WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind

Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Believe it or not, I'm just trying to make you a better human. It's a win-win.

Look, you've already managed to convince Myers to believe in God.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Religious belief is not required to live a moral, meaningful and rewarding life, so why do people bother?

That's the main question that jumps out at me during these discussions.

My other questions are in regard to this 'truth' which is often bandied about and searched for high and low. What truth? The truth about what? It's all very vague and the only value in finding it, I think, is for the people who claim it supports their claims, is to say, 'told you so!'

It's all fun and games for those interested, I suppose.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Believe it or not, I'm just trying to make you a better human. It's a win-win.

Look, you've already managed to convince Myers to believe in God.
I'm not in the convincing business. Before long, you'll see for yourself. But just don't make plans for a long sleep because you're not going to get any.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:31 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by SteveHarrison View Post
Religious belief is not required to live a moral, meaningful and rewarding life, so why do people bother?

That's the main question that jumps out at me during these discussions.

My other questions are in regard to this 'truth' which is often bandied about and searched for high and low. What truth? The truth about what? It's all very vague and the only value in finding it, I think, is for the people who claim it supports their claims, is to say, 'told you so!'

It's all fun and games for those interested, I suppose.
Truth that God exists. Why live a life built upon misdirection or lies?
Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Yeah, but actually read the thread, all the people you are paying out in this forum as not loving you why don't you actually read what they stated in response to the Sunday School thread/s.

Anyway here is my defence,

In defence of Ignatius PickleBottom - By Ignatius PickleBottom
Or, CityBoy does not read what poor old PickleBottom takes the time to type showing that CityBoy does not love or care about poor old PickleBottom

Stop the rape. Expand Coverage of the Age of Consent Laws.

"I feel a comment I made may have inadvertently led to this, but the vibe of the preceding posts man! Ergo, why only Sunday School? Why not all other indoctrination where the teaching has no basis in reality?"

"Yes but in a way what is happening is you are curing one of multiple manifestations of a few causes. Similarly, people years from now can ban images and slogans of Trump without ensuring a person like Trump (for example, Clinton) cannot be voted for again. Banning Sunday School is doing something similar, i.e. it will not "cure" irrational belief, greed, group mentality, greed, bullying, greed etc

Similarly cutting out one tumour will not stop a malignant cancer.

But, unlike cancer, the problem is not too difficult to solve..."

"Apparently Richard Dawkins has pondered on the evils of Harry Potter, I hope New Atheists aren't going to start attending AHarry Potter conferences to celebrate their lack of belief in witchcraft.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3255...d-Dawkins.html"

"Would you agree that where any child is conditioned to;
-respond to a statement as fact that has no basis in reality
-unconditionally hold a statement as true
that the child is being indoctrinated?

If you answer no, I fail to understand how Sunday School is not indoctrination, if you answer yes then you automatically include a lot of what you would state to be education in the same basket.

Secondarily to this I believe you will agree with the statement, "God does not exist" so it is important to realise why religion does exist. And not just religion, the things that most likely piss you off about religion are the same effects that can be found in non-religious institutions - that are also taught to children."

"Atheists aren't necessarily people against religion, but anti-theists and New Atheists on the other hand...

Come on, wrc, be nice.
Now New Atheists, now there is a religi... err a group of people who religiously attend conferences, attend lectures, have group discussions, have forum discussions, attend rallies, create a church, read the same books, watch the same YouTube channels, have a similar ideology, have a symbol, etc all about their lack of belief in a God. Kind of like if their hobby were non-stamp collecting. That's exactly how I would picture non-stamp collectors behaving.

Ah yes, New Atheism, don't get me started on New Atheism, I'll be like a dog without a bone."

"I wouldn't try and get into the head of a New Atheist, maybe they are scared that they might inadvertently state something that is irrational and therefore attend conferences to be taught what they are and are not allowed to believe in?

Personally I wouldn't distinguish Sunday School from any other kind of conditioning to believe in phenomena that has no basis in physical reality, commercials, compound interest, the law, the stock exchange, democracy etc and since we are not allowed agency we are similar to the children in Sunday School, ergo state "Jesus loves you" or be whipped."

"I've never met or know of a New Atheist either, they are an example of supernatural phenomena, if any person wants to give a strong atheist evidence of the supernatural they just need to state "New Atheist". I disagree that there is nothing on the net, there is evidence for the phenomena all over the place, but no perpetrators - ghosts maybe?"

"I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm veering off topic, at least on this occasion, I'm providing a new perspective, why do New Atheists, i.e. the ethereal, go to conferences on their lack of belief? Do non-stamp collectors do the same? This is probably the complete opposite of the spectrum to parents sending their children to Sunday School yet there seems to be the same result?

Probably for a few reasons, 1) so people know who I'm responding to, 2) some people, have edited or deleted the posts I have responded to in the past rendering my responses... err... non-responsive"

"Anywho, speaking of going off topic, consider the following parable (that won't be found in The Bible)

Religion should be like sex; not in public and between consenting adults"

Challenge for the Luddites of the Sunday School thread

"Based on your statement you are giving an example of something I believe you will miss through banning indoctrination - aspects of the current schooling of children"

Sunday School is Mental Rape to Children

"It is wrong to state that you are wrong and therefore you are right"

"I never said it was wrong to do so"

Who said anything about not loving. You are the one who accused me of spreading falsehoods. You once asked me "what benefit is in it for you?" A statement which seemed odd because it's rather selfish. What propaganda am I spreading? By seeing or hearing spirits isn't propaganda. People in every culture almost at every time since records have been kept have been doing that. Today's technology has captured voices and images of spirits. If you deny these facts, then that is only because you don't want to hear about them, not because the evidence isn't there. That's not propaganda but instead denial. But, that's okay. I can understand the upheaval messing with one's beliefs causes. There will always be a reason--hearing voices, something wrong with ears. Seeing apparitions, something wrong with eyes. Or something wrong with mind. You would think the logical reaction would be "maybe there is something there." But such a stern defense. Oh, well, it's beyond my comprehension. Just let it rest, I guess. But falsehoods and propanganda--you got the wrong guy Pickles.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-21-2016 at 05:49 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Truth that God exists. Why live a life built upon misdirection or lies?
My sentiments exactly.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:20 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 365

Who said anything about not loving. You are the one who accused me of spreading falsehoods. You once asked me "what benefit is in it for you?" A statement which seemed odd because it's rather selfish. What propaganda am I spreading? By seeing or hearing spirits isn't propaganda. People in every culture almost at every time since records have been kept have been doing that. Today's technology has captured voices and images of spirits. If you deny these facts, then that is only because you don't want to hear about them, not because the evidence isn't there. That's not propaganda but instead denial. But, that's okay. I can understand the upheaval messing with one's beliefs causes. There will always be a reason--hearing voices, something wrong with ears. Seeing apparitions, something wrong with eyes. Or something wrong with mind. You would think the logical reaction would be "maybe there is something there." But such a stern defense. Oh, well, it's beyond my comprehension. Just let it rest, I guess. But falsehoods and propanganda--you got the wrong guy Pickles.
Only because you are being false, that's why I said you were being false. Now we're getting to the truth, but we've both seen this movie before, I have to trust you that spirits exist even though I cannot nor ever able to interact with them. How do I benefit from this? What if there is a spirit on the sidewalk in front of me and I accidentally step on it, should I randomly jump every now and then?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Pickle, the notion that a gifted psychic or a medium is a kook or a schizophrenia is absurd. If you buy into that nonsense than you are the one being fed falsehoods and propaganda. Don't trust anybody except your mother and special relatives and friends! I explained in previous posts how to contact spirits if you are willing to invest the time. Why are you twisting my words?

There's no stepping on spirits. You may go through them, but if you're indoors you'll know from a shift in temperature. Usually a room gets much colder whenever a presence is in it. If you are able to jump, well then, congratulations. You must be in good shape. Take it or leave it or make whatever you want. The best experience though comes from yourself--seek and ye shall find. Otherwise, remain in the dark wondering or not wondering. But don't be a victim of other people's propaganda. See for yourself. Best way to do things.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-21-2016 at 12:38 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

Pickle, the notion that a gifted psychic or a medium is a kook or a schizophrenia is absurd. If you buy into that nonsense than you are the one being fed falsehoods and propaganda. Don't trust anybody except your mother and special relatives and friends! I explained in previous posts how to contact spirits if you are willing to invest the time. Why are you twisting my words?

There's no stepping on spirits. You may go through them, but if you're indoors you'll know from a shift in temperature. Usually a room gets much colder whenever a presence is in it. If you are able to jump, well then, congratulations. You must be in good shape. Take it or leave it or make whatever you want. The best experience though comes from yourself--seek and ye shall find. Otherwise, remain in the dark wondering or not wondering. But don't be a victim of other people's propaganda. See for yourself. Best way to do things.
So if I could lure a whole heap of them into my house I would not need to worry about paying for air conditioning?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

So if I could lure a whole heap of them into my house I would not need to worry about paying for air conditioning?
What I'm getting at is this: you may continue speaking through your butt or you may act with your head. The choice is yours if you're serious. But I suspect you're just another content follower.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Pickle, the notion that a gifted psychic or a medium is a kook or a schizophrenia is absurd.
Absolutely right. By and large those people are perfectly sane. What they do is a kind of theatre, like televangelism. They're in it for the money.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

What I'm getting at is this: you may continue speaking through your butt or you may act with your head. The choice is yours if you're serious. But I suspect you're just another content follower.
I had it on good authority that if a spirit was in the room the room gets much colder, unless they were talking shit?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Absolutely right. By and large those people are perfectly sane. What they do is a kind of theatre, like televangelism. They're in it for the money.

Is that the best you can come up with? That answer is ridiculously lame. You need to stop sleepwalking; it's 2016. You're not going to be burned at the stake.

You're the one in it for the money. When Jesus was crucified, he had no money. Neither did His disciples or the majority of His followers. Why are you spreading those lies about money. You need to look at a mirror to see who's really in it for the money.

Politicians get a bad rap, but are all crooks? Of course not. The same could be said for any field. Wherever money flows, you'll find deception. Religion is no different. Psychics, no different. There are a ton of psychics and mediums who prey on the vulnerable. But, are there honest ones? Certainly, plenty of honest ones.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-21-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

I had it on good authority that if a spirit was in the room the room gets much colder, unless they were talking shit?
Ridicule is a sign of surrender.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:00 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

Ridicule is a sign of surrender.
Oh no I'm not kidding, I was told that if a spirit appears in the room it becomes colder - does that sound like a joke to you?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 02:11 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 142

There is a school of thought that spirits use heat energy in the atmosphere to manifest, causing a drop in temperature. It's a well documented phenomenon.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

You're the one in it for the money. When Jesus was crucified, he had no money. Neither did His disciples or the majority of His followers. Why are you spreading those lies about money. You need to look at a mirror to see who's really in it for the money.
Trolling too, eh?
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
There is a school of thought that spirits use heat energy in the atmosphere to manifest, causing a drop in temperature. It's a well documented phenomenon.
Therefore, I am confused, what is wrong with my statement, "So if I could lure a whole heap of them into my house I would not need to worry about paying for air conditioning?"
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 206

Therefore, I am confused, what is wrong with my statement, "So if I could lure a whole heap of them into my house I would not need to worry about paying for air conditioning?"
So how do you lure them -- free wi-fi and a complimentary breakfast buffet?
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 03:45 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

You're the one in it for the money. When Jesus was crucified, he had no money.

Yes, but Jesus could produce wine and fish and bread from thin air. If I could do that, I'd not worry about money either.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

But wouldn't all that free wine and all you can eat fish and bread get old pretty fast?
Old 11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
But wouldn't all that free wine and all you can eat fish and bread get old pretty fast?

Ah, that's because, Myers my friend, you are being small minded with this question. Just think of it: if he can make wine and bread and fish, don't you think he could also make steak, lobster, and garlic bread? Beer, vodka, and yes... strippers. Okay, maybe he would draw the line at strippers, but I'm sure there'd be plenty of hot single young women hanging around with those kinds of benefits.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Didn't know they had Steak and Ale restaurants in Nazareth.

And could Jesus even eat lobster?
Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

So how do you lure them -- free wi-fi and a complimentary breakfast buffet?
Good question, I had already thought of this, I'll stand in a room and close my eyes, life one arm and state, "ok I'm picking up something here, Tanya, Toni, Thomas, Thomas! And he is an uncle, brother, grandfather, gardener!

I heard this works
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

Didn't know they had Steak and Ale restaurants in Nazareth.

And could Jesus even eat lobster?

Do you think Jesus is limited in time and space? No, no, no, he can make anything that anybody in any time would want.

He pretty much denounced his Jewishness when he became God, so yeah, he can eat lobster.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Good question, I had already thought of this, I'll stand in a room and close my eyes, life one arm and state, "ok I'm picking up something here, Tanya, Toni, Thomas, Thomas! And he is an uncle, brother, grandfather, gardener!

I heard this works
All I know is that when I'm dead, I'm not crossing back over to help anyone pay for thier supernatural AC unless there's something in it for me.

Last edited by Myers; 11-21-2016 at 05:21 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (11-21-2016), PickleBottom (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Do you think Jesus is limited in time and space? No, no, no, he can make anything that anybody in any time would want.

He pretty much denounced his Jewishness when he became God, so yeah, he can eat lobster.
I guess you're right. And the epitome of high-class living for any working stiff, fisherman, carpenters and so on, is steak and lobster. What would you expect Jesus Christ to conjure up -- foie gras and a Sauterne?

Last edited by Myers; 11-21-2016 at 05:19 PM..
brianpatrick (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM
PickleBottom (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 365

All I know is that when I'm dead, I'm not crossing back over to help anyone pay for thier supernatural AC unless there's something in it for me.
You'll have to hope the government does not find out, or they will claim dead people still have compounding debts that the spirit world are required to pay off. The government will then charge people to utilize this free energy.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 206

You'll have to hope the government does not find out, or they will claim dead people still have compounding debts that the spirit world are required to pay off. The government will then charge people to utilize this free energy.
I don't know about that. I got a tax break for installing an energy efficient heating and ac unit. You don't think dead people cooling would qualify?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:52 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 741

I don't know about that. I got a tax break for installing an energy efficient heating and ac unit. You don't think dead people cooling would qualify?

We might have to wait for 'spirit solar' before the gubment finally acknowledges the benefit.

Or 'spirit fracking' that has promise.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table