WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

What subjects are missing from school ?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18
Default What subjects are missing from school ?

??

Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

Horsemanship
shooting skills
ethics

"To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth-
This was the ancient law of youth.
Old times are past, old days done;
But the law runs true,
O little son!"

Herodotus -- modernized poem by Charles T. Davis

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 871

Business administration

Skilled trades

Art

Music

Physical education
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

I forgot to ask Kristijan, is this classes prior to college?
Or both?

Heinlein had an opinion on the topic
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
I haven't written a sonnet, planned an invasion nor have I died gallantly.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

[QUOTE=Mohican;720464]I forgot to ask Kristijan, is this classes prior to college?
Or both?
Both

"Specialization is for insects".Hahaha
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Horsemanship would be way cool!

Ethics. Yes. Kids NEED a class in that. Seriously. Especially work ethics.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Binx B

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Ethics. Yes. Kids NEED a class in that. Seriously. Especially work ethics.
Possibly. But I think the seeds for certain values and ways of behaving are planted at home in early childhood. At the age they're likely to teach some kind of ethics class, it would likely be too little, too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

At the age they're likely to teach some kind of ethics class, it would likely be too little, too late.
You could very well be right. *heavy sigh*

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Binx B

Uhrg. The editor in me read that back and hated that I used "likely" twice in the same sentence.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Eh. *shrug* It's casual speech (kinda. You're typing, not really speaking). There's some allowable leeway there.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Binx B

Don't worry. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
Possibly. But I think the seeds for certain values and ways of behaving are planted at home in early childhood. At the age they're likely to teach some kind of ethics class, it would likely be too little, too late.
If children that don't have the teaching (ethics) at home are exposed to it in Junior High or High school (ethics) it catches a good deal of those that never would get it otherwise.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Binx B

By around 9 or 10, kids begin really begin to understand the golden rule, depending on what they've been exposed to. While they show empathy, prior that, a child's ideas about of right and wrong are more based on the fear of being punished.

So I think you might be able to teach older kids how to make better choices based on presenting different scenarios etc., but I think there has to be some foundation for it.

In junior high or high school, it probably couldn't hurt, but to really catch the kids who need it due to lack of consistent parenting or exposure to good role models, I think you'd have to start much earlier.

Realistically, when it comes to getting through to kids about ethical behavior, I think it mostly happens in teachable moments where real feelings and consequences are involved. It's probably not something you can recreate in the classroom.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-12-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Horsemanship
shooting skills
Not much call for those outside the wild west, is there?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Binx B

Did you know that guns were banned in many towns in the "wild west?"
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Damn. "Subject" control and the NWO go that far back? I need to start digging much deeper than I thought...

Speaking of "control", I think there should be a credit for learning the unbiased truth of history.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagit For This Useful Post:
Kristijan (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

Did you know that guns were banned in some towns in the "wild west?"
Yes, I know that. Actually - most of what you are referring to is open carrying of pistols. Very few people in that era would give up a rifle.

Northfield, Mn was a very typical town of it's day.....

And a lot of the same things happened in the same time frame in the "settled east" and in The Mountain South. I'd say the Mountain South was as wild as the "wild west" and stayed wilder longer.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Binx B

I figured you knew, but I was guessing wyf didn't.

Regardless, we know that some folks thought it might be a good idea to take people's guns away so they wouldn't all shoot each other. Maybe they were on to something.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

Maybe they had the right idea.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Binx B

I grew up with guns. They're good clean family fun.

I remember for a treat, my dad would drive us out to land his friend owned, and my brothers and I and sometimes a friend or two would run around the woods indiscriminately shooting at things with our .22's while my dad sat in a lawn chair under a tree reading a novel and drinking beer.

Meanwhile, my mom and sisters would have an exceedingly rare afternoon of peace and quite. Fortunately, no one was killed and a good time was had by all.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 18

[QUOTE=Binx B;720749]I grew up with guns. They're good clean family fun.

I remember for a treat, my dad would drive us out to land his friend owned, and my brothers and I and sometimes a friend or two would run around the woods indiscriminately shooting at things with our .22's while my dad sat in a lawn chair under a tree reading a novel and drinking beer.

Meanwhile, my mom and sisters would have an exceedingly rare afternoon of peace and quite. Fortunately, no one was killed and a good time was had by all.[/QUOTE

Wow...It sounds unbelievable and scary....
Now I am trying to figure out What a gun can give you(a person) what benefits...? Maybe
shooting from early age brings confidence to a person more vividly...or enhances concentration...Just owning a gun brings confidence...what else?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:34 AM
Binx B

Heh. There was nothing scary about it. What we did is called plinking, which is target shooting using whatever is on hand.

We enjoyed being outdoors and with each other. We all knew how to operate a gun safely and what you do when you're around guns.

It had as much to do with building confidence as riding a bicycle or playing basketball in the driveway, and it was about as dangerous. We did it because it was fun.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

I figured you knew, but I was guessing wyf didn't.

Regardless, we know that some folks thought it might be a good idea to take people's guns away so they wouldn't all shoot each other. Maybe they were on to something.
You really have to examine the Where of the villages and cities that had the no handgun policies to understand. Some of it was to to lower shootings and some of it wasn't. Just some years prior to that a watershed moment in 'Murrican history happened that led to much of the drive to go west.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Binx B

I believe a lot of the towns were at the end of cattle drives that were periodically inundated with cowboys who had money to spend and were ready to party down. Lots of booze and limited self-control. Probably best to have them check their guns when they rode into town.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

Yes, end of drive towns, many in Kansas, and Kansas a Union state, and of course Texas went Confederate.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Binx B

There was a popular bumper sticker in those days, "If we outlaws guns, outlaws won't have guns."
Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

I've never seen that particular bumper sticker

I have seen

When Guns are Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Guns!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

There was a popular bumper sticker in those days, "If we outlaws guns, outlaws won't have guns."
Where is the bumper on a Connestoga or on a Chuckwagon?

Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Binx B

You know I'm joking, don't you?

Just checking.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 654

You know I'm joking, don't you?

Just checking.
Did chuck wagons have bumpers?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table