WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

oh how I hate editing posts, so share with me then

Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...making me think..." went the goblin thanking brian for the insight of it, adding "...I like reading the posts of others here...")

repost from elsewhere, the writertypes

the goblin was somewhat losing the plot at this point, finding it ever harder to differentiate things, and to adapt himself to those trolls on their forum and the writertypes on this forum, relating "...well, to keep one's mind supple it's always best to be across a wide spectrum of forums, though in practice one can often get confused by the diversity of it all, so if by any chance you too are now having trouble telling both lowly creatures apart, adapting accordingly to it, etc., it's suffice to understand that the trolls are trolls who know that they're trolls, whereas the writertypes are more like unsuspecting trolls whose posts are better written for all their detractions, hope this helps then, I mean sometimes it does help to clarify things to oneself, even if its a bit confusing too...", meanwhile the slot in some supporting role here just went "...this has been a public service announcement on behalf of all goblins everywhere..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgLapRAloQ

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-30-2017 at 06:09 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
BEnzo (08-30-2017), Grace Gabriel (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

repost form elsewhere, that time of year

the goblin returned to work now where last night has been geneva's firework display, and although everyone went to the lakeside the goblin himself hadn't gone nor seen it in years, instead between 10h00 and 1030 the firework had bangs apace while the goblin upon hearing and feeling it form home knew that to everyone else it was a swell spectacle that lighted up the night's sky there, yet to the goblin himself it simply marked the end of summer to him, relating "...today outside it looks no different from yesterday, just that inside I know the difference, yes funny how some simple knowledge can change everything as if the bigger picture of understanding can swallow whole the little picture of one's reality..."

xxxx 5793 380054

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-30-2017 at 09:26 AM..
BEnzo (08-30-2017), Grace Gabriel (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

I like the Batman thing and that gorilla photograph. I hope you like my favourite song. Thank you very much.

Best wishes
Little Man

https://youtu.be/QtXby3twMmI
fleamailman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

(A beautiful post BP - and very much appreciated.)

So. Wednesday afternoon then - as cold and dreary as November. The day had started early, with Grace suffering the tender ministrations of a dental hygienist - the 'kitten in a teacup' poster on the ceiling offering little distraction to Grace as the hygienist rifled around in her gums as if she was searching for a lipstick in a handbag. Then the horrors of shopping for school trousers was softened with burgers and shakes at McMucks - a small inducement to not claim "they'll do" to anything and everything she wrestled the lad into. They had walked the dog briskly through the rain - marvelling at why the summer hedgerows should already be laden with blackberries so early. The Rowans - already a riot of orange clusters - were solemnly acknowledged as the harbingers of doom for a hard winter to come. Home again, and Little Man was busy building a nest on the sofa for his 4.00 pm televisual feast of 'Ghost Stories' followed by 'Ghost Adventures'. Perhaps an unusual nine year old, to revel so gleefully in the prospect of demons in the cupboards and malevolent spirits pulling off the bedclothes. He had followed the two shows all summer, and now was a veteran of spook investigations and protocol - so much so, that the postman tapping on the door could invoke such authoritative wisdom as "Just head for the light friend!", in the absence of anything more sinister in their home than lost socks and long legged spiders then.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 08-31-2017 at 05:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

repost from elsewhere

the goblin returned, no he never left off posting really only that his dailylife had robbed him of yet another week it seemed, adding "...busy times are good times, yes everything is fine my end, plus the world news is uneventful, tranquil even, probably why I'm all the more worried about it then, yes it's a weird logic perhaps, but whenever anything continues unbroken for long it is just not right in its eventuality, being something that runs headlong against those laws of probability there...", simply if things were "going to plan" then the goblin felt that all that did was slowly stack the deck against their continuing that way, sighing "...guess heaven would just worry me to death if I wasn't already dead..."

xxxx 5794 380363

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-01-2017 at 12:38 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

(In response to BP's post, of the 29th) Aye, and aren't we all, reflected the Prodigalson, thinking back on all the years he'd jumped to repair the cars a younger brother had tried to fix, and made worse; the home repairs, after the same brother had made a mess of it, and then the long estrangement because of the same brother.

Then a sixteen year old boy who was like a son to me was shot by the police, and I realized how short this life can be so I went to my parents' home to find my father dying of Alzheimer's. I was there the morning he had the seizure which killed him, and I saw my mother anew in the anguish in her voice as she held my father's head and said, "Oh, Bob," knowing he was dying.

I helped her move when she sold the house (five bedrooms on three stories was too much for an old woman like herself, she said, but I think it wasn't the emptiness of the house, it was the fullness of the memories that made her want to keep it as it was, in her head.)

Now, she is a free spirit, and the only times I have to do something for her is when she breezes back into town for a moment between stops in Texas, San Diego, Hawaii, Maryland, and various other places we have family, or she just always wanted to go (as in Ecuador, in her seventies).

I know I can't get back all the years I voluntarily kept myself separated from her, for whatever misguided reason, and whenever we meet for lunch, as we part I give her a hug and tell her I love her, but inside I'm still a little boy, saying, "Momma, don't go...."
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 08-31-2017 at 06:41 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (08-31-2017), fleamailman (09-01-2017), Grace Gabriel (09-01-2017), Mohican (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

repost from elsewhere

"...well yes agreed, oz does seem a nice destination now, and either way britain seems to be falling apart even without that brexit there, simply whenever a government starts using foreign labour to undercut its own local labour costs, as seen by the NHS or by london's educational system, it ends up paying twice as much by first paying that cheap foreign labour and then by paying those others who are left unemployed by it too..." lamented the goblin whose mind was elsewhere more upon the growing instability in the US today, adding "...perhaps this social polarization is in part a realization that "the american age" as we have known it is fast changing to something else again, yes things grow ugly because those aspirations therein can no longer be met by the financial reserves that it has not got, simply its military for all its prowess cannot battle upon the homefront too, a homefront of lowering living standards for the vast majority of americans today coupled with that growing uncertainty therein...", in fact, looking at it now the goblin was somehow reminded of roseevelt's times again where the government was finally prompted into action with the likes of "the new deal", whereupon the goblin just sighed "...yes but back then the country was united as one, with one goal too, not today though, no today the very same country is just too polarized to act in any unison...", as a voice from the back of the goblin's mind just went "...a house divided upon itself cannot stand goblin..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-01-2017 at 03:02 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-01-2017), Prodigalson (09-04-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

What is this? A one man diatribe?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

No, this is boring. As cute as fleamailman is, he is dull.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

did fleaman just get angry and attack me?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

this got fun
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

What is this? A one man diatribe?
No, this is boring. As cute as fleamailman is, he is dull.
did fleaman just get angry and attack me?
this got fun
"...take it away chinspinner, the floor is yours whenever the mood takes you now, just post that which you feel your post should be..." voiced the goblin returned from the troll's forum feeling somewhat encouraged by chinspinner, prompted into replying then adding "...naah doesn't matter what one posts or what others posters think as there will always be one's detractors whatever one posts, and yet if I get even one post right to myself alone then all this posting here would have been worth it to me, yes apart from reading other poster's posts to see what I can learn by it, I guess that getting the posts right to myself is all that matters to me really, real selfish I know but unless one is selfish here then it all becomes selfless by that default alone, where selfless is unsustainable, trolls at least know that much about their posting then, moreover unless one becomes a "whatever" at some point, a "whatever" in someone else's eyes, perhaps in most people's eyes even, then one is just a "notever" for having not tried now, and you...., ...", and with that the goblin sat back, looked over what he had written to edit it further, and then wondered what picture would underline its sincerity in seeing what chinspinner would post back in his fun as put it

xxxxx 5901 380760

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-02-2017 at 02:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

And Grace turned up, picking her way through the debris of Chinspinner's desperate attempts to get attention - but then, she was adept at dealing with stunts and tantrums, knowing there was always an underlying problem trying to find expression. "Take responsibility for cleaning up after yourself and then talk to me" was always her edict at home then, yet she found so many adults in life had a hurt child hiding inside of themselves and nobody ever seemed too old to benefit from this advice . She had once taken Little Man outside with a handful of saucers and china cups, and set him at a safe distance from the garage door to hurl and smash them without causing injury. But the caveat was that he had to vocalise "I'm mad because.." each time he drew his arm back and released, until finally, as the sixth piece of china splintered against the wall, he screamed "I'm mad because I want my Dad" and the throwing arm went limp along with the body and the tears found release along with their cause. And Grace had knelt and wrapped herself around him, hugging and rocking until the storm passed. And she had given him the broom and thick gardening gloves - watching from the kitchen window as he sifted through all the pieces and disposed of what was broken then - before coming back to her carrying only what was whole.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-02-2017 at 05:17 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-02-2017), Mohican (09-02-2017), Prodigalson (09-04-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:24 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...that's what I want to read grace, no I didn't know that I wanted to read it though, and thus was pulled all the more when that line hit my conscience there..." mentioned the knowing no one wrote like grace did)

repost from elsewhere, the goblin chatting with another livewriter who offered this picture

http://www.writerscafe.org/uploads/r...cf6b7c10fd.jpg

"...missed you, where have you been..." went the goblin liking the picture and of late back into livewriting again, adding "...I should stop to write more often, yet instead my dailylife finds all manner of distractions to fill my time up with...", where soon the goblin's children long "come of age" will finally fly the nest too, relating "...the average lifespan in europe of someone who retires is about three years, moreover the highest divorce rate too is in newly retired couples, so soon it'll be just be me and the captain then, wish us luck...", while outside his apartment the last of the storm was tailing off into the evening's darkness, and even with the shutters closed the goblin's mind could still perceive its intensity by the odd thump or bang or gush of wind then, adding "...it's just the same way I perceive my future I guess, no I can't actually see my future, no one can, just I can see what I just imagine it to be like then, part of why one posts isn't it, to see into the future with one's mind eye, and chat to ghosts long gone even..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-02-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-02-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

So. Approaching midnight on Sunday evening then as Grace sat down to the keyboard. She was too tired to write but her thoughts were fractious and grizzling - a post needed to swaddle her mind and rock it to sleep. Her head was swirling like a carousel - the horses rising and falling too quickly to make out which ghosts of the past straddled their backs, waving for her camera. Over the years, Grace had learnt to deal with thoughts much like household bills and correspondence. Everything needs either action or settlement before you can discard it. Feelings rise to the surface like those unwanted envelopes, hurriedly ripped open and re-stuffed with no more than a glance. So Grace sat quietly, sifting through her mental archives, searching for the 'Final Demand' that required an emotional cheque within the next seven days lest further action be taken. Grace closed her eyes and defiantly stared down the past - as challenging as some primitive warrior then - naked and wild-eyed with her pen poised like a spear.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-03-2017 at 04:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-04-2017), Prodigalson (09-06-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:56 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...beautiful again, a positive feast of well entwined images there..." went the goblin wondering if that other recent poster was his "poet" of old, relating "...same traits, same simplicity, could well be him indeed, and if so he'll pass through our orbit shortly stating his excuses while no doubt blaming those around him for his departure there too, still he's a storm while he lasts...")

repost from elsewhere, the "drunkenness" thread

An apology for drunkenness already committed and many to come. Have I, or should I, act drunk, it was just the beer talking. So please blame the beer. Might I add that drunkenness is not acceptable for children under nine years old, and if you are younger, please pretend that drunkenness is not fun until you reach age, and realise that then it is a lot of fun. I think the law required me to state that.
"...often it's a choice between that alcohol there or one's family I suppose..." mentioned the goblin suspecting too that any family is doomed if it gets to the point where someone in that family is excusing themselves upon their drinking habit, yet either way the old man seated opposite the goblin now typing away was just too old to drink so out of politeness the goblin too never drank in his presence, to which the goblin then smiled upon thinking something saying "...whereas I could blame my muse for what gets written, or I could thank her still, or be utterly indifferent to her even, yet how is one ever going to know what is within oneself if one doesn't at least try to write it out of oneself too, and so I'll follow you there in apologizing for what gets posted by me now, hardly knowing what that will be though, yet it's not what one writes now is it, nor how it's received that is truly enjoyable, no instead what's pleasurable are those long moments of sifting through one's thoughts in the process of conversing with others here that makes this creating posts as enjoyable as paintings a picture perhaps if not more so even..."

xxxx 5805 381258

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-04-2017 at 04:50 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017), Prodigalson (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

"But could your poet write?", Grace asked Flea, in response to his post above, "because our newcomer can - and writes well within the safe confines of fiction", Grace continued, wondering if Flea had sampled the posts in 'Members Only Forum' that showcased a far more intelligent and agile mind than those smatterings of machine-gun-fired dross ever would then. Grace paused a moment, wondering if she should regret harsher comments made to the newcomer elsewhere - delivered out of concern rather than spite. "No, I stand by what I've said", Grace concluded, finding herself guilty of no more than holding up a mirror and realising the stinging slap was not delivered by her own hand but the truth. "He's welcome here", Grace decided, "if he takes the time to craft his finest expression of himself - and in doing so, will refine those demons to a diminished size, and discover the courage and resolve to slay them then."

https://youtu.be/1SiylvmFI_8

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-04-2017 at 08:32 AM..
fleamailman (09-05-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
this got fun
Does anyone else get the impression chinspinner is a chatbot?
The Following User Says Thank You to eripiomundus For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
Does anyone else get the impression chinspinner is a chatbot?
"...nope I think I know who he is by now, he's a real person for sure but there's no depth to him, I mean I asked him to post something in his own right, he couldn't deliver and still can't for all his words, so back he returns instead to bitch about this that and the next thing, to disrupt things perhaps, yes but that ain't going to happen though, and besides everyone just sees him behind his negativity there as someone hurt for his hitting out..." ventured the goblin welcoming eripiomundus though, then smiling to the words"...I don't think I've had the pleasure now, most pleased to meet you too, so just post here when the mood takes or when you've low in spirits or just in need of flexing those writing muscles of yours...", and with that the goblin went off to find a matching picture here, explaining "...it's vanity on my part but three things I want from this posting, a writer's way with words, an illustrator's eye for matching pictures to texts, and above all a credible persona to remain ever this goblin between us now..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-04-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

Repost from Mohican's 'Western Culture and Specifically American Culture' thread (where epioledus. No, wait.. epi..epi...where Hippopotamus showcased a natural propensity to slip into third gear, "So we must have him Flea", Grace told him excitedly, wondering what inducements might make Hippo a regular then.)

And Grace showed up, shocked by Hippopotamus's vignette of life in the States. "No, I don't much comment on these threads", Grace apologised, knowing herself to not be qualified with her peaceful and harmonious life in the British countryside. "We have all colours and every ethnicity here", she continued, "and no issues arising from it", although Grace knew deep down that the fresh and exotic blood had done much to Anglicise itself and fit in - whereas the community would balk at the prospect of a Mosque being erected, no doubt justifying their objections on the grounds of preserving the thatched and fragrant history of this picturesque backwater. Then Grace suddenly realised she was not on Flea's thread, and his habit of writing in third in public was rubbing off on her. "Sorry", Grace blushed, reversing out quickly, blaming Flea entirely in this new climate of diminished responsibility - clutching her post to deposit it someplace else where it wouldn't be considered a break from the norm then.

https://youtu.be/LajppsE2_LY

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-04-2017 at 04:00 PM..
fleamailman (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...and now we know, after a year's absence, a pm on another forum then..." smiled the goblin)

repost from elsewhere

Still pretending to be a writer? You're the epitome of the word "pathetic"
"...ah now, was that you on writersbeat too, I mean you ran off so quickly didn't you just..." replied the goblin never wishing to be a writer though, smiling "...naah, let those writers here have that book readership there, me I'll just settle for an engrossing replyship across forumland instead, far more responsive and fun involving others than just writing by myself really, btw are now banned from there too, or simply licking your wounds still, no you'll return because you must, just like this PM too, so welcome back then, or do you want to pretend it's otherwise between us still..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-04-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

"Ah, so could be 'poet' then", Grace mused, although not able to determine any tell-tale signs for herself, having not had the pleasure of Flea's persistent stalker elsewhere. "Well, I can help you with this", Grace offered, having accumulated a new wealth of information about dealing with hauntings whilst policing Little Man's dubious taste in teatime viewing. "Apparently, malevolent spirits or poltergeists can form such strong attachments that they follow you home, only to create more havoc. They feed off of the host's energy you see - having so little of their own. Apparently, they get 'earth bound' through the baseness of their natures - unable to relinquish their petty grudges or piddling fiefdoms, not even for the promise of eternal peace itself", Grace explained, marvelling at how her recent experiences were all synchronised to give insight in an unexpected way. "Well, we have two options here. They say that if you completely ignore a malevolent spirit, it eventually leaves - as the purpose of causing a commotion is largely to get attention. Or, we could recite The Lord's Prayer", finished Grace, not really bothered either way, as the intruder couldn't claim anything as exotic as being a dead man talking then - and would never know, through invisible visitation, just how glorious she looked in the shower.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-04-2017 at 02:50 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-05-2017), Prodigalson (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 42

Last edited by Leila; 10-02-2017 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: rambling nonsense
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
anna (09-07-2017), fleamailman (09-05-2017), Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:10 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

and with that the goblin smiled knowingly, remembering those many "befores" now, so he moved slowly this time as if not to impose anything, instead he just beckoned spirit to the words "...dailylife is such a thief isn't it just, so it's good to see that you've escaped your bonds again, so walk with me awhile, walk with us won't you, no I could never match your stride exactly, not those magic words of yours, but at least I can try to offer you some contrast there, or some company still, yes it's home here but home is not always the easiest place to abide in..." and with that the goblin offered up his hand supportingly since he imagined his arm would probably wrap ungainly around her legs, smiling "...well, this journey to self is a long one, or it suddenly isn't as the case may be, and ever one's dailylife is just there around one yet even in the midst of its reality too somehow one returns to one's journey to self through one's posts eventually..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-06-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-05-2017), Leila (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

repost from elsewhere, from the "mohican's miscellaneous meanderings" thread in the "intellectual table" section of this forum

yes it was long before the goblin's time, yet one the things that those victorians did right was banning companies from issuing credits that could only be saved used and spent in the company store alone, meaning that one's wage was in effect money that stayed within the company, meaning again that one was in effect enslaved by it, whereupon the goblin remarked "...odd then that those very same governments today, that did that morally right thing back then, are themselves now slyly introducing a cashless society as in bank credits denoted in their currencies, so what does that tell you about where we were once in comparison to where we are are now...", in fact, the goblin knew that line "the marriage of corporations to the state is fascism", yet fascism is the state running things, state run fascism results, whereas conversely any state married to those multinationals results not in fascism, but in multinational run serfdom, where the individual instead of being tied to the land is now tied to those non cashable bank credits, sighing "...alas the multinationals are not fractured by such internal politics nor by those prospects of external wars as most countries are, nor do they have the burden of the welfare of the citizen neither, moreover those multinationals due to their enormous size are so structured as to able to survive without any one country in particular, in short we live in an age that should be called the "multinational age" yet the media in its agenda would still have think in terms of countries alone..."

xxxx

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-06-2017 at 05:44 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-06-2017), Prodigalson (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

repost from elsewhere, the "drunkenness thread"

I think I speak for everyone when I say, please use paragraphs.
"...alternatively you could ask yourself why I don't use paragraphs at all, and then with such questions you'll become ever so clever before long..." replied the goblin politely enough, then adding "...btw what do you think of your own posts so far, I mean if you want to play the troll here I'll happily play along with you, but remember a troll never has the initiative, he builds no readership per se, those years pass and then what has he got to show for all his trolls across forumland, yes that's your choice isn't it...", the goblin lightened off a bit, after all most posters newly arrived here came with their own set ideas about posting to begin with, only later to change that view with the practice of posting, then the goblin just continued "...actually if it puts you at ease and helps you to converse with me, I'm on troll forums too, after all they do serve their purpose having their blunt mindset about posting, yet here you are with us writertypes now, writertypes whose focus is quite different again, something more like "how one sees one's posts" perhaps, where if there's was ever a need of a second paragraph then one might well think upon using a "follow up post" instead, just saying...", and with that the goblin bid xxxxx slow down while composing his posts, concluding "...naah, it's not what you post, but what you didn't know that you could post, that makes all the difference to your postings..."

xxxx 5816 381858

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-06-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Grace Gabriel (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Leila entered through the portals of this twilight world, feeling, as always, like an old graveyard ghost, remembering how she'd frequented these parts many moons ago under a different name. 'do you remember, goblin, could you possibly remember who I was in a past life? Do you remember the feisty Kas, my partner in crime in those glad, far-off days? It may well have been another life,' she sighed, 'so much which I did not foresee, which I did not want, has happened to me since then. Yet at the end of it, here I still am. To what purpose? Seems more and more like I'll never quite know.' With that she drifted back out, unwilling to submit to the claims of darkness, to sleep .. still she had to get up early next morning to put the bins out if nothing else.

And Grace breezed in, sipping a hardcore coffee as she considered Leila's post again - planning to suck the innards out of the twelve minute break she'd awarded herself. "Sometimes I thumb through my old passports", Grace began - the Kit Kat finger clenched between her teeth lending a Churchill-esque expression. "It's nice to reminisce about all the countries that can lay claim to my heart. Photos the same", she hammered - thinking of the loved and gone that smiled at her from treasured albums. "But I don't want to go back", she explained, "and I wouldn't change a single dark hour of it either - all of those stitches in time making up the tapestry of Grace then - all those past days weaving and conspiring to deliver my now. Grace paused, and having chewed her chocolate cigar to a stump, she flicked her head back and gulped it down with all the panache of a trained sea lion. "There's many a post on the Beat mourning the heady days when this site was teeming with colourful folk and great writing", Grace continued - eyes flicking to the clock and registering six minutes left. "But because they don't believe that their best writing is perhaps in front of them - or the golden days of this site are yet to come - they bring nothing but lethargy and remembering how good it was does nothing more than cripple the future." Grace stretched her fingers, took a deep breath and resolved to finish this post and underline it with just the right link then. "No, never get up early just to put the bins out", she finished, smiling at Leila encouragingly with still two minutes to spare for more coffee. "Get up with the belief that you can improve on yesterday".

https://youtu.be/NaT69NZbJMk

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-06-2017 at 10:25 PM..
fleamailman (09-06-2017), Leila (09-07-2017), Prodigalson (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM
anna (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 21

Oh, how anna wished she could write with such manual dexterity and seemingly effortless creative fluidity in the 12 minutes remaining! Taking the bins out was the richest of starts for "Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust" she exclaimed in a hush. Recycling, up cycling, mono-cycling raced her thoughts as they paced the distant bin lorry now in its snaking ever nearer through the still dawn. It's all in the letting go and holding dear. The baby and the bath water piped the blackbird catching the worm. 'By all means get up with the thought that - you - may be in a position today to improve on yesterday, having the innate potential, imagination, state of mind, robust nature, or are simply the lucky Jim next to him. But remember those who's lives have been truly broken whilst venturing on your journey today' she paused momentarily and her thoughts shunted on their path to a standstill. Leaves on the line. Gathering her refuge then, anna sprinted lightly through the spiders weave of yesterday and again tomorrow, today.
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...welcome anna, thanks for posting..." went the goblin)

repost from elsewhere

Why is your muse female?
"...well, her traits about as female as they come..." replied the goblin before continuing "...first off she's quite unpredictable, plus she's intoxicating as she pulls one towards her in those little plots of hers, plus she so demanding too in wanting everything exactly to her liking, also she nags at lot while ignoring my protests back, and although I've grown to love her dearly, either way then she keeps pointing out to me that it's "there's nowhere else to go goblin", while tricking one into signing that pact with here that reads "honesty, a shared life, and a thick skin" and all for a journey to self in return...", at which point the slot just went "...yes well anything goblin, but don't let her catch you writing about her like this, not unless it makes a massive hitcount by it...", for that drive for recognition too was part and parcel of her nature as it were, whereas the goblin himself preferred to remain utterly unknown, sighing "...just that back in those days she couldn't find anyone writing in their posts where most writertypes couldn't see their posts for their books instead, while readers for their part were increasingly moving online wanting "short interactive content", which is what all these posts are, so she picked me and here I am still just caught up in her pact then..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..
anna (09-07-2017), Grace Gabriel (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

Originally Posted by anna View Post
Oh, how anna wished she could write with such manual dexterity and seemingly effortless creative fluidity in the 12 minutes remaining! Taking the bins out was the richest of starts for "Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust" she exclaimed in a hush. Recycling, up cycling, mono-cycling raced her thoughts as they paced the distant bin lorry now in its snaking ever nearer through the still dawn. It's all in the letting go and holding dear. The baby and the bath water piped the blackbird catching the worm. 'By all means get up with the thought that - you - may be in a position today to improve on yesterday, having the innate potential, imagination, state of mind, robust nature, or are simply the lucky Jim next to him. But remember those who's lives have been truly broken whilst venturing on your journey today' she paused momentarily and her thoughts shunted on their path to a standstill. Leaves on the line. Gathering her refuge then, anna sprinted lightly through the spiders weave of yesterday and again tomorrow, today.
So. Thursday morning then, as Grace saddled a reply box and leapt on for a quick canter - her morning made by finding Anna here. "There's a poet in you", Grace said, savouring her post again and rolling Anna's words around in her mind like a wine taster's mouthful. "Real talent - so don't waste it", she typed, knowing that posting here was like learning to play the piano - the mind getting ever quicker and more competent through the regular practise of moving up and down the scales." Grace went back to Anna's post again - re-reading the lines and what lay between them. "It's about small victories", she began, remembering a 'To Do List' she had kept from dark days gone by, which simply read: (1) Get up (2) Get dressed ... with only the first task ticked on a wad of identical paper scraps. "Doesn't matter how slow or laboured the steps, as long as the movement is forward." And Grace remembered the fruitless tick, tick, tick from pressing her ignition switch over and over and over with nothing igniting - but she pressed until her finger calloused and eventually the spark caught. "Yes, there's so many out there fighting disease.. . starvation...fending off death itself with such courage", she agreed, never taking for granted the good things in her life and committed to never wasting a moment then.

https://youtu.be/dyEnW6zeesY

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-07-2017 at 12:41 PM..
anna (09-07-2017), fleamailman (09-07-2017), Prodigalson (09-12-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe