WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohican’s Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Illinois is in really, really, really bad financial shape. A Chitcago Tribune reporter suggests forced balkanization

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Tradition is not to preserve the ashes, but to pass on the fire - Gustav Mahler

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Old 06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

What passed for TInder in 1865

Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 206

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I read this and then read it between the lines and found if amusing.

Erik Erikson has now started to consider secession....

And it's not out of a love of limited government, or moving the power closer to the people, or having a truer republic.

Nope, nope, nope.

Erik wants to secede for chickenshit reasons, ie he's a chickenshit. http://theresurgent.com/lets-consider-secession/
Eric Erikson is a douchebag.

Whether or not you agree with gay marriage, he consistently tried to use statistics on the negative outcomes of single parenthood as an argument against gay marriage.

Really dishonest. Of course, his slack-jawed listeners couldn't make the distinctions.

And like most talk show hosts, he never has the guts to accept calls from people who can call him on his bullshit.

The other really annoying thing he does is laugh at all his own jokes. Really, he should listen to Limbaugh to see how it's done.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Bloody Portlandia

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...nt-city-215322

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Teddy Roosevelt reminds us about the perils of toxic media discourse ....

https://townhall.com/columnists/will...&newsletterad=

“Now, friends, of course, I do not know, as I say, anything about him (the shooter); but it is a very natural thing that weak and vicious minds should be inflamed to acts of violence by the kind of awful mendacity and abuse that have been heaped upon me for the last three months by the papers ….”

Old 07-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

It's amusing that Shit Libs in both the Democrat and Republican parties are just now embracing Federalism, like some Californians have rediscovered secession as their remedy....

https://townhall.com/columnists/bria...&newsletterad=

The idea of federalism as it applies to medical marijuana laws in the states. The self-proclaimed champions of federalism will have their commitment to the idea tested when they are called on to vote on a measure protecting federalism as part of the appropriations process this fall.
There is bipartisan support for the idea of federalism. On May 18, 2017, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) put out a press release that committed the chamber to the idea of federalism:

Federalism is not a Republican or Democrat principle, but an American principle—and one that is integral to a thriving culture and economy. But in recent years, the principle of federalism has been slowly chipped away at by an overzealous federal government.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:45 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

It's amusing that Shit Libs in both the Democrat and Republican parties are just now embracing Federalism, like some Californians have rediscovered secession as their remedy....

https://townhall.com/columnists/bria...&newsletterad=

The idea of federalism as it applies to medical marijuana laws in the states. The self-proclaimed champions of federalism will have their commitment to the idea tested when they are called on to vote on a measure protecting federalism as part of the appropriations process this fall.
There is bipartisan support for the idea of federalism. On May 18, 2017, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Democratic Leader Nazi Pelosi (D-CA) put out a press release that committed the chamber to the idea of federalism:

Federalism is not a Republican or Democrat principle, but an American principle—and one that is integral to a thriving culture and economy. But in recent years, the principle of federalism has been slowly chipped away at by an overzealous federal government.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

“Long periods of peace and quiet favor certain optical illusions. Among them is the assumption that the invulnerability of the home is founded upon the constitution and safeguarded by it. In reality, it rests upon the father of the family who, accompanied by his sons, appears with the ax on the threshold of his dwelling.”

Ernst Jünger

Old 07-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Illinois is in really, really, really bad financial shape. A Chitcago Tribune reporter suggests forced balkanization

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html

I looked at this and realized that Cairo would end up in Kaintuck....

Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Happy Secession from Great Britain Day!!!

Old 07-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

Happy Secession from Great Britain Day!!!

Some people just can't let things go.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

more Independence Day stuff

Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Some Positivity!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

University of Western Michigan hires former ISIS sex slaves for groundskeeping, union objects: http://ijr.com/2017/07/914601-union-...m_medium=owned

Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610
Default Can we sustain this?

- Real monthly federal spending topped $400 billion for the first time in June, when the Treasury spent a record $428,894,000,000, according to the Monthly Treasury Statement released today.
https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsre...mt/mts0617.pdf

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...00b-first-time

Federalized Student Loan debt is now greater than the entire Federal Budget of 1990 (I didn't adjust for inflation) https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SLOAS

Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Abbeville takes a look at this guy

https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/r...ell-wide-open/

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

The profligacy of the Obama Era in Sodom On The Potomac will only be exacerbated by the "reduced" spending of tRUMP.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...c-death-spiral

According to the latest report of Social Security’s trustees, the program’s unfunded future liabilities now exceed $34.2 trillion........
Big numbers like $34 trillion tend to make the eyes glaze over, so consider this: Restoring Social Security to permanent sustainable solvency would require immediately a roughly one-third increase in the payroll tax (or an equivalent in other taxes), or a permanent reduction in benefits for all current and future beneficiaries of about 25 percent.

failure would be catastrophic. Set aside the immorality of burdening our children and grandchildren with this mountain of debt: We are poorer today because businesses, looking at the wave of future debt and the taxes that paying it would impose, are less likely to invest or expand. It is a death spiral of its own. Debt slows economic growth, which increases the debt, which slows growth, and so on.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Why they hate Putin

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 610

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table