WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Meaning of life

Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18
Default Meaning of life

I think till now you probably have some opinion...

Old 03-24-2016, 01:36 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

Why does there have to be a meaning?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

It is the nature of mankind to search for meaning where there is none. That's why we have gods.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Why does there have to be a meaning?
Well it doesn't until you find it. But until than it don't have to have a meaning.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

[QUOTE=wyf;719225]It is the nature of mankind to search for meaning where there is none. That's why we have gods.[/QUO

God it is deeper , deeper , than all of your everyday emotions and feelings ,it's an intuition , it's ..Consciousness , higher... It starts in the question-What do I know?
Humans can't really tell you or write about it , like the Bible etc, for you to guide your self strictly by that...But it is the same God ,..it can't be expressed with words.You can take hints from it(Bible and other stuff)...underneath the letters.. Underneath... Don't ever look at stuff and understand them literally...

Last edited by Kristijan; 03-24-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 866

[QUOTE=Kristijan;719247]
Originally Posted by wyf View Post
Don't ever look at stuff and understand them literally...

So the truth cannot be represented with words? Or is it a secret (esoteric)?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 866

Ha ha! I made wyf speak with Kris's voice! ^^^
Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

What are words and what is older ask yourself ?

(i am much serious here on this side of the writers beat forum , so I won't comment on my words in wyf mouth.)(and it's a shame really,but I have decided to be serious here)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 866

Originally Posted by Kristijan View Post
What are words and what is older ask yourself )

Are you asking what is older, words or God?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Are you asking what is older, words or God?
Words are one way of describing our inner state. So I am talking about the layers of the human inner being
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 152

Words are one way of describing our inner state. So I am talking about the layers of the human inner being
Layers? Sounds like an onion.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Layers? Sounds like an onion.
Yes... cabbage*
lettuce*
brussel sprouts*
shallots*
leeks
But much more then the layers on these (with my full respect for these)

Last edited by Kristijan; 03-24-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 866

To what end?

Are we hoping to find the meaning of all life inside the human being?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

What are you saying?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

I think till now you probably have some opinion...
i have many because I think creationism takes the but,,,
otherwise perhaps none
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

Well I do too... Tell me yours if you'd like.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:01 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

For all of you , O, great intellectuals, I'll give you my theory of the meaning of life-

What is the meaning of life? If you ask me I will say-Movement...
If you ask me why, how , or what ever... I'll say -Because even with the asking of the question ,with the giving of your opinion that it is not ,or else , you are not doing anything else but -you are moving. New words... Imagine a car . That is you. A traveling car...Or any other kind of movement... What is movement...? To go from one to another... Different tree, bush ,building... Why we get bored...? Depressed ? What is the meaning of movement? To move... Why? Again we are in a circle cause why ,is just another bush... Moving... Behind the emotional beat . Movement can understand only movement. The static confuses it... The point of moving it is to move ,and keep on moving ...To move... You may have a child, or fame, or ... You a are temporarily owner of the movement... A tool ... Your obligation is to continue the movement... To move still... In the memory, etc... Moving , nothing else... And as sad as it is I often forget all about it... And live my life... Unconsciously or consciously trying to do my purpose.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
It is the nature of mankind to search for meaning where there is none. That's why we have gods.
Because none of it makes sense? Or because the gods give life meaning?

I don't see where a firm belief in any god has ever brought a lot of clarity to the table.

For all of you , O, great intellectuals, I'll give you my theory of the meaning of life-...Movement...
I would say the result of life is movement; I don't see it as being its purpose.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 04-03-2016 at 05:34 AM..
Old 03-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

The dam thing is that ...It is like doing something and- in it- searching the other level like " it is the result but not the meaning" while doing IT,while being it...while moving... It is fucked up... It can be suicidal if a person get this what i am saying , bitterness may occur ..so it is better to not... But maybe it can be great too ,after a while...and I know there is something else too...
Old 03-29-2016, 02:29 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Because none of it makes sense? Or because the gods give life meaning?

I don't see where a firm belief in any god has ever brought s lot of clarity to the table.
Because people need it to make sense. There has always been a need to explain why the sun rises and people die and everything in between. Gods give that to some.

I never said it gave clarity. Science gives clarity. Gods don't like science. That's why we have creationism and intelligent design. Gods are the enemy of clarity.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:08 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

what is the meaning of a grapefruit or a grain of sand? perhaps you should start with something small and work your way up.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:19 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

No one's said "42" yet. Why has no one said "42" yet?!?

Science gives clarity. Gods don't like science.
Actually, isn't there proof (or at least some strong suppositions) out there now that science and religion can actually intertwine, and that one does not have to/need to be separate from the other? That God (or gods, or what have you) exists because of science and vice versa?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Devon; 04-19-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Old 04-19-2016, 02:42 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Actually, isn't there proof (or at least some strong suppositions) out there now that science and religion can actually intertwine, and that one does not have to/need to be separate from the other?
i don't know if they can because it seems to me that they operate very differently. one involves faith in some kind of ultimate intelligent being (the abrahamic religions) and interpreting texts to glean 'truths', while the other is based on a (tried and tested) method for investigating the world; you come up with a hypothesis and you test it, if it works repeatedly, well then, it works. if not, back to the drawing board. religion simply doesn't work this way; it takes something to be true without the kind of rigorous experimentation that characterises science. they are two fundamentally different domains.

That God (or gods, or what have you) exists because of science and vice versa?
er... i don't know if anything exists BECAUSE of science, i mean, science is a kind of activity that people engage in to discover the nature of things that exist prior to the activity.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

But what about "42"??

they are two fundamentally different domains.
Not necessarily. You're looking at it/approaching it from the human viewpoint. Yes, granted, we are all human. But! . . . how could one exist without the other? Who (or what) made everything that science unfolds to begin with? Religion is something humans invented. Yes, so is science. To explain what? The universe around us -- its parts and the sum of its parts. Isn't it said (claimed by some) that God (or whatever higher-up one speaks about) is ubiquitous -- everywhere and everything, all at the same time? So . . . how can one exist without the other? I think we have too much of a habit of separating the two, and they don't need to be.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 04-19-2016 at 03:44 AM..
Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 AM
chippedmonk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 14

But what about "42"??

Not necessarily. You're looking at it/approaching it from the human viewpoint. Yes, granted, we are all human. But! . . . how could one exist without the other? Who (or what) made everything that science unfolds to begin with? Religion is something humans invented. Yes, so is science. To explain what? The universe around us -- its parts and the sum of its parts. Isn't it said (claimed by some) that God (or whatever higher-up one speaks about) is ubiquitous -- everywhere and everything, all at the same time? So . . . how can one exist without the other? I think we have too much of a habit of separating the two, and they don't need to be.
42! there you have it. yes it IS odd that it wasn't the first response.

i would say that some proponents of religion purport to explain the world whereas science offers testable theories to do the same. on the surface this may look like the same ball-game but its different.
religion resorts to 'divine texts' to figure out the world. science resorts to the scientific method. therein lies the difference. and it's a huge difference, it sets them worlds apart.
normally you'd consult scientists to explain particular phenomena, you wouldn't consult a priest on coral propagation.

but religion has a moral sphere that you don't find in science per se (although there is such a thing as secular ethics).

science won't take on-board religious dogma to explain the world, because there is no need for it. i don't see how they are dependent on each other really, except that sometimes religion uses science as a crutch to validate itself, although you never see scientists doing this with religion.

science is silent on the matter of a creator (such as you've described) because it lies outside the scope of scientific inquiry. until maybe such time as when we can probe what happened prior to the big bang (if that makes any sense, some scientists disagree it does) or gain access to the multiverse and find something that may fit the creator-type (which i think will then be subjected to all sorts of tests by scientists prior to delivering a verdict).

also, the statement that god is everywhere and in everything, an immanent rather than a transcendental deity, doesn't really explain anything. it doesn't reveal the workings of the world, its wheels and cogs, which is what scientists are getting at. it's just a fanciful idea (spinoza was fond of this notion).
Devon (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.”
–Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristijan For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-19-2016), Mohican (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

We must strive to learn the meaning of life's riddle, because death awaits unabashed.

Does science disprove the existence of "God". I don't think so.

Does religion prove the existence of "God". I don't think so.

That's it! I say we were cloned originally by an evil hermaphrodite alien scientist that soon grew jealous of this new twisted emotion called Love, or was it Lust.

Wasn't Eve made from Adams rib? Yes, a far cry from a real cloning, but perhaps part of the riddle.

Last edited by Bagit; 04-19-2016 at 06:37 PM..
Old 04-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

No one's said "42" yet. Why has no one said "42" yet?!?
Because it's a meaningless answer to the wrong question.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Because it's a meaningless answer to the wrong question.
Not according to Douglas Adams.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Douglas Adams played pretty coy with that one, giving so many answers as to make them all meaningless, too.

Kind of like the Beatles, with their various meanings behind different songs.

I think it's been said here, before, that once an author publishes, it doesn't matter what they had in mind when they wrote it, the readers (or listeners) are going to ascribe their own meaning to it, and if you're lucky, enough people can, using their made-up meaning, make a personal connection to your work, to make you popular (as an aside to Devon: I'm working on those commas).
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-21-2016)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table