Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Lyrics

Lyrics Put the writing to the "beat"!

Know What I Know

Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403
Default Know What I Know

(Something I just knocked out for fun with a couple of friends)

Behind the eye of your mind's ignition
There lies the traffic of the thoughts I’m missing

Give me the keys—baby.
The keys—please.

I want to go—and stop
In my drop top.

And there lies the traffic of the thoughts I’m missing

Give me the keys—baby.
The keys—please.

I want to go—and stop
In my drop top.

It’s a sin that I know what I know –
And it’s a sure sign of weakness
when your fuel runs low.

Take a chance—speed past my house
on the last rainy day, in LA, since September.

Give me the keys—baby.
Give ‘em.

We’re gonna flip flop—
In my drop top.

It’s a sin that I know what I know—
and it’s a sure sign of weakness
if your fuels runs low.

And it’s got me thinking—
What’s a man supposed to do with his life?

And it’s got me thinking—
You’re a million miles away.

It’s a sin that I know what I know—
And it feels like strength,
but you know it’s hollow.

Here's the song:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16V...3gNMk8TCsMuL7Y

Old 03-04-2018, 12:53 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Boom!

This is like two sloppy-joes and a few cold ones on a Sunday afternoon. Good stuff. I like all of it. Haven’t heard it on the big stereo yet, but when I get home... or maybe I should play it in the truck... it’s got that Georgia thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

Nice one. I didn't listen to the music because I'm not allowed to watch Youtube. It's a data streaming thing and being in the woods, middle of nowhere

Kinda like your lyrics, a million miles away, maybe you and I know a couple things we shouldn't know huh?

LA, September rain.

I think you already have the keys and shouldn't wait for someone else to hand you anything. Just take those keys and go
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Nice one. I didn't listen to the music because I'm not allowed to watch Youtube. It's a data streaming thing and being in the woods, middle of nowhere

Kinda like your lyrics, a million miles away, maybe you and I know a couple things we shouldn't know huh?

LA, September rain.

I think you already have the keys and shouldn't wait for someone else to hand you anything. Just take those keys and go

It’s not a YouTube. It’s an audio file in a google drive folder. You can download it to your computer and listen without hogging much data.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Okay... listened on the garage stereo. I still really like it. I like the garage band sound, the flat close drums, the bass, and the guitars sound authentic. It sounds like a band. Some of your others sound more like a solo project—nothing wrong with that—but this feels... authentic.

Is that a Gibson Les Paul, or a Rickenbacker guitar you’re playing? It sounds like a hollow (or semi-hollow) body. I like that sound.

This thing sounds like you recorded it live in your garage, but I know you didn’t. It just sounds like that.

Good one.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Thanks for listening BP -- glad you liked it.

The bass, drums and rhythm guitar track were recorded at once, then I came back in and added another guitar track and vocal.

That definitely gives it a different feel -- just something that comes from the interplay. Plus, my preliminary version had a bass line that was all over the place. This guy scrapped it and played something far more simple that works so much better -- so there's that. It's actually deceptively simple, for me anyway, because I would have had a hard time playing it and making it sound consistent.

If I could use this working method for all my stuff, it would be fantastic. It's just very rare that we can all get together for any amount of time. And this drummer is really solid -- just elevates everything.

Here's another a version we tried, with a different lyric and the bass player singing. Totally different feel. He was going to play a keyboard solo over the bridge thing, but it just didn't come together. He might still add it, or I might do something -- maybe harmonica. I like his voice -- more so because I get sick of hearing mine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cv...Rz0BXMiNRBDKAG

P.S. Close with the guitar -- it's my SG Standard -- one of the guitars I always use -- two humbuckers like the Les Paul. It's mostly the neck pick up and I rolled off the tone on both -- gives it that fat sound.

Last edited by Myers; 03-05-2018 at 03:39 AM..
Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post

LA, September rain.

Thanks, Beesauce -- this is one you probably have to hear -- but I'm glad the lyrics worked for you anyway.

Cheers.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:03 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

One of the essential things about the version you sing is the swagger in both the lyric and the delivery. Makes the whole thing work on another level.

I love the bass line. I think you’re getting better at bass, but you still play like a guitarist😀

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Yeah -- I know. The thing is, I'd just as soon not play bass and let someone who can do it.

This guy was giving me the same shit -- all guitarists THINK they can play bass, but I know that's not true. Ironically -- he's really a multi-instrumentalist and plays guitar very well, along with keys and saxaphone and just about anything he decides to play. He even plays a credible violin -- that's not something that you can just pick up on a whim.

And yeah -- the swagger. Ha ha. Also something that's hard to muster up when you're singing by yourself in your home office...
Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

If you need a harmonica I'm mean on my metal toothpick hehe. Seriously though good shit man. I would definitely blast the CD in my car. Hint... Hint...

I do like the second voice, but the first has a soul in it. And a cadence the other doesn't, at least from these two songs. But the whine of the second voice is nice. Can he do the first lyrics? Cadence and all?

Courtesy of BP
Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

daes13 -- thanks for the listen and glad you liked it.

I like the guys voice, but I don't think the first version is in his wheelhouse. He's pretty mellow in his approach and he's consistent in a good way.

My voice tends to sound different in every song -- it's not really a good thing. I haven't done that much singing, so I'm still kind of settling or trying to hone in on something.

Cheers!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

I love the title.

Whatever to the rest.
And yes, no maybe so

maybe more than you know more.
maybe. even more than that.

What?

Oh comments are poetry. PUBLISHED.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Hey! Thanks for the awesome bump, Beesauce.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Lyrics