WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

A scanner to test preferences!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30
Default A scanner to test preferences!

I can't seem to figure put how to get my stories configuration changed to be compatable with this primitive interface! I'm thinking of writing a story on this inferrior interface just to give you all an idea of my content, SPaG aside. You know the first time I saw the term 'SPaG I thought someone had abbreviated that Chinese spaghetti, poorly. Anyway. Instead of that... Or maybe I'll do that, too. It's why I've incorporated my writing style into my posts and made this thread to give you an idea of my personality, so you can take that into account, when reading my critiques!

Who are your favorite authors, in what genres?

Childrens catafories;
Sci-fi; The unknown author of the Mad Science books, the author of The Magic School Bus. All of whom I was too young at the time to remember their names well.

Fantasy; Tony Abbott, J.K. Rowling C.A. Hopka Greg Farshty, Diane Duane.

Mystery; Franklyn W. Dixon, Peter Lerengus, Gordon Korman and the author of A to Z mysteries whose name I also forget.

Adult's catagories;
Sci-fi; Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman, Michle Piller, Jerri Taylor, Isaac Eismanov(Writer of Probe), and Donald P. Bellisario.

Fantasy; J.K. Rowling, Diane Duane, Maddeline Le'Engle (although her works are sci-fi as well and sold in children's sections of bookstores).

Mystery; Donald P. Bellisario, Quinn Martin, Agatha Christie.

I ordinarily would attache a poll, or at leaat attempt to, again. But! With over six million or so authors that would be counter productive.

Post Script.

Producers of media stories count, as I am a screenwriter as much as novel writer. And the HighCommand still hasn't done anything about adding a pole sticking plot of Earth to this site, so it probably would've fallen over, abyway. Enjoy!

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

I intended to base my Terran literature reading list on this thread. Unfortunately no one seems to be aware it's here. Hopefully this post will remedy that.

Professor Orslof Haiglen.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Jolly (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 38

Read Ira Levin's "This Perfect Day" when I was in junior high - back in the 70s - and loved it. I still think it would make one hell of a movie.

Fiction - Wide range - Ayn Rand, Edith Wharton, John Galsworthy to current young adult stuff - Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games.

Fantasy - No favorite - but my college-age daughters were raised on J.K. Rowling so she is a dominant force in our household. Wish to God I had that kind of imagination and fortitude.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Thank you for your contribution, Jolly. Don't sell yourself short. Recognizing what you consider the ultimate goal of achievement in writing is the first step to obtaining it.

Professor Orslif Haiglen.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I got curious about the scanner test.

Favorite authors. Hmmmm.

Agatha Christie, JKRowling, James Herriot, some from my childhood that I forgot the names, Dr.Suess (for creativity he can't be beat), just to name a few.

I currently don't have a favorite. I've read some books which I thought were OK, but didn't seek out other books the author wrote. Maybe I'll find a new favorite recommended on this thread. Thanks for starting it!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Benjamin Andrew (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

My favorite authors are Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Dickens, Howard Phillips Lovecraft and Stephen Crane. To me, they exceed the highest degree in the art of the English Language. They are great writers who can paint the mental picture of a story. That is how I like to write - I'm more old fashioned, I suppose.

Last edited by Benjamin Andrew; 08-28-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 488

Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith and Edgar Rice Burroughs have to be mentioned for astonishing creativity and skill of transporting the reader to worlds on the edge of their imagination.

There are also some that walk the halls of the Beat at this very moment that have accomplished this feat in my opinion.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback