WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Which story idea has the most potential?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
holdfasttodream (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 4
Default Which story idea has the most potential?

Which story idea that I came up with do you think has the most potential?

Idea #1: The protagonist is transported back in time to medieval england accidentally via a ‘portal’. She struggles to adjust to the time period, but eventually manages to with the help of a servant whom she befriends. The friendship grows into something more; they fall in love. All is well for a time, until the protagonist is suddenly transported to yet another time in history. Unbeknownst to her, so is her lover. The unfortunate individuals are under a curse. Both are taken to the same point in history multiple times. She remains the same, but his appearance, voice, and, to an extent, his personality are changed. The curse is to test their love for each other. She must fall in love with him despite that fact that he is different, and she must figure out who she is, as she won’t know. He is not allowed to reveal his identity to her, or they will be separated by time forever. 
Genre: historical fiction/fantasy

Idea #2: In 16th century Italy, the protagonist is proposed to by a controlling and arrogant man. She refuses to marry him, which angers her parents. They tell her she must marry him or spend the rest of her life in a convent. She does not change her mind about marrying the man, so she is sent to a convent. There, she meets a young priest. At first they dislike each other very much, but as time goes on they fall in love. Since both of them are in service to the Catholic Church, they are not allowed to be in a relationship with anyone or get married. They struggle with trying to suppress their feelings for each other and how to hide their relationship once they can not hide their feelings anymore. The Catholic Church was extremely powerful in Europe at this time in history. The consequences for breaking the rules of the church were often very severe, which means their love for each other puts them in terrible danger. 
Genre: historical fiction/romance

Idea #3: A terrible dictator and sorceress rises to power in a fictional land (that I have yet to name). A prophecy is made that she can only be defeated by an unlikely team of allies who must face many challenges before being able to try to defeat her. The prophecy ends up being for a boy and a girl who were childhood rivals (although the boy always had feelings for the girl). They must manage to work together if they have any hope of coming out of the ordeal alive. 
Genre: fantasy

Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Did you mean "post" potential, or "most" potential?

And please have some patience. You'd already posted up a thread like this yesterday (which I've removed since it's a duplicate and this one is formatted more clearly).

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:51 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

It really depends on you and your ability to write for the different genres. Each plot idea has different skills needed to make it successful.

You must decide which you will enjoy writing. Here's some questions to hopefully help with that process.

Are you familiar with the Catholic Church? Even better, are you Catholic? Misconceptions abound in matters of religion and a sizable audience is potentially Catholic. Make glaring errors and you won't gain fans. At the very least, do you know a devout Catholic who can let you if you get something wrong?

Are you good at history and historical research? Do you enjoy that? Two of the plots may need those skills and enjoyment.

Are you good at writing fantasy? I think this is the most demanding genre from a creative standpoint. Making up names, customs, dress, appearances, etc certainly stretch ones imagination.

Another option would be to spin the third one into reality and have the boy and girl trying to stop a hostile business takeover, or something similar.

Hope this helps and good luck, whatever you choose.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
It really depends on you and your ability to write for the different genres. Each plot idea has different skills needed to make it successful.

You must decide which you will enjoy writing. Here's some questions to hopefully help with that process.

Are you familiar with the Catholic Church? Even better, are you Catholic? Misconceptions abound in matters of religion and a sizable audience is potentially Catholic. Make glaring errors and you won't gain fans. At the very least, do you know a devout Catholic who can let you if you get something wrong?

Are you good at history and historical research? Do you enjoy that? Two of the plots may need those skills and enjoyment.

Are you good at writing fantasy? I think this is the most demanding genre from a creative standpoint. Making up names, customs, dress, appearances, etc certainly stretch ones imagination.

Another option would be to spin the third one into reality and have the boy and girl trying to stop a hostile business takeover, or something similar.

Hope this helps and good luck, whatever you choose.

Thanks for the advice! I myself am not Catholic, but I attended Catholic school for four years and have many Catholic friends, so I don't think that errors will be much of a problem. As for writing fantasy, I do not have much experience writing it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Did you mean "post" potential, or "most" potential?

And please have some patience. You'd already posted up a thread like this yesterday (which I've removed since it's a duplicate and this one is formatted more clearly).
I meant most, I made a typo. Sorry for posting it a second time, I thought I had accidentally deleted the other thread, so that's why I put up this one.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

In my experience no one starts writing any genre with years of experience! My advice would be a knee-jerk number 3. But then again I'm not a big of romance at all. Unless if there's a bigger main-plot and the romance is just filler. However! As you seem to have spent more effort writing the descriptions of the first two ideas that's clearly where your mind is taking you, like it or not. Personally however I would write all three! When you get stuck one, move to another! And keep doing so, 'till you get back to the first idea! Am I the person to listen to? Beats me! I've got over 300 stories written that I started six almost seven years ago, but haven't felt 'till this fall like that my edits were complete (or nearly,depending). Hope this helps!

Ugene Patrick O'Reilly Rentalok. SS Intrepid.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

I really like ideas 1 and 3. for #1 it gives me an adult novel feel, similar to The Time Traveller's Wife. Having changes in time being so large adds many aspects from society that the characters will need to adapt.
#3 gives me a Young Adult feel, similar to the Narnia stories. The characters will need to learn many skills and how to work with the other person to achieve success.
What you write all depends on which story flows most easily for you or which you think you will have the most fun doing. I had a similar situation a few years back with three stories I wanted to write. I chose my fantasy Y.A. story and am now 3/4 through book two, books 3 and 4 roughly in mind. When they are done I will start one of the other stories I came up with back then.
In a way it's a fun problem to have. Good luck with your choice.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues