WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Novellas

Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638
Default Novellas

Due to recent/current events I had some thing just flow and a large part of it just almost wrote itself.

What I am running into is that what I've felt is a natural story arc is ending the story in the range of a novella versus a full length novel. (Novella's typically 20,000 to 50,000 words with an "AVERAGE" novella coming in at 30,000.

In today's writing scene, how viable are novella's? Based on a lot of what I see in, say a Barnes and Novel or other book stores, Novella's are typically an authors bit of pretentiousness - something quick that still draws in readers.

Can one break into the scene these days with a novella?

Perhaps with Self Publishing.... ???

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

I don't think novellas are an artists pretentiousness. I think the idea of economy is sometimes the pinnacle of talent if you can pull it off.

I read a couple of self-pubs about a guy who wanted to marry his female (?) robot. The first where he got her, and the second, the fight to marry or have the freedom to do so. They were very entertaining.

If you can write one like Old Man and the Sea, it probably won't matter whether it's in fashion or not. If not, entertainINC is always in style.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

The novellas in the chain book stores are often "quickies" by established authors. Steinbecks The Old Man And The See might be the last successful introductory novella in the book world

Unless you're writing Westerns or SHTF/TEOWAKI books an introductory novel is a magnum opus.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 333

I think the novella has gone the way of the short story collection -- really hard to get one traditionally published if you aren't an established author. Self publishing might be your best bet.

The very first thing I wrote, before I knew anything about publishing or writing fiction was a novella -- close to 20,000 words. Same deal -- it seemed to write itself and I wasn't even concerned with length or format.

It all takes place in one day -- and follows a 9 year old boy through events on the day of his mother's funeral. It's not the drag you would think it might be. I read it again recently -- and it's a lot better than I remembered. I might post some of it and see what folks think.

Last edited by Myers; 04-21-2017 at 04:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Mohican (05-05-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,021

"I might post some of it and see what folks think"

Yes please Myers. Something new to read would be wonderful.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

Yes Myers, do post a chunk.

And you too Mohican.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Grace and BP, I just went over it. Pretty sloppy by my standards -- mostly little things I can clean up pretty quickly.

But how about I post something else in the meantime? It's kind of an experiment for me -- I wanted to write a short story that takes place over a period of time -- and it's a bit surreal and fable-like -- not my usual thing, as you will see BP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (04-23-2017), Grace Gabriel (04-23-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

I have a few things to clean up and I'll post Chapter I.

Unrelated question - Is there something in Word that could take a novella and format it to print so that you could fold a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and get four pages on each sheet?

Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 333

I don't think so. You need print design software for that. If you have Office, then you should have Publisher. You could probably dump your text into that somehow. The problem then is printing front and back -- you'd probably have to take it to a FedEx copy place. They'd print it out on 8 1/2 x 11 or 11 x 17 -- then fold and saddle stitch it for you. I've done that with Adobe InDesign -- but it should work with Publisher too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Mohican (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Myers, thanks. I'll check my version of Office.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

Although novellas can be a hard sell, it's not impossible. There are still publishing houses that take novellas. You just have to research them. A lot of e-publishers are willing to look at them too. Be sure to read all the guidelines as far as word count goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues