WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Birthday

Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185
Default Birthday

The Birthday Present

Eyes sealed and arms hanging loosely, he lay in bed as quiet and as still as he could be. All of his attention focused on the area slightly above the bridge of his nose, he waited patiently for a sign.

Today was his birthday, and for a birthday present all he sought was a message from the sweetheart he lost much too soon. A word or a sign from her was what he desired--nothing material.

In the quietness and the darkness of his bedroom he remained alert, viligantly observing the blackness in front of him, in what, not so long ago, he had learned was called his third eye.

For ten minutes he lay without opening his eye lids, without making a peep. And just as he appeared to give up on his quest, to get out of bed, and to consider what he had been trying to do nothing but mere nonsense, something showed up on the screen of his mind.

He saw yellow smiley faces--hundreds of them. And they were shooting across the screen of his mind the way a shower of meteors might shoot across the sky. Some smiley faces zoomed toward him while others zoomed away from him. They flooded the space of his mind.

Disappointed, he opened his eyes and stood up in bed to turn on the lamp. He didn't receive any message from his lost love, just a bunch of worthless smiley faces. Should he try again he thought? Better not, he told himself. He had an appointment with a friend in thirty minutes.

He jumped from bed, dressed quickly, and left his apartment--still agonizing that she had failed to contact him. On the way out of his building, he stopped by his mailbox to see whether he had any mail. Opening his box, he noticed a single letter in it.

Reaching in, he took it out. It was a square letter, shaped like a birthday card. Someone hadn't forgotten him on his birthday he thought. Tearing the top off the envelop, he pulled out the card, and as he stared at it, his jaw dropped immediately.

The birthday card had smiley faces all over it. Was this the sign from his sweetheart he sought? Or did he psychically tune into the birthday card in his mailbox when he lay meditating in bed? There wasn't any way for him to know what the truth was. Nevertheless he exited his building pleased with his birthday present.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-14-2012 at 04:38 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

That was actually kinda cool

I liked the simple way it was told and the not so overdone sweetness

I read last week but comp ate my comments so here they are again, er, sorta

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing