WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What's your IQ?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
If you're referring to me, I haven't posted my IQ here nor have I even mentioned it.

You brought my IQ into the conversation -- not me.
Heh -- yeah -- I'm betting you were just waiting for someone else to post theirs...

Last edited by Myers; 03-31-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Because -- hey everyone -- post your IQ, but I'm going to keep mine a secret!
Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

Theres also the bell,curve effect of how,much I drink, I get smarter, then exponentially dumber, but better at driving. Only hit two kids this week

Courtesy of BP
Old 03-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Hmm -- never hit any kids that I know of, but when I was drinking, I had a bad habit of backing into shit.

Something about the alcohol always made me assume nothing was behind me.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 PM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Well, apparently from the comments here, writers don't have higher IQs than non-writers.
Why would you have expected them to? Everybody writes now - in fact, I believe the number of authors equals the number of readers, as of 2016. Judging by the material I've had to edit and review, most of them are definitely not in the genius category.

One person quit the test because it seems they weren't figuring out the answers. To me, someone who says they hate number sequences is just excusing themselves because they can't find the solutions.
Or maybe they don't need an excuse to stop wasting their time on your whim.

And two people left lame comments, trying to be funny -- instead of actually taking the test.
We're not in school anymore. If we take tests, it's for our own amusement.

That aside, I'm pretty sure JK Rowling and Stephen King (the two richest and more successful writers, as we all know) have pretty high IQs.
Ah, but could you persuade them to take the frickin test?

Incidentally, I have taken a variety of IQ and aptitude tests and I know my scores - within a +/- 10% margin of error. This isn't one of the more creative or comprehensive tests; it's about good enough for recreational purposes.
BTW The highest earning books are those that appeal to masses and juveniles - not intellectuals.
So, as Myers says, There's that.

Last edited by Palindrome; 03-31-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 05:39 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I got 150, I don't think this test is very reliable. Or I'm just a genius and I have been wasting my potential all those years. Now I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

There were fewer questions than I had expected and they weren't too complex. I can't say I believe the results. Nice boost of confidence, though.

Have a happy Sunday.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

As Jesus said to the apostles this morning:
Go ahead and tell! Who's going to believe you?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

@Myers -- You're going to damn if I don't, and you're going to damn me if I do. I'm just not going to play that game.

@pralina -- When I told my friend my score, he figured it was probably 20 points too high. So perhaps your IQ is closer to 130 -- gifted.

You said most of the questions weren't too complex. But how do you know that it wasn't just you who perceived them that way because you're a bright person. Maybe others would have been stumped on most of them. I can think of a person in my life who I know would have been.

I'm still gonna look into finding an IQ test certified by the "proper authorities" and take that one to get a more accurate result.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184
Default What's your IQ?

I got 70 and it called me G. W. Bush... wonder who wrote this test?

But I have a pretty good dick, though. So I guess I break even😀

I do think there is a sweet spot with IQ as a whole when it comes to creative people. Enough to be bright, and not so much to make one socially incapable or stilted.

I seriously doubt Rowling or King are geniuses. Rowling graduated college with a degree in classics. Sheís mechanically a good writer, but what gave her the knock-out punch was understanding the classics and The Heroís Journey by Campbell. Well, that and good timing, motivation, discipline, and luck.

And Iím pretty sure King would tell you heís not a genius either. Heís creative, motivated, and disciplined. None of his work suggests genius.

I know quite a few geniuses. They are fascinating people to watch but they arenít writing ďpopĒ horror novels, or YA fiction. They are very uncomfortable people, socially awkward, and donít care. Or... maybe they care, but thereís nothing they can do about it. They donít understand normal people.

Anyway, imma take the test again and see if I can beat my first score.😀

Edit: oh, and I hope the test isnít scoring 20 points high... canít imagine whatís below G. W. Bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Anyone who thinks Rowling is a genius has already failed my IQ test. You should witness her idiocy on Twitter.

Iím no biologist but a lower IQ than GWB takes you down a species surely?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

It could be that J.K. Rowling scores at the "genius" level -- wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on her writing or her opinions on politics or anything else.

Otherwise, I think that there's a pretty broad consensus these days that IQ tests are pretty useless -- unless you need a high score for some kind of ego boost.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

Well my 58 score sure helps me feel,better about my writing.

I have 130, people just don't understand me.

Mines 110 why aren't I,making,more money.

Meanwhile there's a chimp in Bolivia making bucous of debanaerous just throwing his shit at the glass wall...

Guess its back to the drawing board for me

Courtesy of BP
Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
It could be that J.K. Rowling scores at the "genius" level -- wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on her writing or her opinions on politics or anything else.

Otherwise, I think that there's a pretty broad consensus these days that IQ tests are pretty useless -- unless you need a high score for some kind of ego boost.

Well, I scored 80 on the EQ test (below average), so hopefully the consensus is that those tests are equally as useless.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Years ago I was approached by a branding agency -- had several interviews up to the partner level. All seemed to be clicking and going well.

Then they called me in to take this test. I was utterly confused and bewildered by it. It was nothing like Myers Briggs or any other kind of aptitude test I'd ever taken. I can't even describe it. It had strange diagrams and pictures I was supposed to complete. Nothing I could second guess. I even thought for a moment it might be some kind of elaborate prank or mind game -- that if you called bullshit, you automatically got the job.

I finished the test -- handed it to some admin -- and I never heard from them again. They went under about a year later. Oh well.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184
Default What's your IQ?

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Years ago I was approached by a branding agency -- had several interviews up to the partner level. All seemed to be clicking and going well.

Then they called me in to take this test. I was utterly confused and bewildered by it. It was nothing like Myers Briggs or any other kind of aptitude test I'd ever taken. I can't even describe it. It had strange diagrams and pictures I was supposed to complete. Nothing I could second guess. I even thought for a moment it might be some kind of elaborate prank or mind game -- that if you called bullshit, you automatically got the job.

I finished the test -- handed it to some admin -- and I never heard from them again. They went under about a year later. Oh well.

Ha ha. Thatís really funny. I worked for a large national corporation for a few years as a consultant/expert and the application process involved a funny test like that. I could tell when I started it there was something weird. It was an online thing so I called my wife in (miss common sense/puzzle expert) and she did it for me. I just remember reading the questions and having her pick the answer I never would have. It was almost surreal.

So, Iíd recommend, next time youíre faced with a test like that, that you have your wife do it. Or... maybe your most practical daughter.

I donít think those tests are made for real men.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 04-02-2018 at 06:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Good idea!

And I've suspected for a while that both my kids are a lot smarter than I am.

I can still fake it, but time is running out...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

My daughters are now 23 and 25. They can openly call bullshit, and do. My wife usually backs them up. I still donít understand women, but they know some shit we canít know.

My son is 14. Heís a genius. I can still dazzle him with ethereal ďfacts.Ē His mind works on definite calculations and slippery ones set off a cascade of possibilities, giving me enough time to ďbe late for work.Ē😀

Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

hi konan,

there's a test on 123test.com
https://www.123test.com/classical-intelligence-test/

i believe it's fairly accurate. it's not like the free stuff you get on the web where everybody ends up being gifted and is asked to pay for a report detailing their genius.

plus, if you score 124 and above, you get to be part of the international high IQ society.

you gotta cough up $9 to take the test though. wanna give it a try?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by chippedmonk View Post
hi konan,

there's a test on 123test.com
https://www.123test.com/classical-intelligence-test/

i believe it's fairly accurate. it's not like the free stuff you get on the web where everybody ends up being gifted and is asked to pay for a report detailing their genius.

plus, if you score 124 and above, you get to be part of the international high IQ society.

you gotta cough up $9 to take the test though. wanna give it a try?

This test is bullshit... I got 152. That canít be right. Iím way more socially adept than that.
Nacia (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
This test is bullshit... I got 152. That canít be right. Iím way more socially adept than that.
hi brian, this test's extreme values are set between 71 and 151. it's very surprising you scored 152.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

I never thought in the whole of my life intelligence would be down to a number.
Does that mean it stops growing???
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I never thought in the whole of my life intelligence would be down to a number.

Does that mean it stops growing???

Actually it usually gets slightly lower as you get older. Itís not how much you know (mostly), itís your raw intellectual ability. Your capacity for abstract thought.

The 123 test is just a toy. The real tests are a battery of different kinds of tests usually given by a psychologist.
Nacia (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 26

well, the test at 123 does put your spatial, logical, linguistic and numerical faculties to work. i think it's fairly well-rounded in that sense, as these are the same areas that are covered in standard IQ tests. plus, it's timed. while it doesn't assess your short-term memory, which certain tests do, i think this test gives you a fairly good indication of your abilities in the domains mentioned.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

Actually it usually gets slightly lower as you get older. It’s not how much you know (mostly), it’s your raw intellectual ability. Your capacity for abstract thought.

The 123 test is just a toy. The real tests are a battery of different kinds of tests usually given by a psychologist.
According to what you have just said the older you get the dumber you become?!

How is that possible?

Intelligence is memory related. It is not about how much you know it is about how much one is able to remember.
All humans are born with capacity of knowledge it is installed in us to know things. It is in our dna. The faster the memory and the greater the intelligence.

Here is a question the IQ.
Are all shapes in our universe defined?
There are billions of shapes light create and have no defining name to them. Just because they have no specific title to them does not mean they do not exist. It means we are unable to establish what shape they are because one they alter all the time and two there is one created every second of every minute.
In otherwise it is an impossibility.
Intelligence is the same. It is not possible to give it a number because then it means it is not able to increase which does not make sense one bit.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 07-14-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

Originally Posted by chippedmonk View Post
well, the test at 123 does put your spatial, logical, linguistic and numerical faculties to work. i think it's fairly well-rounded in that sense, as these are the same areas that are covered in standard IQ tests. plus, it's timed. while it doesn't assess your short-term memory, which certain tests do, i think this test gives you a fairly good indication of your abilities in the domains mentioned.

Yeah, itís a mini-test, and thereís not really a definitive scientific consensus on what constitutes the whole of intelligence, but it might be a good approximation generally. The biggest thing missing might be a knowledgeable psychologist administering it . Without that, a lot of smart people will be given false scores.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:27 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

According to what you have just said the older you get the dumber you become?!

How is that possible?

Intelligence is memory related. It is not about how much you know it is about how much one is able to remember.
All humans are born with capacity of knowledge it is installed in us to know things. It is in our dna. The faster the memory and the greater the intelligence.

Here is a question the IQ.
Are all shapes in our universe defined?
There are billions of shapes light create and have no defining name to them. Just because they have no specific title to them does not mean they do not exist. It means we are unable to establish what shape they are because one they alter all the time and two there is one created every second of every minute.
In otherwise it is an impossibility.
Intelligence is the same. It is not possible to give it a number because then it means it is not able to increase which does not make sense one bit.

Intelligence is more than memory related. How much you can remember and how quickly you can recall it is only one kind of intelligence.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

Intelligence is more than memory related. How much you can remember and how quickly you can recall it is only one kind of intelligence.
One kind of intelligence?
There is only one human and that is one kind.
Are you suggesting there is more humans of different kinds?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-14-2018, 04:42 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

One kind of intelligence?

There is only one human and that is one kind.

Are you suggesting there is more humans of different kinds?

No just, people are intelligent in different ways in general. Sometimes this is represented in special specific skills, and sometimes not.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe