WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

For the Love of Cooking

Old 08-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Prajakta (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon1 For the Love of Cooking

I sometimes wonder if the aroma from the kitchen could be transformed into a picture then, it would be one amongst the world's most marvelous pictures.

The Oxford Dictionary's definition of cooking is "the process of preparing food."
I think "cooking is an art as well as science." Art because every hand that cooks has a different taste. Science because there is a combination of different ingredients to create a fantastic chemistry.

Why do we cook? We cook to feed a hungry stomach. So in a way all those who cook for themselves and for others are doing a work of God.

Cooking not only converts raw ingredients into eatables. It teaches us many lesson of life.Just by observing the process of cooking we can learn many things about the journey of life.

Cooking teaches us patience. There are some recipes which take a lot of preparation time but they are very delicious. It's an example of the saying " Patience is bitter , but the fruit is sweet."
Cooking teaches us the importance of hard work. The more we knead the dough , the better would be your bread, chapati, cookies etc.
Some delicacies are fried on medium heat whereas some are fried on high heat (for the risk of soaking more oil). Cooking teaches us that different approach has to be adopted for different situations in life. Different achievements require different efforts.
If we put ginger in milk (which is not sufficiently hot), the milk will curdle. We put cardamom powder in desserts in the end in order to maintain its fragrance and taste. Likewise there is a time for everything. Things done before or after the suitable time may not yield the desired results.
The more you boil tea, or any curry; the better it tastes. Similarly we need to work very hard to get the perfect results. It does not come in easy.
If oil is not hot enough, mustard seeds will not temper properly and we will not get that wonderful taste. Likewise putting in lesser efforts cannot give us what we want.
Every spice has its individuality , it's aroma. When we mix spices together we get most wonderful flavours. This is what Team Work is. This is what Family is. Different people, different thoughts, different ideas. When we co-operate with each other our teams work with efficiency , our families come closer and our houses become homes.

Cooking is also good for health. For every one hour of cooking and food preparation anywhere between 100-160 calories (approx.) depending on the level of activity while cooking. Cooking gives good exercise to our arms, shoulders, back and hands.

Those who don't love cooking; well! at some point in time you might have to cook. So better start enjoying it or at least hate it less. It will make life easier.

For those who love cooking, it is not just making something to eat. It is much more than that. It's passion, it's a stress buster. It's peace of mind. It's love.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 AM
AlyssJJJ1 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

It`s a very interesting thought. I really enjoy what have you written.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Grace Gabriel (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,044

Prajakta, welcome first of all. Lovely to see your name here, and hope this is the first of many pieces that you'll share with us.

I loved the sentiment in this and could relate to it. As a mum, I can recognise that expression of love and nurture through preparing food - and it feels so nice to have everyone you love around a table.

Having said that, I can confess to a long but great family day out today that finished with a film at the cinema, a fair amount of junk food and a drive-thru supper... oh dear.

I shall redeem myself with Sunday lunch tomorrow....

Thanks for being brave and getting a first post under your belt. A pleasure to read.
Myers (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 352

Your love of cooking really comes through in this.

I love to cook too and do the bulk of it at my house. It's the best way to wind down at the end of the day get my mind off work.

Cheers!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:09 AM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

This was really random. fun to read. i have an inkling about the kitchen as far as seasoning and that's enough to hard-boil an egg... and that's about it. just sharing. i've heard that the cook thinks their meal is better than the people they serve do, but that's kind of strange to read about. lol, props for the read.

@Myers, what do you like to cook? maybe i'll get some food ideas. i'm too skinny cause i just order takeout and leave most of it in the fridge to rot.

@Grace, we always have the same threads!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
Myers (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 352

Ms. Bot, that's hard to answer briefly.

I like to wing it -- just stand in front of the refrigerator and look into the pantry and make something up. Last night we had grilled chicken breasts with mango salsa and avocado slices and black beans and rice on the side. Just stuff we had around.

I like to do stir fry or saute whatever's on hand and serve it on rice or pasta or in a tortilla. I cook slightly more elaborate things like lasagna or a pork tenderloin or roast on the weekends that we can have again later in the week. When all else fails, it's omelets and a salad.

It can be a bit of cluster, because my wife does the shopping and we don't coordinate all that well -- but it usually works out. If we have ground beef, chicken, fish or shrimp in the freezer, I can put something together. And thankfully, my kids aren't picky eaters.

My favorite is pizza with homemade crust. That's pretty much a Friday night standard.

Last edited by Myers; 07-04-2017 at 08:54 AM..
Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
This was really random. fun to read. i have an inkling about the kitchen as far as seasoning and that's enough to hard-boil an egg... and that's about it. just sharing. i've heard that the cook thinks their meal is better than the people they serve do, but that's kind of strange to read about. lol, props for the read.

@Myers, what do you like to cook? maybe i'll get some food ideas. i'm too skinny cause i just order takeout and leave most of it in the fridge to rot.

@Grace, we always have the same threads!

I'd like to point out that if Chat says it's random, it must be really, really random....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing