WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Do we want to make Writer's Beat Great Again?

View Poll Results: Can We and Do We want to Make Writer's Beat Great Again?
Let's come up with a plan and move forward! 4 57.14%
Wait and see what CrowdGather does with the forum. 0 0%
Let it run whatever course it has. Let some answer there own posts forever. 1 14.29%
It's dead. Will the last person to leave the Intellectual table turn off the lights? 2 28.57%
Let CrowdGather know that it was a good ride, but they can turn it off! 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 AM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 206

Anyway, about the site --

Most of these places have hardcore members, but the life's blood is a constant influx of new people. Some won't stick around, but some will, and a few of those will become stalwarts.

The technical issues may not be a big deal to us, but it's really about curb appeal. No avatars and no main menu is a problem in that regard -- and if someone gets past that, there are the other little bugaboos.

So I'd say fixing these things is pretty vital -- although it looks like it's not going to happen.

BTW, Grace -- maybe that’s a user name – but it’s one of my very favorites. Floated it as a name for both our daughters, but I was overruled. Our next dog, maybe?

Last edited by Myers; 04-27-2017 at 04:11 AM..
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Grace, what is a gal like you doing in a place like this?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Hey CB,

Y'know, I think we fundamentally agree- but perhaps expressing the same point differently?

People tend to think of 'ego' being associated with people who rate themselves highly - yes, it can be - but it can also be the opposite. The ego is responsible for feelings of inferiority. Constantly comparing oneself to other people, and finding one's own success lacking. Needing to dominate an argument, a person or a situation to feed the ego and validate oneself by being better... an intrinsic need to come out on top. 'Loss of face' through any perceived failure is unbearable... that's all ego-driven behaviour.

You're absolutely right - a person happy in their own skin and not driven by ego doesn't need to prove themselves as being right all the time - they don't love themselves any less for being wrong.

So, Warsan's quote is saying that the ego is capable of making someone become obsessed with the ONE person who doesn't like or agree with them to the point of blinding them to the love and support they already have.

In the rich tapestry of WB threads, we have known characters who stalked other members from thread to thread waiting to leap on their every word and pick a fault. I remember JoeMatt particularly for cryptic and acidic comments and his relentless pursuit of Lon Palmer from thread to thread, always trying to undermine him. Joe was a gifted writer and generally a witty, amiable guy - but a consummate prick if anyone disagreed with him.

My point was - sometimes I don't agree with your views CB - sometimes I do. Regardless, I love having you around. You're part of the fabric of this place. I enjoy your writing. I enjoy some of the heated exchanges you get embroiled in because they're so incredibly entertaining . You have a track record for dive-bombing controversy (and causing it) and this place would be far less interesting without you. x

Grace, all I'm saying is shut down the ego and nearly all of the "self" and "me first" issues are solved. Shut down the ego and one will hardly be blind to most truths in this life. There is no need "to get back." That is child's play.

I'm not one for speaking behind one's back, but I will let my "ego" out of the bag for one moment to say this: when JM (and his despicable fan club) was trying to make life miserable for people like Tor and a few others (actually anyone whose opinion differed from his), I battled that dickhead tooth and nail while the rest of the board remained silent. Am I a knight in shining armor? Course not, I have more flaws than you could ever imagine. But, I never showed up in every thread mocking others to fuel my ego and to appease a fan club of fools. I'm not a jerkoff. And all this gifted writer and nobody's perfect stuff are absurd. Is that what a bank robber tells police after robbing 30 banks--"Man, I'm not perfect." JMs supposed to be "gifted." He cannot tell when he's busting someone's balls too much. He knew what he was doing and he played up to the jerks who encouraged and applauded him. He sounds more like an "idiot" to me. He needed a few cracks in the back of the head from his parents to straighten him out when he was growing up. Anyhow, you have a wonderful day.

The prick, who has an ego as large as Jupiter, is gifted and intelligent so give him a pass for pissing on others.

Shucks, what are you saying. Have compassion. Nobody's perfect... not him, not you, not even Trump. (Wherever JM may be, perhaps he finished his nonsense chapter and is now writing from the "core." Give him the benefit of the doubt--where there is breath, there is possibility. Who knows. Who cares. Since you brought his name up, you inspired my comments about the _________.

Last edited by Cityboy; 04-27-2017 at 10:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 AM
spshane (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 23
Default Is WritersBeat on the Way Out?

I don't see much activity on Writer's Beat recently. Is it on the way out? What's going on?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 881

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Grace, all I'm saying is shut down the ego and nearly all of the "self" and "me first" issues are solved. Shut down the ego and one will hardly be blind to most truths in this life. There is no need "to get back." That is child's play.

I'm not one for speaking behind one's back, but I will let my "ego" out of the bag for one moment to say this: when JM (and his despicable fan club) was trying to make life miserable for people like Tor and a few others (actually anyone whose opinion differed from his), I battled that dickhead tooth and nail while the rest of the board remained silent. Am I a knight in shining armor? Course not, I have more flaws than you could ever imagine. But, I never showed up in every thread mocking others to fuel my ego and to appease a fan club of fools. I'm not a jerkoff. And all this gifted writer and nobody's perfect stuff are absurd. Is that what a bank robber tells police after robbing 30 banks--"Man, I'm not perfect." JMs supposed to be "gifted." He cannot tell when he's busting someone's balls too much. He knew what he was doing and he played up to the jerks who encouraged and applauded him. He sounds more like an "idiot" to me. He needed a few cracks in the back of the head from his parents to straighten him out when he was growing up. Anyhow, you have a wonderful day.

The prick, who has an ego as large as Jupiter, is gifted and intelligent so give him a pass for pissing on others.

Shucks, what are you saying. Have compassion. Nobody's perfect... not him, not you, not even Trump. (Wherever JM may be, perhaps he finished his nonsense chapter and is now writing from the "core." Give him the benefit of the doubt--where there is breath, there is possibility. Who knows. Who cares. Since you brought his name up, you inspired my comments about the _________.
Hey CB,

No, I never mentioned compassion.

No, I never offered any "free passes for pissing on people"

I never made any suggestions about how you should feel

What was I saying? I was saying I liked having you around. x
Old 04-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
I don't see much activity on Writer's Beat recently. Is it on the way out? What's going on?
Hi Spshane,

If you have a quick look on thenotice board, there's a thread there that explains the technical issues with the site, and subsequent drop in usage.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Hey CB,

No, I never mentioned compassion.

No, I never offered any "free passes for pissing on people"

I never made any suggestions about how you should feel

What was I saying? I was saying I liked having you around. x
I like you too Grace. I sincerely believe you add a touch of class to this place, class which it desperately needs.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

I like you too Grace. I sincerely believe you add a touch of class to this place, class which it desperately needs.
It's just my English accent fooling you CB - but sincere thanks for a lovely compliment. x
Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Yeah, you've convinced me cityboy. Screw JM and his pretty wife and all his personal demons. Condemnation should be swift and unanimous! After all, Tor was just a nice man trying to tell his story, right?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:59 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Wasn't my intention to convince you or anyone else. I was merely following up on a name Grace injected into thread. I absolutely agree "nobody's perfect." However, I would use the comment in this context: "He made a mistake; nobody's perfect." I wouldn't use it to describe a serial stalker who would constantly harass anyone with whom he disagreed. I believe that's stretching "nobody's perfect" a little too far.

You the guy who called him a prick. Don't play altar boy now. Since you mentioned Tor, all I can tell you about him is that "yes" he wrote stories, but he wasn't some jerkoff who showed up in other people's threads to belittle or mock them. So, in my book, he's fine. You are too. But, you should leave the guy's wife out of this. Not nice.

Last edited by Cityboy; 04-28-2017 at 06:09 AM..
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Seems like a lot of digging up old bones for no good reason.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Just contributing to keep the site alive by recalling fond memories.

Last edited by Cityboy; 04-28-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

My best memories of the Beat are mostly of Flea (or Fleamailman, for the uninitiated). I don't know Flea in any other capacity than as a forum goblin - but for a long time, he was the person that kept me company through long, sleepless nights. He was the one who encouraged me to write, and took delight in my strange and uncensored ramblings. It gave me enormous comfort to have him to talk to just through posts on his thread.

I love WB because I can connect with someone in Arizona or Florida, when i'm i'm wandering the floors in the early hours, and staring out at the pitch black of rural England. I like the company and the friendships.

CB, if you want to thunder away on the keys for five minutes and give me snapshots of your world, or pass the time of day, you can always come and dance with me on the editing thread. No critique, no style, no guile - just little notes stuck to a fridge door. x
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 339

Hi Prod,

So nice to see your name around the place. x
And yours, too, Grace. I think the first place I came across you was flea's thread, and I was struck by the quality of your work.

... but then he gradually turned into Jack Nicholson from 'The Shining'.
Yeah -- what was up with that? Joe could get bristly on occasion, but was generally pretty civil, and he was a good writer and critic. When I came back to WB (as Prodigalson) to find he'd gotten the boot, I was surprised, until I went back over his posts. Seems like, once JustcallmeEd got banned for life, Joe's veneer of civility fell apart, and he seemed to revel in his viciousness.

Shelley, you could make a girl feel dirty just by complimenting her.

Just contributing to keep the site alive by recalling fond memories.
Speaking of fond memories, did the Cityboy moniker come from that spirited exchange with JustcallmeEd a couple of years back? I remember he called you cityboy.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

Speaking of fond memories, did the Cityboy moniker come from that spirited exchange with JustcallmeEd a couple of years back? I remember he called you cityboy.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I remember that
Old 05-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 339

Speaking of fond memories, did the Cityboy moniker come from that spirited exchange with JustcallmeEd a couple of years back? I remember he called you cityboy.
Ah, I remember that[/QUOTE]

JustcallmeEd was surprised he didn't get the boot just for that.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Ah, I remember that[/QUOTE]

Grace, you want to know where the name came from? I'll tell you. Originally, I posted under Shelley. The name Shelley belonged to a gal I had known who committed suicide. Arguing with people, I felt I wasn't honoring her name and tainting it. So I changed it to CB.

Spirited exchange, you say? What I see arguing and name-calling as merely nonsense and waste of energy and time. Little boy and little girl stuff. In my old neighborhood, do you know what they say about people who call other's nasty names? They say, "It takes one to know one." And, I say truer words never spoken.

And that whole crew headed MikeC had the moderators wrapped around its fingers. I had gotten booted so many times I felt like a yo-yo. Not blaming anyone for that. Said some stupid stuff myself. But, I didn't change my name because I wanted to "sneak" back into this place. Oh no, God forbid.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-01-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

Actually it was Prod asking - and the question was what made you choose the name Cityboy? We both remember you being called that in a heated exchange - is that how you chose the name CB?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Oh, I didn't see the post. I don't go nosing around. He once called millions of New Yorkers assholes. Nothing to learn by reading crap. Is there? But, what I did find charming about this place. Had I referred to millions of Californians as assholes (which would have been absolutely a dumb remark), a swarm of intellectuals would have come at me from all sides. So, you see Grace, it's not so bad being alone at one end of the rifle. And to set the record straight, I never went to a moderator to report any person regardless of what was said about me. And a lot of nasty stuff was said. Naturally, all untrue. I wouldn't stoop that low to call people out. But as Myers said (and it's a brilliant line which I like). "Why dig up old bones?" when the dog is long dead.

Generally speaking, throwing cheap shots at others is a mark of immaturity. What's to gain? Nothing but ego food. Guess we might agree about something.

Just wrap this up for you, Grace. The forum needs life, life in the form of creative writing, ideas, and discussions. What it doesn't need is more of the past: the same old, same old "dead end" arguments which are mainly fueled by overinflated egos. Cheers.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-01-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Yeah... those fake 'intellectuals' can be a pain in the ass.

I got a degree in intellectualism at the university of James Joyce, Robert Heinlein, and Douglas Adams. So, unlike these posers, man, I'm legit.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

Oh, I didn't see the post. I don't go nosing around. He once called millions of New Yorkers assholes. Nothing to learn by reading crap. Is there? But, what I did find charming about this place. Had I referred to millions of Californians as assholes (which would have been absolutely a dumb remark), a swarm of intellectuals would have come at me from all sides. So, you see Grace, it's not so bad being alone at one end of the rifle. And to set the record straight, I never went to a moderator to report any person regardless of what was said about me. And a lot of nasty stuff was said. Naturally, all untrue. I wouldn't stoop that low to call people out. But as Myers said (and it's a brilliant line which I like). "Why dig up old bones?" when the dog is long dead.

Generally speaking, throwing cheap shots at others is a mark of immaturity. What's to gain? Nothing but ego food. Guess we might agree about something.

Just wrap this up for you, Grace. The forum needs life, life in the form of creative writing, ideas, and discussions. What it doesn't need is more of the past: the same old, same old "dead end" arguments which are mainly fueled by overinflated egos. Cheers.
I don't know what you think you're "wrapping up for me" CB - there's gotta be more than 180 words here in response to...what?

I didn't address you CB - I answered Prod's post with the single comment: "I remember that".

I clarified I hadn't addressed you - the question was being asked by Prod - why are you labelling your comments with my name?

Glad you "guess we might agree on something".

Not the faintest idea what you think we're disagreeing over?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

My best memories of the Beat are mostly of Flea (or Fleamailman, for the uninitiated). I don't know Flea in any other capacity than as a forum goblin - but for a long time, he was the person that kept me company through long, sleepless nights. He was the one who encouraged me to write, and took delight in my strange and uncensored ramblings. It gave me enormous comfort to have him to talk to just through posts on his thread.

I love WB because I can connect with someone in Arizona or Florida, when i'm i'm wandering the floors in the early hours, and staring out at the pitch black of rural England. I like the company and the friendships.

CB, if you want to thunder away on the keys for five minutes and give me snapshots of your world, or pass the time of day, you can always come and dance with me on the editing thread. No critique, no style, no guile - just little notes stuck to a fridge door. x
CB, where are you finding offence?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

CB, where are you finding offence?

There's a little hole... you know... down there...

It's a dirty place, but... only if you already have a 'dirty' mind.

Yeah, I know I'm using ellipses as pauses. But sometimes they are so satisfying.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 881

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
There's a little hole... you know... down there...

It's a dirty place, but... only if you already have a 'dirty' mind.

Yeah, I know I'm using ellipses as pauses. But sometimes they are so satisfying.

You dropped a polo mint BP?

No..I probably wouldn't put my lipses anywhere near it - it's dirty.

Pick it up with one of your pawses and blow on it first.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 05-01-2017 at 11:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 339

The bear joke would be impossible to tell without using ellipses as pauses. You know -- the one where the bear walks into a bar and orders a bourbon......and coke.

"Why the big pause?" asks the bartender, and the bear replies, "I dunno. I was born with them."

I'll quit now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (05-02-2017), Myers (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Unlike the bear, I prefer to use em dashes -- but then the joke wouldn't work.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 676

I quite like the endless arguments. In a way I think they are productive, whilst it's rare you ever change people's minds opposing views I think help you refine and define your own.

I'd even go so far to say that the absence of heated debate on WB may be correlated with its general decline. The vibrant forums I've visited are usually peppered with diatribe.

Anyways, compelled to throw in shit joke...

My girlfriend bet me I couldn't make a car out of spaghetti...

She couldn't believe it when I drove pasta.

So bad
Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

As a long standing member that over the past several years has come and gone, the last time an ordered exile for my supposed bad behavior, I have seen a lot of changes around this place.

When the old IT thread was in its heyday the debates were spirited and often resulting in some spectacular flame wars of which I readily admit I was involved.

We had some drunk uncles back then. There was Shelly the insane clown and Gary who was just right of Hitler. Great fun with those two.

We had an African american fellow that stayed just long enough to post a rant calling us racists and accusing us of keeping his race down. When no one took the bait he disappeared into the ether. Probably drove off in a white Bronco.

The powers that were back in the good old days kept telling us that our bad behavior on the IT thread was scaring off new members and some of the regulars were upset with us hooligans. Poor things.

So in the end the IT was closed. That crush of new members never materialized and little by little the doldrums set in.

Now when I was a kid we had annual family reunion in late summer. Lots of happy smiling faces, good food, games of all sorts and everyone catching up on the latest family news and gossip.

The very lifeblood of these reunions was Uncle Bud. We didn't know it at the time but that drunk bastard was the glue that held it all together.

Nowadays when we cluster in a small group someone always brings up uncle Bud. He passed decades ago but his memory lives on.

We laugh at the time he grabbed two handfuls of Aunt Faye's fat ass and hollered, "squeal piggy!" The fight was on. He and uncle Tim had a knock down drag out that ended in the neighbors vegetable garden whereupon uncle Tim brained uncle Bud with a huge fucking watermelon. Free watermelon for the kids.

He once stumbled over to the fire pit with a beer in one hand and his dick in the other pissing on the fire just as we were getting ready to roast marshmellows in said pit. The women were screaming, the kids were laughing and the men folk hauled uncle Bud in the house to sleep it off in the bathtub.

I could on and on about uncle Bud and his off the wall antics but the simple point is that for all his lunacy he was family and no one banished him from the kingdom. He was one of us, just like Shelly and others that were tossed aside for not being what others thought they should be..

But those are the laws and as we all know the legal system is not an ethical arena. It's adversarial by its very nature.

Once the thread was closed and the uncle Buds had been eliminated from our midst peace reigned supreme. Flowers bloomed and birds sang and boredom ensued.

The pursuit of happiness does not always involve hearts and flowers. Sometimes it involves a good old fashioned knock down drag out full of piss and vinegar and as much vulgarity as the situation demands. It's life. It's visceral. It's real.

Years back I had a girlfriend that drank a bit, we both did. And when under the influence she could be the horniest bitch on earth or the meanest. I never knew for sure which one I was getting into bed with or laying over the kitchen table but by god I miss that nut job.

It is not the meat and potatoes that make the meal tasty. It's the spice.

Last edited by Gaines; 05-02-2017 at 03:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaines For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (05-14-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Yep, this ^^^

It's what we're here for. Otherwise, I have serious shit to do.

I once had a disagreement with the much maligned (of late) JoeMatt. I said any writing of any kind was still practice for writing. He disagreed. But I still think trying to convince some asshole how wrong he is (convince both him/her and the readers following) is good practice for fiction. If nothing else, it helps with developing characters who are not at all like yourself but still feel real to others.

...and, aw fuck! It's just damn fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Gaines (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Yeah, it can be fun.

And writing something is probably better than not writing at all.

But if you're talking about time management, I kind of think the best way to practice writing fiction is to write fiction.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table