WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Guns and flags.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
if mike had said 'criminals' instead of 'people' I would have no problem with the statement
It's people with guns that kill churchgoers, cinema goers, schoolkids, college kids, co-workers...
none of the shooters were criminals - up to the point where they started blowing people away.

I doubt he can support his NRA commit with 'black and white' proof but it may have been sarcasm.
I can support it, but it was a presidential candidate, not an NRA guy:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...oting-accident

The NRA guy effectively blamed the victims, saying they might not have died if they'd have had guns.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...arolina-church

Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Legal to own, with certain provisos.

Most common is the shotgun. You have to prove you need one (ie a farmer, or somebody with a grudge against ducks). Then you have to have a report from your doctor to say you aren't a homicidal lunatic. Then police checks to show you aren't of criminal intent. Then you have to show that you have an approved gun cabinet where the gun can be locked away when not in use. Then you go before the local magistates court and if every box is ticked, they grant you a license.

Easy? No. Do we have many gun deaths? No.

Not sure about the process for hunting rifles but I assume it's similar.

Handguns you can own, but you can't take home. You need a license, and the gun stays locked up in your local gun club when not in use, and only gets used at the club shooting range. If you're a competitive shooter you need a permit to take it from one place to another.

That doesn't sound unreasonable. How expensive is a handgun? Does the restriction raise the prices?

I don't hunt, or have any guns, but I don't have a problem with hunters. I mean, yes, I do think they are dumb cunts, but I realize that's probably just my own personal bias, being a city person with a brain and a local Whole Foods market that supplies me with all the fresh meat I want. There are places where the deer population would over-run certain wooded areas if they weren't shot dead and eaten every year. I guess it's like the little ugly sucker-fish in the aquarium. Disgusting, but efficient and necessary.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:08 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

god, and I use that term only trying to blow on the embers of this rapidly decaying thread.

I was disappointed this morning when I clicked on my computer, and rush as quickly as the little electrons could move to this thread. I need my daily dose of adrenaline to push me through my other wise dreary day of cutting hay and waiting till tomorrow for it to dry so I can bale it.

I was sadly disappointed that the only additions I took slight exception to were a very small,

Max

I've tossed in a couple of hand-grenades... pretty sure I just called you a dumb cunt.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
How do they handle hunting rifles in England? Are those illegal to own?
no they are not illegal they under surveillance in other words there is a registration mark procedure one follows an to own a rifle.
I have never met someone who has a rifle so I could not tell you in detail
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
In God we trust was proclaimed the U.S. Motto in 1956, not in 1776. It's not an amendment.
any reasons why it is a motto? and why 1956 in particular?
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

Communism and its declaration of atheism. Then again, I wasn't there but that's what circles around the water cooler
Nacia (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

That doesn't sound unreasonable. How expensive is a handgun? Does the restriction raise the prices?

[/QUOTE]

And are there ever any illegal sales noted in the news?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
And are there ever any illegal sales noted in the news?

They don't make good sound bites. Takes too much yadda yadda explanation... the dumb cunts would tune out before the end of the broadcast, thus reducing advertising revenue.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Just saw a Fox news guy throw an ax at a target. The ax went over the target and cut the wrist of a fella who was drum practicing with his mates on the other side.

Now I'm not suggesting we should ban ax throwing but a closer look at the qualifications of those throwing them might be in order.

Crap! Off topic again!

Aw, c'mon - not the flagpole!

I'm still sore from the last time.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fox-news-pr...77504-Jun2015/

It would appear that sometimes the guy who tells ya the news is the guy makin' it up on the fly.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:33 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

http://www.thejournal.ie/fox-news-pr...77504-Jun2015/

It would appear that sometimes the guy who tells ya the news is the guy makin' it up on the fly.

Anyway you slice it, that story is unrelated and totally irrelevant to the discussion. Just fluff and mirrors. Distract and divide. Works on the idiots, which is most of us.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Anyway you slice it, that story is unrelated and totally irrelevant to the discussion. Just fluff and mirrors. Distract and divide. Works on the idiots, which is most of us.

Arizona humor - dry enough to parch the throat of a Gila monster.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I can support it, but it was a presidential candidate, not an NRA guy:

that was Mit Romney and he and his political machine was quick to say he mis-spoke.

and I don't mind being called a dumb-cunt as long as I can keep my gun.

Eisenhower, put the in god we trust into our society, and I think it was all about the godless communism.

we had also just come out of five years (?) out of ten in hot war (2 in wwII and then 3 ,I think, in Korea).

so I guess the god fearing people had sort of taken over sort of like the probation acts that were voted in while the men were away during the first world war.

it's awful hot outside but I'm up for a game of waffle ball if ben wa is ready.

Max

Old 06-23-2015, 02:24 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm thinking anyone who eats commercially raised and processed meat probably shouldn't call a hunter a dumb cunt -- if the hunter eats what he kills. Hunting is a lot more humane -- and at least the animal has a chance.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 06-23-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I agree, but you knew I would, that the animal has a chance more than a cow raised for food that just stands in line to get a sledge hammer between the eyes.

although I can't say which it is more humane. The hunted animal, I think, knows if it loses the game of cat and mouse it's going to die, the cow doesn't have a clue.

do you think wild animals have some sense of death, sometimes after a kill, deer especially, it seem like some invisible thing is watching - wondering what just happened and what to do next.

I just got a picture in my mind of a Grimm Reaper deer with scythes for antlers.

and no, that is not conscience it's just strange.

Max
Old 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

It's not so much how the animal is killed -- that's only a moment compared to the lifetime of the animal. It's how they are raised, and for most commercially raised meat, the conditions for the animals are cruel, disgusting and generally deplorable.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:03 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
It's not so much how the animal is killed -- that's only a moment compared to the lifetime of the animal. It's how they are raised, and for most commercially raised meat, the conditions for the animals are cruel, disgusting and generally deplorable.

We've already opened Pandora's Box with domesticated animals. They can't and wouldn't survive in the wild, so it's hard for me to compare and contrast with say a wild deer. They are only alive to feed us. Sick when you think about it that way, but true.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:14 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

There are a few situations where the animals are well treated. It's hard to know for sure. But whether or not they could survive in the wild has nothing to do with it. My schnauzer couldn't survive in the wild and she has it pretty good. What's your point?

Last edited by JoeMatt; 06-23-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 03:27 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

There are a few situations where the animals are well treated. It's hard to know for sure. But whether or not they could survive in the wild has nothing to do with it. My schnauzer couldn't survive in the wild and she has it pretty good. What's you point?

They don't and couldn't possibly know a better life or raising (in the wild) than the one they live. Objectively I suppose you could argue it's cruel, but do the animals have any idea?

I buy expensive meat that says organically and humanely raised, but like you said, you never know how it really is.

Your dog is a pet, not food. He was breed as a companion. He may have had a job back in the day, but you aren't going to keep a beef cow in you living room until it's time to slaughter.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:41 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

If it were not for hunting wild deer wouldn't survive in the wild very well either, the demand for food would doom many to starving to death until the population again was within what nature intended.

I think some cows could survive in the wild just fine - given the same over population problems.

I'll add that if you have ever kept cows - well it no wonder that they are food. I think the only reason they haven't gone the way of the do-do is they are larger.

ok several large companies are now effectively banning the confederate flag as a sales item.

it's going to be interesting to see if the price of a confederate flag now goes up in price by 10,000 percent as predicted by the example of the banning of the shot gun example. above.

will a huge "back market", uh, ah, maybe I should say "white market", or maybe "redneck market" be created for the flag.

we'll see but I'm going to get my workers at the sweat shop to start pumping them out.

this country has so many more problem that this, sacred cow of a flag . why don't we address the problems we can fix with as much vigor as the ones that we create out of boredom or some since of person attacks.

even the church where the massacre took place is telling everyone to pray and just chill out.

Max

Last edited by max crash; 06-23-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 03:57 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

He may have had a job back in the day, but you aren't going to keep a beef cow in you living room until it's time to slaughter.
No -- but the beef cow could live in a pasture and eat grass and hang out and do what cattle do. (That's opposed to living in a tiny pen and standing in shit, probably with abscesses and all kinds of intestinal problems from eating food the animal wasn't meant to eat.)

I do eat some meat -- not too much -- and we do try to get it from humane sources. But we eat out sometimes and at friend's, so I don't have a lot of room to talk.

I know two groups of hunters -- from my wife's neck of the woods in rural Georgia -- where hunting is an important source of food. And then I have friends who hunt, and they eat the meat. I have some of it my freezer right now. I don't think any of them are dumb cunts.

My point is, if you eat meat -- I don't think you have room to call hunters dumb cunts. I think a strict vegan actually has a pretty good case for it and that includes anyone eats meat -- and they can do it without looking like hypocrites.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 06-23-2015 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 03:58 PM
sdenyer (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 87

just have to say this, "Guns and Flags" indicates a national interest, as in defending your nation, which is terribly old fashion, and obsolete. We have multi national interests now, we defend them, not the state, seat or flag of government.

More apropo would be," Logo's and Guns"

I would think

Last edited by sdenyer; 06-23-2015 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 04:01 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

The deer wouldn't survive because we killed most of their natural predators. Wolves, mountain lions, bears, etc., to make way for farmers, settlers, and ranchers. Hence the Pandora's box comment. We as humans have already altered nature so drastically, that any major reversal would result in environmental, economic, and political calamity.

IMO, this is true of most undesirable human endeavors. It's too late. We can move slowly toward incremental change, but in the long run not much will get really better until people change from the inside. We might, but it's just as likely we will exterminate ourselves.

Meanwhile, it makes for good fiction.

That's why these topics go nowhere in any kind of debate. There are no big solutions, and the little ones so far, have resulted in the equivalent of picking the fleas from the backs of the beast next to us.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

No -- but the beef cow could live in a pasture and eat grass and hang out and do what cattle do. (That's opposed to living in a tiny pen and standing in shit, probably with abscesses and all kinds of intestinal problems from eating food the animal wasn't meant to eat.)

I do eat some meat -- not too much -- and we do try to get it from humane sources. But we eat out sometimes and at friend's, so I don't have a lot of room to talk.

I know two groups of hunters -- from my wife's neck of the woods in rural Georgia -- where hunting is an important source of food. And then I have friends who hunt, and they eat the meat. I have some of it my freezer right now. I don't think any of them are dumb cunts.

My point is, if you eat meat -- I don't think you have room to call hunters dumb cunts. I think a strict vegan actually has a pretty good case for it and that includes anyone eats meat -- and they can do it without looking like hypocrites.

'Dumb cunts' was an intentional attempt at throwing a bomb into an ultimately useless discussion. Max was looking for some action. Keep up Joe. It's comedy, and this is a writers forum.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

We are all hypocrites.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

'Dumb cunts' was an intentional attempt at throwing a bomb into an ultimately useless discussion. Max was looking for some action. Keep up Joe. It's comedy, and this is a writers forum.
Naw -- I don't have to "keep up."

I'm betting you believe it on some level, or you wouldn't have tried to explain yourself so thoroughly or waited two posts to tell me that it was some kind of "bomb." You would have done it right away.

Oh well.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by sdenyer View Post
just have to say this, "Guns and Flags" indicates a national interest, as in defending your nation, which is terribly old fashion, and obsolete. We have multi national interests now, we defend them, not the state, seat or flag of government.

More apropo would be," Logo's and Guns"

I would think

There you are dear... I'm willing to go this direction (I know I don't have a choice, anyway).

I agree that patriotism is ridiculous.

Good luck with convincing the rest of the dumb cunts.

I'm still looking for a plastic gelatinous vegetable. When I find one I will post pics.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:17 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

We are all hypocrites.
Oh yeah. We're all hypocrites about SOMETHING. But a vegan isn't a hypocrite if he criticizes people who eat meat. You know as well as I do that's a lazy response -- even if it's supposed to be a "bomb."
Old 06-23-2015, 04:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Naw -- I don't have to "keep up."

I'm betting you believe it on some level, or you wouldn't have tried to explain yourself so thoroughly or waited two posts to tell me that it was some kind of "bomb." You would have done it right away.

Oh well.

I did in an earlier post. Read back a bit. I wasn't telling you in particular, but I said it just the same.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:25 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Oh yeah. We're all hypocrites about SOMETHING. But a vegan isn't a hypocrite if he criticizes people who eat meat. You know as well as I do that's a lazy response -- even if it's supposed to be a "bomb."

It's not lazy. It's true. A vegan in America still condones the death of innocent humans by extension. He/she drives a car (maybe less than some. Maybe they own a Prius), works and pays taxes, paying in to the system, supporting it in a way, and allows it to continue. All hypocrites. So much so, that the whole topic is laughable.

Hypocrite about something, is still a hypocrite. I think the word is useless.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

I've tossed in a couple of hand-grenades... pretty sure I just called you a dumb cunt.

Here...

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table