded in reproducing them. Persinger blamed faults with the computer setup for the former team's failure to reproduce his findings, and they contest it, so who knows.

Edit: should have mentioned that the "God Helmet" is just a place to start.

Last edited by eripiomundus; 08-17-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hmm... the meaning of life... I've been exposed to many people who claim to have the answer to life's meaning. And every time, and after some thought, I rejected their ideas because their ideas seemed like a hustle.

So now I look to my own life to see if there has been 'meaning' in it. And there was. I helped grow three sons into adulthood. That had a lot of meaning for me. I had some of my plays produced which was very meaningful to me. I walked away from University tenure, everyone thought I was nuts, but overcoming greed was very meaningful to me.

As I look back at my life I realize it was full of meaning. And I realized that the meaning came from me. I created it. It was self generated. I didn't have to meet other peoples expectations, dress or think a certain way. I just had to be true to myself, true to my value system. Self centered? What else is there? I found the other ideas to be mountian of bullshit.

And, no, I do not have any suggestions for your meaning except that you have the solution for your meaning in you. It's your problem. And you hopefully have a solution. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 AM
anna (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 41

but the experienced he described entwined with that woman was a form of innocence, she mused
Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Found the guy's name: Dr Michael Persinger - see the "God Helmet". Apparently, from just now reading a bit of the Wikipedia entry on Persinger, his research concerning this has been criticised by some, and one group of researchers failed to reproduce his results while others have succeeded in reproducing them. Persinger blamed faults with the computer setup for the former team's failure to reproduce his findings, and they contest it, so who knows.

Edit: should have mentioned that the "God Helmet" is just a place to start.

Very interesting stuff. I started with the god helmet and quickly moved on to his spirit drug talks. When I got to the remote viewing stuff my conditioning sort of automatically shut my brain off, but I haven't found a mass of critics shouting him down as a fraud or lunatic. My understanding of neural sciences is limited and so I have no reference points to draw from. It is, however, excellent stuff to think about for a fiction writer.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table